• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Natural Disasters Relief Funds

Thanks to everyone who donates to the relief funds set up for the Hurricane disaster.

My home which was located in Arabi, LA (2 miles east of New Orleans) is completely under water and only rooftops can be seen.

I am currently living out of a hotel room outside of Atlanta, GA. I'll post more later but my computer access is limited.

For those that are wondering, the NSX that I purchased in June is safe and sound (although a little dirty) here in Atlanta. It is one of the only physical assets that me and my wife have now. However, I am most thankful that my family is all alive and well.

Thanks again,
Daniel

Nsxdaniel said:
Thanks to everyone who donates to the relief funds set up for the Hurricane disaster.

My home which was located in Arabi, LA (2 miles east of New Orleans) is completely under water and only rooftops can be seen.

I am currently living out of a hotel room outside of Atlanta, GA. I'll post more later but my computer access is limited.

For those that are wondering, the NSX that I purchased in June is safe and sound (although a little dirty) here in Atlanta. It is one of the only physical assets that me and my wife have now. However, I am most thankful that my family is all alive and well.

Thanks again,
Daniel
daniel,

we're pleased you and your family are alive, well and safe... atlanta's not a bad place to be. it's good that your nsx is well, but that's a far distant issue than loved ones. although i'm out in california, please pm me if you feel i may be of help to you and your family in some way.

btw, it might be nice if you would pm me with your hotel/info details.
hal

Re: Disproportionate ?

queenlives said:
wow, $1B USD in damages is significant...

i hear what you're saying and appreciate your viewpoint, thanks for the comments.

Yes, it is a huge amount... some small tourist-ski-places in the Alps disappeared under the mud... very sad. :frown:

HB7cbUjL_Pxgen_r_420xA.jpg

HBvwCeUc_Pxgen_r_420xA.jpg

Glad to hear that the fellow NSXers are ok! :)

Re: Disproportionate ?

gheba_nsx said:
Yes, it is a huge amount... some small tourist-ski-places in the Alps disappeared under the mud... very sad. :frown:

HB7cbUjL_Pxgen_r_420xA.jpg

HBvwCeUc_Pxgen_r_420xA.jpg

Glad to hear that the fellow NSXers are ok! :)
amazing :(

queenlives said:
while i don't find any *current* listings of american relief offers, it's clear that back in 2002 when this happened to that region, americans offered support: http://www.austria.org/press/266.html.

The discussion was not about if 'you' ever helped someone else, the question was why there was no huge international relief fund as we have seen for the tsunami victims, where you claimed that it was because its the US, which i do not believe, hence my examples. Read.

Shinola huh.

Re: Natural Disaster Relief Funds

The reply to your question on foreign donations was answered on todays news. Many nations gave money - Kuwait at the top of the list, donating $500 MILLION to the relief fund. Japan was an incredible $200,000! :confused: I hope that was a misprint because although it is a large amount of money for us, or maybe for a State to donate, IMHO for a country like Japan, it is small, or to put it plainly, an insult! We have given Japan billions in aid. I wonder what is driving that?

Personally, I was looking at a set of tan leather seats here that were selling for a very good price of $700. Nothing really wrong with the old ones, but I prefer tan. I was about to get them, but changed my mind and gave that money to the Red Cross instead. Now my old seats feel a little better than they ever have! :smile:

Zap

MegaZap said:
The reply to your question on foreign donations was answered on todays news. Many nations gave money - Kuwait at the top of the list, donating $500 MILLION to the relief fund. Japan was an incredible $200,000! :confused: I hope that was a misprint because although it is a large amount of money for us, or maybe for a State to donate, IMHO for a country like Japan, it is small, or to put it plainly, an insult! We have given Japan billions in aid. I wonder what is driving that?

Personally, I was looking at a set of tan leather seats here that were selling for a very good price of $700. Nothing really wrong with the old ones, but I prefer tan. I was about to get them, but changed my mind and gave that money to the Red Cross instead. Now my old seats feel a little better than they ever have! :smile:

Zap
like many other americans, i've wondered where the international support was... and it's been good to see the rest of the world beginning to respond, regardless of the level/type of support.

queenlives said:
like many other americans, i've wondered where the international support was... and it's been good to see the rest of the world beginning to respond, regardless of the level/type of support.

Yesterday there has been a poll among the dutch people, where 40% was suprised there hasn't been a int. relief fund as was for asia (me included), and 50% said they would donate money if such a thing was organized.
Last week a 'war ship' (sorry don't know proper name), fully loaded with goods was sent off to the US, and as a site note was mentioned that the US president did not ask for any help, though the goods where sent anyway.

Every evening again i see pictures on the TV which are not supposed to be a part of the western civilisation.

DutchBlackNsx said:
Yesterday there has been a poll among the dutch people, where 40% was suprised there hasn't been a int. relief fund as was for asia (me included), and 50% said they would donate money if such a thing was organized.
Last week a 'war ship' (sorry don't know proper name), fully loaded with goods was sent off to the US, and as a site note was mentioned that the US president did not ask for any help, though the goods where sent anyway.

Every evening again i see pictures on the TV which are not supposed to be a part of the western civilisation.
dutch,

thx for the post... i signed on (again) to reply specifically to you due to our earlier postings.

as i said in an earlier posting (and has been echoed many times in the american press), many americans were wondering where the support was from the international community in the early post-storm days (as a matter of fact, many americans were wondering where our govt was, but that's another thread). many speculate that the US is perceived as being able to take care of itself, no matter what happens. in this case, it's clear to most that we're in need of support from whomever can lend a hand.

while our death toll isn't on the scale of the earthquake/tsunami of last year, the area hit is both massive in size (90,000 square miles) and in many areas, simply uninhabitable... tens of thousands of people will be displaced and that, in itself, begins a chain of events that will take us many years to recover from.

i'm sure everyone has a favorite charity to donate to (depending on the crisis), but in the US one of the top charities for these situations is the american red cross. here is a list of organizations as presented by the well-regarded and neutral web community, craigslist:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/help/katrina_aid.html

best,
hal

UPDATE Re: Natural Disasters Relief Funds

comprehensive list of donations by nations:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/06/international.aid/index.html

So far, 94 countries and international organizations have offered aid, according to a State Department spokesman. Here is its partial list of nations from which the United States has received support:

# Afghanistan: $100,000

# Armenia: $100,000

# Australia: $7.6 million

# Azerbaijan: $500,000

# Bahamas: $50,000

# Bahrain: $5 million

# Bangladesh: $1 million

# Belgium: Medical/logistics teams to Red Cross

# Canada: 2 helicopters, 32-person rescue team, Air Canada evacuation flights, medical supplies

# China: $5.1 million cash and relief supplies

# Djibouti: $50,000

# Finland: 3 logisticians to Red Cross

# France: Tents, tarps, Meals Ready to Eat (MREs), water treatment supplies

# Gabon: $500,000

# Georgia: $50,000

# Germany: MREs and high speed pumps

# Greece: Cruise ships, private offer of an International Committee of the Red Cross Web-based tracing system

# India: $5 million

# Israel: Tents, first aid kits, baby formula

# Italy: Generators, water pumps/purifiers, tents, medical supplies

# Japan: $1 million cash, generators, tents, blankets, bottled water

# Kuwait: $400 million in oil, $100 million cash

# Maldives: $25,000 cash

# Mexico: Bedding, MREs, baby care items, personal hygiene kits

# NATO: Coordinating European assistance offers

# Norway: $1.54 million in relief supplies

# Organization of American States: $25,000 cash

# Qatar: $100 million cash

# Republic of Korea: $30 million cash and in-kind donations

# Saudi Arabia: $255 million from Aramco

# Singapore: 3 helicopters

# Sri Lanka: $25,000 cash

# Taiwan: $2 million cash, medical supplies

# Thailand: Large amounts of food

# United Arab Emirates: $100 million cash

# United Kingdom: MREs

# U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs: U.N. Disaster Assessment and Coordination Team and logistics support

# U.N. World Health Organization: Public health officers and logisticians

# Venezuela: Up to $1 million to Red Cross

Re: UPDATE Re: Natural Disasters Relief Funds

gheba_nsx said:
It is everyday in the news that Switzerland is trying to deliver mens&aids but it seems to exist a problem coordinating them in the US (the same is happening with Germany):

http://www.swissinfo.org/sen/swissinfo.html?siteSect=107&sid=6075257&cKey=1126276957000

Very terrible what we see in TV about the touched zones :(
gheba,

apparently we - the vast majority of americans - can't figure out what happened to our government's response to this disaster... and it's showing pretty dramatically in the post-katrina polls.

i've come to think of it as a Category 5 Goat Rodeo and i thank god that something of this magnitude hasn't hit us in california (yet).

hal

Back