• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need Feedback re: OEM Stereo cutting out (yes I read the faq)

Okay, I read the FAQ and this sounds like it's the usual amp problem, but I want to be sure before I go pulling the doors apart and sending off the amps to be repaired.

Starting last week, if I turn my OEM stereo up past about 9 o'clock on the volume dial, it cuts out entirely. Sometimes if I leave it off for a while it'll be more accomodating.

Sometimes it cuts out when there's any significant sound at all, especially with bass sounds, even with the volume almost all the way down.

The cut-outs tend to be about three seconds off, one on, rinse and repeat. Sometimes just the right goes out, sometimes both sides go out.

Is this the same old problem or maybe a loose/crossed wire somewhere?

There is one power source for all the speaker amps that comes from Fuse 51 and goes through a relay that is controlled by the head unit. This would be the obvious place to start checking if all your speakers are dead at the same time. Also there is a cell phone muting input that might be getting activated but that's a long shot.

When the Bose speaker amps start acting up they frequently all fail at about the same time or at least in the same year.

I do have a car with the cell-phone installed. Everything but the handset is still connected.

I suspect, though, that it's nothing to do with the cell-phone mute, because that's probably passed through the head unit and therefore wouldn't cut only one speaker out.

Sounds like bad Bose speaker amps. I think they all fail, mostly because of cheap capacitors. For such a great car it's a shame to have a such a crappy stereo. At least it not just the NSX that has amp problems, all the car systems that Bose built have the same problem. Even Cadillac and Corvette

I had the same problem, searched the f.a.q., contacted the Bose refurbishers, and presto... 300 bucks and 3 weeks later my system works great. Since each speaker (L/R door and sub at the passenger's feet) are all run off their own individual amps it is smart to just send them all in even if you only have a problem with one or two so they can each get the updated components. They factory that does the repair will open each unit and replace the crappy original bose components with updated less crappy ones (making them the same as the latest edition of the speaker encloser). The reason it is so cheap is because they do not replace the speaker itself, the housing or wiring just update/replace/change some poorly designed amp components which are 97% of the problems with this system (according to the refurbishers). It will not sound as good as new since the speakers are still old but it will be much better and about $2000 cheaper then replacing all 3 speaker/amp enclosers... you should be pleased. The fourth speaker in question is the rear speaker that sits between the seats. It is not refurbished because it is run by the amp that controls the sub at the passenger's feet. Since they do not replace speakers there is no need to send it in, but updating the sub amp should fix the rear speaker problems as well. If you have problems with the speakers themselves you may be able to visually detect it when you take the units out then ask the factory to quote you on replacing them seperately. They may be able to otherwise you will have to purchase new ones or replace them yourself if you can find the right speaker. Good luck and welcome to one of the most popular frustrations with the NSX... God bless it.

Many people just replace the capacitors themselves and it is very cheap. I wouldn't go spending too much money when you can upgrade with better aftermarket speakers using the stock spaces for not too much money. If you upgrade your head unit, that's when it can get expensive getting a new console.

www.carstereohelp.com

They fixed mine for me and are very professional and friendly. They are familiar with the NSX set up as well.

It is a good idea if you are trying to keep everything stock and save a few bucks, but Aiken is right you can get much better sound from an aftermarket system. The problem is how much do you want to spend? Installing after market speakers will require some type of housing for them and I know I don't want any cheap housings in my NSX.

Good luck.

Back