• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

need help on tire size!!!

hi everybody i would like to ask what is the best size for nsx tires?
i just got a new wheels 17/18 and i really dont know what size or what brand is good for it
thanks for your hepl my friends and

MERRY CRISTMAS
GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY

dimitrios

For 17"/18" wheels, get 215/40-17 front tires and 265/35-18 rear tires. (255/35-18 will also work in the rear, but 265/35-18 is more common.) These sizes will work on all years NSX and won't cause rubbing or TCS problems.

Happy Hanukkah! ;)

here is the thread with the wheels i am getting (THANKS PRIME)
the previus owner told me that he had on theese 275 rear tire.
is that a litle to wide for an NSX or its good to go
thanks for your help
dimitrios
merry cristmas!!!!!!!!!!!!

275 is a bit too wide and will not give your car the best handling, due to the excessive stagger (difference in treadwidth, front vs rear). Stick with 265.

Happy Hannukkah! And best wishes of the holiday season to everyone, regardless of faith!

I'm running 275's in the rear. I've experienced better handling and traction characteristics since I upgraded from 255's.

SilverStone05 said:
I'm running 275's in the rear. I've experienced better handling and traction characteristics since I upgraded from 255's.
For street use, wider tread provides no significant performance improvement. If you're looking for better performance, concentrate on getting better, stickier tires, rather than wider tires.

is anybody knows that tire?
DUNLOP SP SPORT FM901 i really dont know a lot obout it its w rated 168 mph
thanks

I had a set of dunlop FM901's some time ago... not the best tire, not the quietest tire, but they were cheap and lasted a while.

In the inexpensive tire market it's usually hard to beat kumho's... what about a set of ecsta spt's?

sizes should be:
215/40/17 (F)
255-265-275/35/18 (R)

is anybody knows that tire?
DUNLOP SP SPORT FM901 i really dont know a lot obout it its w rated 168 mph
The FM901 is a really terrible older tire that does not compare well to today's best offerings. Even in the budget price category, its performance is a lot worse. That's why Dunlop introduced its newer, and much better, Direzza DZ101 tire in the budget price category (and its SP Sport Maxx as its top of the line).

Lots of very good tires are available for the NSX, and my summarized recommendations are bolded below. I'll confine the discussion to summer tires, under the assumption that you do not drive your NSX in snow or frigid cold (or you have winter tires for that purpose), so you do not need all-season tires.

Summer tires tend to break down into three broad categories:

a. Specialty tires with exceptional traction and handling on dry pavement. These tires are almost like track tires. Their downsides are that they tend to wear rapidly and are not all that great in rain or on wet pavement. The best of these overall is the Falken Azenis RT-615; other decent choices include the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD, Bridgestone RE-01R, and Yokohama Advan Neova AD07. (The latter two are not available in North America in NSX sizes.)

b. Top-of-the-line tires with excellent traction and handling on dry pavement, outstanding traction and handling on wet pavement, and very good treadlife ("very good" being a relative term on the NSX ;) ). The only downside is that they tend to be expensive. The best of these include the OEM tires for the NSX (Yokohama A022H and Bridgestone Potenza RE010) - which are available only for the stock wheel sizes and not Dimitri's 17"/18" combination - and the Goodyear F1 GS-D3. (The Goodyear F1 GS-D3 won the recent comparison test of eleven top-of-the-line tires in Car and Driver.) Other decent choices include the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, and Dunlop SP Sport Maxx.

c. "Budget performance tires" which are designed to offer good performance at a lower price. With the best of these, their performance (both dry and wet) is quite good although not at a level of the tires in the previous category. The best tires in this performance category include the Kumho Ecsta SPT, Yokohama ES100, Avon Tech M500, Dunlop Direzza DZ101, Falken FK-452, Toyo T1-R, Bridgestone Potenza RE750, and BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW2. All offer similar performance. The first five tend to cost less than the last three, and the Kumho SPT tends to be the least expensive of all of these.

So then it's a matter of deciding which tire category is best for you:

a. If you want the absolutely best traction on dry pavement, and you're willing to give up wet traction and treadlife for it, then go with category (a) and the Falken Azenis RT-615.

b. If you want excellent dry traction and wet traction and treadlife, then go with category (b) and either the OEM tires or the Goodyear F1 GS-D3.

c. If you're willing to accept somewhat lower performance in exchange for a lower purchase price for your tires, then go with category (c) and the Kumho SPT.
(Personally, I don't see much point in spending a lot of money on a high-performance car like an NSX, only to then degrade its performance in order to save a few bucks on tires, but hey, different strokes...) (It's also worth noting that if you're going to use your car for an occasional track event, you should probably avoid this category entirely.)

The recommended Falken Azenis RT-615, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, and Kumho Ecsta SPT are all available in 215/40-17 and 265/35-18, for those using 17" and 18" wheels. The OEM tires are not.

Last edited:
Back