• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need help picking out a bike!

I'm not much of a cycling enthusiast. I like mountain biking enough, but I don't really go out of my way to go biking all the time. But now I have been invited by the VP of my company to join him and the president of the company on a bike team. To be crystal clear, I need to purchase a bike for corporate political reasons. The VP was laughing as he was hinting at my future in spandex, as he isn't really into biking either. Politics as usual. :rolleyes:

I actually look forward to a new hobby, at least one healthier than COD:MW2 and endless hours trying to Prestige. I am even thinking about trying for a biathlons. But I don't really know where to begin when purchasing a bike for speed. I figure some of you guys are probably big into cycling, so fill me in on the basics and what type of bike I should be looking for.

mountain or road bike? price limit?

you really can't go wrong with Cannondale, Specialized or Trek for quality and price. you won't come across as a snob either. you don't want to show up in a bike like Colnago or Look and then finish dead last, not because they are better bikes... but because they are flashier

^ Agreed.

I have always ridden Specialized. Cannondales are great bikes but are more expensive than Specialized or Trek for the same set-up (components) because the frames are all fabricated in the United States and labor is more expensive. Specialized and Trek build their very top-of-the-line frames in the USA but everything else is built in China.

If this is your first road bike, I would recommend an aluminum frame. Aluminum frames are more comfortable (less stiff) than carbon fiber and less expensive.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45681&menuItemId=0

Happy cycling.

Jack

There is actually a Trek store near my house, so I will check them out.

And this is for a road bike, not a mountain bike. I have a beautiful mountain bike and that will always be my preference. But in a place like Ohio, let's be honest, there are no mountains. :frown:

As for price, I am aiming for between $1000 - $1500. Any more than that and I'm wasting money on a sport that I may end up hating. If I end up loving it, I can upgrade later. And I agree with Nick; I don't need to be a poser and buy beyond my capability. I just want something nice enough that I won't be dissatisfied with the purchase.

Jack, that Specialized bike looks VERY nice. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
It really depends what your biking group are riding and their experience. What brands are they riding? Are they riding exotic Italian brands?

I'm guessing if he is the President of a pretty large company, he has a pretty nice bike $5K+. You don't have to neccessarily buy the same bike as he does, but you don't want to look silly either.

Keep in mind, you will have to buy gear also. You will need a nice helmet, shorts, jersey, shoes, pedals, pump, gloves, saddle bag, etc.

Consider a used bike on craigslist.

Search for a carbon bike:

Bike brands to consider:

You should go with a Giant TCR, Specialized Tarmac, Fuji Team Pro, Trek, GT GTR Series, Felt.

For a brand new bike in your price range of $1000-$1500, I would look at the Fuji Team Pro or GT GTR bikes at Performance Bikes.

I've seen the 2008 and 2009 version in your price range in the stores:
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes//Product_10052_10551_1085680_-1___

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes//Product_10052_10551_1073126_-1___

Cannondale Road bikes are not as good as their Mountain bikes. Their entry-mid level bikes are not very good value.

Double or Triple Crankset
Serious road bikers will have mostly Doubles. Triple Cranksets have a "granny gear" that make sit easier to climb hills. You said there isn't many hills where you live, so a Double will be ok. Plus it doesn't make you look like a newbie.

Components and Groupsets
You will have to decide what kind of component groupset you want on your bike. The groupset includes: shifters, brakes calipers, front and rear deraileurs, crankset, etc.

There are 3 major component groupset manufacturer:
- Shimano (most popluar)
- Campagnolo (mostly for the exotic bikes)
- SRAM

The Shimano groupset include (worst to best):
Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Dura-Ace

Campgnolo groupset are mostly out of your price range unless your buying a used bike.

The SRAM groupset include (worst to best):
Rival, Force, Reds

If you getting a bike with Shimano, I would get at least 105s, possibly Ultegras. Dura-Ace will probably be out of your price range.

Buying gear online

One of the best online places to buy gear is Probikekit.com. (PBK). They ship from Britian but they are fast and shipping is cheap or free. The prices are the lowest around.

Components and Grouping

Last edited:
Or just buy a $7K+ Colnago and a matching Tour de France Team clothing.

When you get to the meeting point time with you bike, have an excuse for them why you can't ride today:

-have your wife call you and tell them you have to catch up with them
-buy tubular tires instead of clinchers and puncture the tire

Back