• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

need help with my first purchase on nsx t

I took 96 nsx-t to Acura to have them check out the car and before I purchase the car this is all the issue with nsx they told me.
WIPER SWITCH MALFUCTION
CV BOOT LEAK
SLIGHT OIL LEAKS
ABS SYSTEM ABNORMAL OPERATION

I am first time nsx buyer and don't know if its worth buying the car with that many issue and how much will it cost to repair.
thanks

all of those are typical issues with a 23 yo nsx.....just negotiate a fair price...

ABS is a known issue that a few of us have experienced. Some folks by-pass the ABS and others upgrade to later version. Some basic references listed below
https://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Abs
https://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Upgrade_to_2000-2005_ABS_using_SOS_kit
https://www.scienceofspeed.com/inde...em/scienceofspeed-na2-abs-system-upgrade.html

As [MENTION=4282]docjohn[/MENTION] mentioned, it a 20+ year old car and will have problems like any old car. Anything related to seals will need addressing. Therefore, it is not surprising that the CV Boots and Oil are leaking.

In general, if those are the only items that need attention then you are in pretty decent shape. Just be aware that PPI cannot find everything and be prepare for surprises. Having old records from the seller helps.

The wiper switch malfunction could be a pricey issue if it is in fact the switch and is not something simple like contact cleaning. The replacement switch is somewhere between $800 - $900 US$. However, there are a lot of other things that can cause the washers to malfunction that are much cheaper to fix. Make sure that it is actually the switch that is the problem.

Negotiate a price based upon the seller fixing the wiper problem or adjust your offer price to allow for repair / replacement of the wiper switch.

CV boot leak may be a big or not so big problem. If the boot has leaked the grease out and the joint(s) are starting to run dry the tri pod assembly may be damaged and you are likely into replacement of the axle assemblies. That is significant $. Even if the leak is small and the joints have no damage the cost to remove the axles, repack the joints and replace the boots if they are damaged is not trivial. As part of the inspection the dealership should be able to advise whether the joints have excessive play which means replacement or whether you are just into the less costly remove and repack with boot replacement. The dealership should be able to give you a cost range.

don't think that's 'many issues' for an 20+ years old car. if you're looking for a perfect car, get a new one.

I took 96 nsx-t to Acura to have them check out the car and before I purchase the car this is all the issue with nsx they told me.
WIPER SWITCH MALFUCTION
CV BOOT LEAK
SLIGHT OIL LEAKS

I am first time nsx buyer and don't know if its worth buying the car with that many issue and how much will it cost to repair.
thanks

WIPER SWITCH MALFUCTION
CV BOOT LEAK
SLIGHT OIL LEAKS

thanks
Maybe it's just me, but unless the car is really priced to sell (and compensate for the issues that you've described), I'd keep looking! What is the price and how many miles are on the car?

That seems like a reasonable list of items for a car of this age. Factor it into your offer and you should be fine.

no history at all

Any maintenance history. Might want to factor in timing belt service.

no history at all but i found one in austin 91nsx for $56K with 65k miles and he have some history but wont go down in price, is that resonable price

Last edited:
I paid $65k plus $1k shipping and $1k trip to look at it a few months ago in California for a silver 99 with 52k miles looking like new, inside and out, top and bottom, no oil leaks. Dealer installed a new set of tires. I paid up at a dealer on consignment and lots of recent maintenance.

I paid around $1k to fix fan speed control, get key to work on driver's door, and rear hood struts.
Fixed the wiper washer motor myself for $40. Hard to find everything in a PPI. Actually the Acura
dealer was taking too long with the PPI like more than 24 hours so I said throw in a set of tires and it's sold.
Car was missing the red key. No problem there unless you want a duplicate key with Acura insignia on it. Remember the bad old days
before EPROMs when keys weren't programmable by the dealer, the security computer had to be programmed to the key, that is what the red key is for?

Car had $7,000 of recent maintenance like timing belt, seals, etc and was up to date.

I'd say your car needing a couple $3-4k of work on ABS system most likely replace with updated system, $1k for wiper switch, more miles
and unknown maintenance history is not as good a deal as mine. Count on $2k for timing belt, $1k for CV boots, $700 for fan speed control and who knows what else for whatever?

Why don't you take it to Carl at C&M in Stafford for a PPI? He often has 3-4 NSXs in his shop. He can tell you how much to get it up to snuff. He has worked on NSXs for 20 years or more and now has his own shop. 281-498-6364 His labor rate is $95 an hour vs Acura dealer $150. Acura dealer PPI may be dicey as technician likely may have not been around from 1991-2005.

$60k seems a little steep to me given the unknowns... Why don't you drive 60 miles to my house near Sugar Land and I'll give you a look/see and ride in my 99? PM me.

Last edited:
Back