• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need opinions on Potenza RE050A tires

I'm running Bridgestone S-03's on my car now and am looking for wider (295/35-18) rear tires that are not available in the S-03's. I'm considering the Potenza RE050A tire because it is rated very well and it comes in the wider size.

If anyone has expeirence with this tire, please let me know how you like them.

PS: My car is a high powered twin turbo and has 235/40-17 in the front and 275/35-18 in the rear. The rim widths are 8 inch in the front and 10.5 inch in the rear.

Thanks for any imput!

I had those tires on a set of oem 94-97ish wheels I had for a while. Frankly, I didnt push them hard enough to give real feedback here, but the tread pattern seemed very similar to the oem Bridgestones, and overall they didnt make much noise, etc.

In regards to traction, etc, youd probably be better suited to listen to others as I dont have the power you have, etc.

stevenlee said:
I'm running Bridgestone S-03's on my car now and am looking for wider (295/35-18) rear tires that are not available in the S-03's. I'm considering the Potenza RE050A tire because it is rated very well and it comes in the wider size.

PS: My car is a high powered twin turbo and has 235/40-17 in the front and 275/35-18 in the rear. The rim widths are 8 inch in the front and 10.5 inch in the rear.

Thanks for any imput!

Discussed endlessly elsewhere, a few RE050A discussions:

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=208809
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=123&t=179898
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/bs_RE050A_rd_c.jsp

John, thanks for the links. The last time I looked for tires for the NSX was over a year ago and I didn't even hear of the RE050A's. The "official literature" seems to indicate that the RE050 is a better tire for the dry and perhaps more responsive handling and longer tread life.

Has anyone driven the RE050A's on an NSX?

Is there any reason I should NOT mix the RE050A's on the back while I use up the S-03's on the front. (Note: I will not be driving the car at the limit or on the track.)

Thanks

S03's are not avaible any longer in the sizes i need for my NSX (275/18), so i had to choose to go with the 050's or get a different brand.

Problem was that there was no feedback (yet) of the 050's here as well, so, i went with some other tires, which i allready regret :)

Still got the S03's in the front though.

stevenlee said:

Thanks for any imput!

FYI,

The SO3's come in 285/30/18.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Bridgestone&model=Potenza+S-03+Pole+Position

i have a couple thousand miles on my RE050A's now (on the X, of course), and i would give them at least a 50/50 shot of being replaced with the same items when the time comes.

i've been a michelin man for over 25 years now, so i might be a little biased...immediately prior to the bridgestones, i had michelin pilot sports, and i wanted to go with those again; but michelin, in its infinite wisdom, decided that consumers like me weren't smart enough to know what we want. so they came out with PS2, and stopped production of the PS. i woulda bought the PS2's if my size had been available at the time (early in production, of course). hence, RE050A.

i immediately noticed a HUGE difference in handling, and not to positive effect. the michelins had been razor sharp--all i had to do was THINK where i wanted to be, and i was there. the bridgestones were skwarshy and wallowing in the center, tram-lined pretty badly, and vague at turn in. i could induce some pretty hairy oscillations anywhere from 2-5 Hz, +/-~10 degrees input, above 65 mph. it was downright scary to drive over 1@@.

my first reaction was to get an alignment, and that has helped somewhat--at least it's more clear-cut in the center, although turn-in is still vague, and the tram-lining and oscillations are better-damped. obviously, i need some new front-end bushings.

i'll say this--what the bridgestones lack in razor crispness, they make up for in GRIP! the PS's have a wear rating of 220, but the 050A's are rated at 140, and those babies will stick. the 050A's are quieter new than the PS's were new, also.

anyhow, like i said, i'd at least consider buying them again, especially if michelin gets stupid.

don't know if this helps, but at least it's worth what you paid for it.

2slow 2speed....Thanks for mentioning the 285/30-18's. I already have short gears and a 4.23 ring & pinion. I think the 30 series tire would be too small in diameter for my lower gearing and I'm trying to keep a 35 series rear tire to better match the 40 series fronts.

Zomby woof......I see that the PS2's come in the sizes I want. I like the tread wear rating of 220. From your comments, I wasn't sure if you didn't like this tire or if it just didn't come in the size you wanted. Any further comments???

I'm now considering the PS2's for the rears and would change the fronts to them later....Or I could get the RE050's for the rears now and hope they wear out at the same time my fronts do.

Thanks for the comments!

Back