• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need someone familiar with NSX wheel fitment

Just a note to people looking to buy aftermarket wheels for your NSX (new or used) All cars have a "sweet spot" offset range. For example for a 18/19 combo for a stock fendered NSX......

Example
18x8.0 with 215 wide tire range +33mm to about +43mm
19x9.5 with 265 wide tire range +35mm to about +45mm
(we usually try to hit the lower end for best clearance, and looks. So sometimes if a wheel is only available in a +42mm, we may use a 5mm spacer with it to net a +37mm for some extra caliper clearance for a BBK, and for better cosmetic looks at the fender lip).

100 wheels bought in this range, 75% will fit perfect. 25% will not, due to spoke shape. The offset places the tire in the wheelwell, and the same offset on all 100 wheels, will place that tire in the exact same spot every time. BUT due to spoke shape, the 25% will have straight spokes, or extra thick spokes etc. For an example a popular wheel (HP EVO) fits perfectly in the offset range, but these wheels have a deep lip (2.25" in front, and 3.25" in the rear) With a lip, the spokes need to be straight from the hub area to creat the lip. Guess what? They will hit the caliper on the NSX! A 5mm spacer is required. No big deal, but its noce to know these things ahead of time from sellers. The rears are ok due to the extra width of the wheel. A wheel like the Volk TE-37 clears no problem, due to no lip, plus the added clearance of a curved outward spoke shape. Do you think the engineers did this for a reason? Yep! Extra caliper clearance, for cars with BBK's.

Also a side note.

Wheel spacers are nothing to be afraid of as long as you know the rules.
2mm, 3mm, 5mm spacers don't need to be hubcentric, because your wheel will still come in contact with the stock hub, as long as you are using hubcentric rings with your aftermarket wheels.

Anything over 5mm should use a spacer with a new hub built in. (Dali, H&R, or mine) These also require extra length studs. You should get about 6 1/2 turns with your lug nuts. If you get less that that, you need extended studs.

Ask for a written return policy on all wheels you buy, if they do not fit, to CYA!

Happy motoring!

Tom

I have Works VSKF with 18x8 front and 18x10 rear. The front I can't remember the offset but rear is +59. No rubbing with about half inch clearance between wheel and OEM shocks and springs. No spacer required.

I have Works VSKF with 18x8 front and 18x10 rear. The front I can't remember the offset but rear is +59. No rubbing with about half inch clearance between wheel and OEM shocks and springs. No spacer required.

You need a spacer to have your rear look correct. Your rear may fit, but with such a high offset, it will sit in too far for a good match with how your front sits with the fender. Even on our extreme 315 wide tire with a 11.25 wide rim, we only go as high as a +48mm.

Rear wheel. R-disk. Yes it's a truck. I need to lower the car down. :)
rim3.jpg

rim1.jpg

You need a spacer to have your rear look correct. Your rear may fit, but with such a high offset, it will sit in too far for a good match with how your front sits with the fender. Even on our extreme 315 wide tire with a 11.25 wide rim, we only go as high as a +48mm.

You sure you didn't get the +47 offset in the rear? That wheel seems too flush for a +59.

Actually, I take that back it could be. I forgot you weren't lowered. When you lower it, the wheel will sit much further in.

Here's my 19x10 +35 lowered (275/30/19 Kumho SPT) on Eibachs:
11581nsxrear1.jpg

If I was to go 18x8 and 18x10 with 35mm offset all around would they be flush or even with the lip?? I assume/hope so, I have always seem to run just about 35mm on all wheel setups I have ran (approx. 15-16 sets this far :) )

Yes. We run on average........

215-40-17 or 215-35-18 +33mm to +38mm

265-35-18 or 265-30-19 +35mm to +40mm

Obviously we do many different combos. This is just the common 17/18 and 18/19 combo. Yes we have fit 235 wide fronts and 315 wide rears in back of a stock car , and 255 wide fronts on a Sorcery WB and infinity in back! :)

For a perfect fit.

Remember is is better to "err" high, because you can always add a small spacer for extra caliper clearance. If you start at a +33mm, but need 5 more mm to clear the caliper you are screwed, because a +30mm net is too low. Whereas if you started at +40mm and need 5mm to clear, you are a net +35mm and still ok. In a perfect world you just test fit a wheel before buying, but when you custom order some WORK or Volk wheels etc, and wait 3 months, only to find out you need a bit more room.........

We try to ALWAYS do our homework on wheel fitments, and we have a lot of NSX experience. I keep a lot of notes, and do a lot of test fitting (helps to have NSX's in our collection from stock to a NSX with Porsche Cayanne calipers!!!! We also test fit as many wheels as possible to our Stoptech car, which is by far the most common BBK.

If I was to go 18x8 and 18x10 with 35mm offset all around would they be flush or even with the lip?? I assume/hope so, I have always seem to run just about 35mm on all wheel setups I have ran (approx. 15-16 sets this far :) )

I have found on an 18x8" +35 offset is a bit too low, the edge of the lip sticks just a hair past the fender. 18x8 works best with a +38 offset from my experience.

18x10 or 19x10 rears with a +35 offset is perfect IMO.

Remember that the spacing from the fender is dependent both on the width of the rim AND the offset. The good offsets for 18x8" wheel for the fronts seem to be +38 to +43. For 18x7.5 the range would be +32 to +37

Use this calculator to calculate other widths:
http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

I would like to know if this is an ok fitment for 1992 NSX.

front: 18x8 with a +40 offset and 215/35/18
rear: 19x9.5 with a +38 offset and 275/30/19

Wondering if the front, the offset would you need spacers?

Wondering for the rears would a 275/30/19 be ok and not too wide for it to rub the inside or outside fenders?

I prefer 275/30/19 more than 265/30/19 and will it affect the TCS in which ever rear tire size I choose??

Thank you :smile:

From my own experience it would be best to have 18x7.5 for the front if you want to use 215/35/18. More protection to the lip of the wheels.

Wondering for the rears would a 275/30/19 be ok and not too wide for it to rub the inside or outside fenders?

I prefer 275/30/19 more than 265/30/19 and will it affect the TCS in which ever rear tire size I choose??

Please read the posts! RP-Motorsports answered your exact questions a few posts before yours!

Back