• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need to borrow Stock ECU for troubleshooting my NSX

Hello fellow NSXers,

I have a 1993 NSX and just replaced my 02 sensors front and rear, but am getting a CEL code of 42. My mechanic says that he can't find the issue, and now is telling me that it might be my ECU. I find it very hard to believe its my ECU, and feel like it was a wiring mishap in my 02 Sensor wires, but he's spent 2 days and over 6 hrs trying to diagnose. I don't want to buy a used ECU because I never had this problem prior to taking my NSX into him to take a look. I would like to see if I can borrow someones ECU. I believe 91 thru 94 should work, or if someone has a stock unit that I could borrow for awhile, I would really appreciate it. I could lend you my ECU as well so there is no downtime for you. I can't pass smog because of this problem, and its been quite irritating.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Have you been able to fix your problem yet? I don't know of anyone that is going to pull out their ECU for you to test but you may be able to get your car to Southcoast Acura, Power Honda or Autowave and they all have the diagnostic ability to trouble shoot your Code. It looks to be Sensor 1, Bank 1 rear heater circut on your O2 sensor. Is 42 the only code you are getting?

Same thing happend to me, past mechanic de-pined and rearranged the harness connector wires to match the old o2 so when the new one when in the cel lit up. check the wiring of the harness to the 02 color for color, not pin position.

Thanks for the support guys, and big thanks to Ponyboy for his generosity. I agree with you guys that it MUST be a wiring issue. I am going to revisit the mechanic and walk through all of the wiring with him together because I just found another wiring mishap with a ground wire from the connector to the extension that was also mixed up, but I am still throwing the code. I also remember on the first visit, that my mechanic did try re-pinning at the rear connector, but then on the second visit, I don't know if he put the pins back properly. I was also thinking about this when I was rechecking my wiring in the garage.

I will let you guys know what I find. Its getting nerve racking driving around and taking side streets whenever I see law enforcement in my rear view. :(

Back