• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New alternator with CTSC?

I just picked up all my old parts after my CTSC install, and one thing that Mitch handed me was my alternator! Apparently the CTSC comes with its own?!! did you guys get a new alternator with yours? looking in my car it looks a bit... used! my old one is pristine. Anyway I just was wondering what to do with this thing... should I sell it? whats one worth?

IIRC the alternator is from a Honda Prelude, the reason for the swap has to do with the placement of the supercharger, the Prelude alternator pully is on the other side of the belts, and it spins backwards... in order to keep all parts OE Honda they used the Prelude piece.

I would retain your old parts, in case you feel compelled to remove the CTSC in the future, for whatever reason.

edit, from the FAQ:

FAQ said:
Since the installation requires the alternator to run backwards, the OEM alternator cannot be used. In order to stick with a Honda OEM part, Comptech uses the 1992 Honda Prelude alternator which is the only one Honda ever sold which runs the opposite direction. It is Honda part #31100-PT3-A52RM.

IIRC the alternator is from a Honda Prelude, the reason for the swap has to do with the placement of the supercharger, the Prelude alternator pully is on the other side of the belts, and it spins backwards... in order to keep all parts OE Honda they used the Prelude piece.

I would retain your old parts, in case you feel compelled to remove the CTSC in the future, for whatever reason.

OK... thanks for the advice. Its a small box of stuff I guess I will hang onto it.

I just picked up all my old parts after my CTSC install, and one thing that Mitch handed me was my alternator! Apparently the CTSC comes with its own?!! did you guys get a new alternator with yours? looking in my car it looks a bit... used! my old one is pristine. Anyway I just was wondering what to do with this thing... should I sell it? whats one worth?

It should be noted also that Honda only sells these on a remanufactured basis only. They do clean up the exteriors (though they may not look brand spanking new) and all the internals are brand new.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Your FI now, there is no going back; you are member of "the" Brotherhood. :eek: :cool: :biggrin:

Yeah, I could probably get $600 for all that stuff... intake manifold, alternator, manifold cover plates, etc. I will not go back to NA as long as I have the car. But would my car as a low milage 2005 be worth more stock if I sell it? Would I be better off yanking the CTSC and selling it on its own later than selling with the car? Or will prospective owners want it with the CTSC and I will have these parts forever? whats the best thing to do? I sold my factory exhaust and engine cover... so if I go back to stock I will have to buy those, but I figured those are around a lot.

Not planning on selling this car anytime soon. But I sat and added some numbers... I am into my NSX for close to what a new R8 costs. Good God what have I done... :biggrin:

Yeah, I could probably get $600 for all that stuff... intake manifold, alternator, manifold cover plates, etc. I will not go back to NA as long as I have the car. But would my car as a low milage 2005 be worth more stock if I sell it? Would I be better off yanking the CTSC and selling it on its own later than selling with the car? Or will prospective owners want it with the CTSC and I will have these parts forever? whats the best thing to do? I sold my factory exhaust and engine cover... so if I go back to stock I will have to buy those, but I figured those are around a lot.

Not planning on selling this car anytime soon. But I sat and added some numbers... I am into my NSX for close to what a new R8 costs. Good God what have I done... :biggrin:

I would keep all that stuff for when the GFCP hits you a little bit harder and you'll need it for a turbo setup and built motor.:p After all, it is your name ;).

If you ever have the desire to go stock, please feel free to pm so we can set up a trade:biggrin: Like the new avatar?

But I sat and added some numbers... I am into my NSX for close to what a new R8 costs. Good God what have I done... :biggrin:

You basically bought all new parts for stuff that didn't need to be replaced ( rear hatch struts for example and your surprised ) and everybody body knows buying parts for your car is more expensive than the car itself. Of course for what it's worth I'm pretty sure your car could kick the crap out of an R8 and look better doing it ( plus be more reliable ):biggrin:

Does anyone know what year and model Prelude alternator CT uses for their kit?

Does anyone know what year and model Prelude alternator CT uses for their kit?

Bottom of my post:

truth said:
Since the installation requires the alternator to run backwards, the OEM alternator cannot be used. In order to stick with a Honda OEM part, Comptech uses the 1992 Honda Prelude alternator which is the only one Honda ever sold which runs the opposite direction. It is Honda part #31100-PT3-A52RM.

Back