• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Canadian Owner!

Hi everyone,

This is the story of how I recently acquired my dream car.

As I am sure is true of many NSX enthusiasts, I had wanted (and lusted after) an NSX for many years. This summer I found myself in a position to actually acquire one of these rare beasts and posted on the "NSXs Wanted" forum. Being in Canada, the local (or even National) choices were extremely limited - especially considering my requirement for a 2002+ example.

Not long after I posted, prime member tpolonyi sent me a message saying that he was toying with the idea of parting with his 2002 NFR/Black NSX with a little less than 50K on the odometer. At the time, I wasn't sure about getting another red car (I also have a red Toyota MR2 Spyder) and I let him know that I would keep looking, but I would keep his in mind. Eventually I relented, and quit resisting what I really wanted all along (it's a sports car, it should be red!).

By mid-September, the specifics had been worked out, and my girlfriend and I flew down to Florida from Vancouver. The car was exactly as described, and a beauty. The seller was a super nice guy and everything went better than expected.

We decided to make a bit of a vacation out of the trip, rented a car, and drove down to Key West - cool place. I arranged for the car to be shipped back to Vancouver by TFX International.

During the waiting period for the car to arrive, I was gathering parts and pieces - mostly to ensure the car would pass inspection for the importation process. Thanks to cosmod250 for the child anchor, and to s4play for the LED day time running lights (a requirement for Canadian cars). Thanks also to jrnsx and Moisted for the information on TFX and importation.

It ended up taking TFX 6 weeks to deliver the car. I had planned a trip to Thailand for December, and it ended up arriving the day before I left! Thankfully I was able to get everything in order and have the car inspected and registered before I left the country. That was a stressful day.

Finally, the car is here! Thanks to everyone that helped make this happen, especially tpolonyi. Thanks also to this great community that I hope to contribute to in the future! As for now, the car waits in the garage for spring, and will see a few modifications in the future.

Pictures!

TFX's huge truck:
nsxtruck.jpg

Unloading:
IMG_3089.jpg

That's all for now!

Congrats on the purchase! enjoy!!

Congrats! If you don't mind me asking and you can PM me the info too, how much did it cost you to ship it to Vancouver? Did you any issues with ground clearance when loading it up to the truck? I'm also from Vancouver but currently living in TX with my NSX. Planning to move back soon. If you can share your info that would be great!

Congratulations on your purchase! But OMG, 6 weeks?!?! The wait must've been AGONIZING!

Congrats! Quite the story. That NSX traveled quite the distance. Looks like a beauty. How involved is the Canada importation process?

The importation process is daunting at first, but really not so bad as long as you get all of your ducks in a row. I imported my MR2 Spyder from the US as well. There are some really good write-ups out there from others who have gone through the process.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats! If you don't mind me asking and you can PM me the info too, how much did it cost you to ship it to Vancouver? Did you any issues with ground clearance when loading it up to the truck? I'm also from Vancouver but currently living in TX with my NSX. Planning to move back soon. If you can share your info that would be great!

I will PM you some info shortly. No issues with ground clearance. TFX are the guys that move Ferraris and other high-end cars around for dealerships and for car shows like Pebble Beach. They have a hydraulic platform, not a ramp.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 291
It ended up taking TFX 6 weeks to deliver the car.

OMG!! 6 WEEKS?? That's crazy!! :eek:
I also had my NSX shipped from Florida (to Blaine Washington) - but it only took 6 DAYS! I then simply drove the NSX across the line.
For Fugy / nsxsimon & anyone else looking to ship - I would wholeheartedly recommend MONTWAY Auto Transport. Enclosed trailers / super fast service / pricing was only 1/3 of the cost compared to some of the major carriers. They also had glowing online reviews (which I usually view with skepticism), but in this case they were 100%. They also provided me with every-other-day updates as to where the truck was - it was a great experience.

For those concerned about bringing a vehicle across the border, it really isn't hard. (if I can do it....) Just make sure you submit your paperwork to the US border within the correct timeframe. When my NSX arrived, I then simply went into the Vehicle Export Office with my copy of the paperwork & the original title - they stamped it / I drove my NSX across the border / paid the taxes @ the Canadian border (they actually filled out the form for me!), then I drove it home. There is a dyi on nsxprime about converting the corners to DRL's that I used the next day - I then got the car inspected & insured. EASY :)

Btw: LeftCoastNSX - there is a very active NSX club in Vancouver - when the weather gets better we usually meet every Thursday night @ Byrne Road in Burnaby. You should join our Facebook group to stay in touch https://www.facebook.com/groups/VanNSX/ (I'm 3rd from the right) Hope to see you!

Thanks everybody!

OMG!! 6 WEEKS?? That's crazy!! :eek:
Btw: LeftCoastNSX - there is a very active NSX club in Vancouver - when the weather gets better we usually meet every Thursday night @ Byrne Road in Burnaby. You should join our Facebook group to stay in touch https://www.facebook.com/groups/VanNSX/ (I'm 3rd from the right) Hope to see you!

I know, the 6 weeks were unbearable... especially considering how nice the weather was in Vancouver in October and early November. But, since I'd already waited about 15 years to get an NSX, I figured, what's another 6 weeks? ;)

I have been to a Thursday night meet once before. I had my Spyder there, and my girlfriend had her Pajero Evolution. I will definitely make it to meets when I can. Cheers!

Congrats and welcome to NSX ownership. NSXs in Canada continue to grow. Some of the best cars have been exported from the US only to end up in Canada.
Numbers are strong in BC and especially Vancouver area. ~40 in BC half in Vancouver and area.
Did you use a broker to import the car? or did you do that part yourself?

Did you use a broker to import the car? or did you do that part yourself?

Thanks for the warm welcome! I used a broker to import the car, but have imported different cars myself in the past. If I had the ability to do it all again, I would have imported it myself. The importation is possibly the easiest part - it's the inspections and insurance issues that are more annoying.

Congratulations! what a beauty, I also used TFX earlier this year and they were great! When they dropped off my car there was a 458 Speciale and Mclaren650S going to Vancouver as well.

Back