• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

new garrett turbo

can't remember which magazine (I think popular science) I read it in but Garrett has a new turbo that has zero lag! It uses an electric motor that keeps the turbo spooled up and ready for use. Some manufacturers are apparently looking at the unit for oem application. Turbo for them = more power from smaller engine = better fuel economy, etc, etc..
but for us performance nuts just a cure for the negative side of turbocharging. No more lag. I little ammunition for the turbo vs. supercharger war. Personally I like both of them having owned turbo and supercharged cars, but have to say that turbo feels better to me if I had to pick one.

From what I hear, these types of turbos are already in use on several models in the Japanese market, where insurance and other costs are based on engine displacement, and turbos are more popular on stock cars. Apparently, there is indeed no noticeable lag, since the turbo is always spooled up. I'll see if I can find any specific examples.

Back