• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Member Looking to Purchase

Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now. Incredible information and beautiful cars on this site.

A little bit about me before I go further:
I've always been an Honda fan. First car was a Honda CRX, then Accord, then 2000 Comptech modded Civic Si. I then moved away into Euro cars... S4, A4, A8 finally with a 2012 C63 Black Series. I now own a 2008 Audi RS4 and a 2013 McLaren 12C Spider (going through a build right now). I track occasionally and use the Rs4 for those purposes. The McLaren is track capable of course, but is insanely expensive to track on a consistent basis - it's more of a once in awhile track, every weekend car.

I'm looking to sell my RS4 and buy one of my first true loves - a Honda NSX. Been looking for a bit, was too late on someone's beautiful GPW NSX-R inspired build. I hope to make it a track focused car, but with enough practicality and aesthetics that it will be comfortable around town as a DD.

Anyways, I came across this particular ad in Autotrader and was wondering what the forum thought. I know prices are going up but this seems a little high. The dealer did not want to budge on price - but given its condition, and its low miles, I figured it might be worth it.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...mt=[ACURA[NSX[]][]]&listingId=371915042&Log=0

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance. I hope to get an NSX soon and contribute!

Are you from Utah? I have a lot of family there and will be flying to SLC for my sister's wedding in a couple weeks. The car you posted about has been for sale at that dealership for roughtly 2-3 months already and I don't suspect it will be selling anytime soon. I am happy to take a look at it for you while I am in town if you are not from around there. PM me if I can be of assistance.

Also, there is a forum titled "New Owners & Car History" where inquiries about specific vehicles like this generally show up. You may get a better response posting in there.

Gotta love it - dealer says "We are willing to sell this car for our asking price" . . . :rolleyes: As RSO 34 says, it is overpriced - they will have that on their showroom floor for quite a time until they lower the price. Not really sure, but probably needs to be in the mid 30's range? Good luck and keep hunting!

If all maintenance is up to date, these days it could go for 35k. His asking price should get you at least a '97.

Are you from Utah? I have a lot of family there and will be flying to SLC for my sister's wedding in a couple weeks. The car you posted about has been for sale at that dealership for roughtly 2-3 months already and I don't suspect it will be selling anytime soon. I am happy to take a look at it for you while I am in town if you are not from around there. PM me if I can be of assistance.

Also, there is a forum titled "New Owners & Car History" where inquiries about specific vehicles like this generally show up. You may get a better response posting in there.

Thanks for the reply - would highly appreciate it if you could take a look at it. They claim the owner loves the car so he will just keep it until somebody buys it. But, there are many more good examples out there to look at, but if its as clean and perfect as they claim - it may not be horrible to at least start negotiating.

Thanks and thanks to everyone!

Rich

NICE CAR FOR SURE... and the miles sure are right... IMHO priced too high... you should be able to get a nice targa with similar miles for that sort of dough

In my opinion.. when you are looking... don't be afraid to "pay" for wheels you like, a lowered stance and or a aftermarket exhaust.... you're going to want them.... and they'll never be cheaper than when already on the car... my .02

Thanks guys... I'll also monitor the for sale forum here - ideally would like a GPW one. And I wouldn't mind mods I like already on.

I looked at it, checked the carfax. Very nice looking.

I've been looking for several months, and just bought a 96-T with 58K at $48,400 net total. While the mileage is higher than I wanted, the pristine condition of the car made it acceptable. One owner, always garaged in heated/cooled space, original window sticker, and all receipts from day one including oil changes, and all appropriate upgrades done for the years. I would say the price on your car is a bit high, but not much. I came to the conclusion in my search that the correct price for an NSX can only be defined by the car itself, and care and condition that translates into value vary hugely. I intentionally avoided any car with non-reversible mods and any sign of abuse or lack of intensive care. A higher price car that's in super condition is generally a better buy than a cheap one that is not; you can easily spend twice what you saved on a cheap car repairing it, and still not have a pristine car. I would ask about the documentation of service and upgrades for this car, solid documentation can change value substantially. Having it it also allows you to continue the records process and preserve high value when you are ready to sell the car as well as providing support for the value if an insurance claim is ever necessary. I see you also get the original wheel set; I would also ask about the availability of original parts for any other items that have been "upgraded". Sometimes dealers have or can get these from the previous owner. You can negotiate that without dropping price, sweetening the deal for you and yet letting the seller feel successful. One dealer I had been negotiating with managed to be able to throw in an original spoiler, hood and side skirts on a modified car when I made the mods an issue- but wouldn't move his price.

Last edited:
Not a problem. I know the dealership well as they used to service my other Acuras when I was living in Utah. PM me your contact info so that I can let you know once I have taken a look at it.

Thanks for the reply - would highly appreciate it if you could take a look at it. They claim the owner loves the car so he will just keep it until somebody buys it. But, there are many more good examples out there to look at, but if its as clean and perfect as they claim - it may not be horrible to at least start negotiating.

Thanks and thanks to everyone!

Rich

I looked at it, checked the carfax. Very nice looking.

I've been looking for several months, and just bought a 96-T with 58K at $48,400 net total. While the mileage is higher than I wanted, the pristine condition of the car made it acceptable. One owner, always garaged in heated/cooled space, original window sticker, and all receipts from day one including oil changes, and all appropriate upgrades done for the years. I would say the price on your car is a bit high, but not much. I came to the conclusion in my search that the correct price for an NSX can only be defined by the car itself, and care and condition that translates into value vary hugely. I intentionally avoided any car with non-reversible mods and any sign of abuse or lack of intensive care. A higher price car that's in super condition is generally a better buy than a cheap one that is not; you can easily spend twice what you saved on a cheap car repairing it, and still not have a pristine car. I would ask about the documentation of service and upgrades for this car, solid documentation can change value substantially. Having it it also allows you to continue the records process and preserve high value when you are ready to sell the car as well as providing support for the value if an insurance claim is ever necessary. I see you also get the original wheel set; I would also ask about the availability of original parts for any other items that have been "upgraded". Sometimes dealers have or can get these from the previous owner. You can negotiate that without dropping price, sweetening the deal for you and yet letting the seller feel successful. One dealer I had been negotiating with managed to be able to throw in an original spoiler, hood and side skirts on a modified car when I made the mods an issue- but wouldn't move his price.

Thanks for the advice... likely I will keep the car if I get it. I think some of these cars will continue to go up in price given its relative rarity. I have other cars in my stable to drive, but this car remains my childhood dream.

Guys, since the OP wants it for a track focused car, he probably wants it to be a coupe not a targa. With that said, I agree with jaybird and RSO, it's a $35,000-$40,000 car depending on condition. The $40,000 would have to be immaculate, the 1 owner helps and you're aware you are paying the dealership's bills. But it does look like a nice NSX, and with a McLaren already in your garage, I think finding the right NSX is more important to you than saving a couple grand, so hold out for that GPW.

Guys, since the OP wants it for a track focused car, he probably wants it to be a coupe not a targa. With that said, I agree with jaybird and RSO, it's a $35,000-$40,000 car depending on condition. The $40,000 would have to be immaculate, the 1 owner helps and you're aware you are paying the dealership's bills. But it does look like a nice NSX, and with a McLaren already in your garage, I think finding the right NSX is more important to you than saving a couple grand, so hold out for that GPW.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It is actually a beautiful car - and in great condition. But if it doesn't pan out, it doesn't. I'll just keep looking!

I'm looking to sell my RS4 and buy one of my first true loves - a Honda NSX. Been looking for a bit, was too late on someone's beautiful GPW NSX-R inspired build. I hope to make it a track focused car, but with enough practicality and aesthetics that it will be comfortable around town as a DD.

based on your thinking here, I would suggest a coupe not a targa as you have a MP4 spider for that. Keep looking w/ patience, took me 4yr to find mine.

Last edited:
Back