• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

new NSX concept walk around with Jon Ikeda

Well this confirms his poor taste- he is in love with the nasty wheels everyone hates. No wonder Acura can't make a car anyone likes to look at, these guys think they are doing a good job!

Already knew that, the new concept wheels are just as hideous though the concept is slightly more developed overall.

Is he supposed to walk around the car and say "I think the car look stupid because of those off the shelf ugly wheels; please wait three more years and we might get it right?"

To many, our beloved NA1/2 NSX is a ugly car with no taste, no pedigree, no power, and no class; does that means we're stupid because of the opinions expressed by others?

His job is to give us a sales pitch on a product they're working on, explain the design direction. After all, he's the one with the job, not you, me, or anyone here that is criticizing it. If you don't like it? Buy something else. R8, GTR, F430, 911 etc are all out there at your disposal.

Stop being a hater. Many people on Prime find this car to be rather attractive.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YSxPGl6xaFI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
I appreciate that Jon Ikeda took the time to give this interview and a provide a closer glimpse into the NSX concept. Thanks Jon and TOV for the video

Yes, it is an attractive car and it looks like the design team might have listened to some folks, maybe even Primers,
screaming that the "Acura beak" as a design element really just sucks and that we really don't want to see it on the next release of the NSX.

Hey Jon, if you are reading this post... kudos to your team, the design is progressing nicely and I can only speak for myself but this concept is looking much better
Lets get some serious wheels on the next iteration of the NSX, lots of us are going to buy racing wheels anyways so lets start with some great ones mounted up for the production release

shameless and selfish plug: If Acura wants loyal owners to trumpet the brand and give honest feedback on the car...
invite us to a pre-release private "show and drive" in Ohio (proof of ownership of NSX v1 required)
I'm betting you wouldn't have a problem filling seats..

Cheers !

Stop being a hater? I didn't realize the only opinions that mattered were those of the supposed majority. I'll continue to be as vocal as I see fit so sorry if I don't just lay off it for you. Or should I ask you guys to lay off the support bc that's just as fair? I want this car to be as good as possible bc I want to own it. Yes there are other choices and plenty of them are great cars but I want them to get this car right, so instead of drooling over it and patting them on the back, criticism should be spoken about it. The part about him loving the wheels was genuine and not a "sell", and the general consensus is that they are hideous even if you like the car overall. I'm just pointing out that the men responsible for Acura design are out of touch and truly much of the reason for poor sales. The luxury car market is mostly emotional. When your whole lineup looks terrible and people dont like your design language, you need to take a good look in the mirror not ignore criticism and march on. A mid engine supercar will inherently look good bc of the proportions and thats exactly whats happening here. Its not a successful "design language", its the exotic general shape thats doing the appeal work here. Which they borrowed from the R8. I dont see people raving and getting excited about that mdx or ilx. Sorry if it makes your eyes bleed to read this but don't expect me to ease up just bc my opinion is not your opinion. You are welcome to ignore my posts put your blinders on and only read nice opinions too.

I want this car to be as good as possible bc I want to own it. Yes there are other choices and plenty of them are great cars but I want them to get this car right, so instead of drooling over it and patting them on the back, criticism should be spoken about it.

Sorry bud, you want this car to be as good as possible according to you. I'm completely happy with this car the way it is, so do a lot of Primers. However, you can criticize the car, but Ikeda is the man with the job and you are not even close to having that position.

Again, it's his job to do a sales pitch on the car, and he cannot criticize the product in any ways shape or form other than get feedbacks during the show, not to mention the 2012 concept was a sloppy rushed job and they probably used the wheels that was available to them under the expedited schedule. If you think the designer has a poor taste simply because of the way he praised the wheels, I can honestly say that the entire original NA1 NSX team back in the 1980's have even poorer taste with the wheels they put on the original car.

Obviously the internal decision did not like the 2012 NSX Concept wheels that's why they put a different set of wheels in the 2013 update. Judging by what I have seen, people criticize the new wheels too bUT none criticize the designer!

So if we should ignore your comments if the words don't suit our taste, perhaps you can simply ignore the car if you don't like it. :wink:

Why not just wait till the running prototype is presented to the press before you make sharp criticisms, after all, it is still a work in progress.

Last edited:
Sorry bud, you want this car to be as good as possible according to you. I'm completely happy with this car the way it is, so do a lot of Primers. However, you can criticize the car, but Ikeda is the man with the job and you are not even close to having that position.

Again, it's his job to do a sales pitch on the car, and he cannot criticize the product in any ways shape or form other than get feedbacks during the show, not to mention the 2012 concept was a sloppy rushed job and they probably used the wheels that was available to them under the expedited schedule. If you think the designer has a poor taste simply because of the way he praised the wheels, I can honestly say that the entire original NA1 NSX team back in the 1980's have even poorer taste with the wheels they put on the original car.

Obviously the internal decision did not like the 2012 NSX Concept wheels that's why they put a different set of wheels in the 2013 update. Judging by what I have seen, people criticize the new wheels too bUT none criticize the designer!

So if we should ignore your comments if the words don't suit our taste, perhaps you can simply ignore the car if you don't like it. :wink:

Why not just wait till the running prototype is presented to the press before you make sharp criticisms, after all, it is still a work in progress.

No offense meant but it's hard to see that you being content with the car "as-is" as objective- you are a die-hard Honda fanboy, which is fine but it affects objectivity. Pointing out that Ikeda is the man with the job is irrelevant, yes- they hired him to perform that function but that does not certify success at tasks. Not only does it not certify success, a good case can be made that Acura sales have seriously suffered due to poor design throughout their model lineup- which I pointed out. Nobody is drooling over their other designs because they are not low slung mid engine exotics. The platform is doing them a lot of favors here, he even alludeds to and mentions that in his walk-around.

Also I didn't say you should ignore my comments, I said that you are welcome to do so which means you can if you want. I don't want to ignore the car nor hold back criticism during development, so sorry to disappoint. What value is a critique after the job is done anyways?
:confused:

So you think that the difference from the 2012 to 2013 concept is enough that suddenly no one has criticized the designer? It looks better than the last concept, I agree. But it's almost exactly the same exterior concept, now plus an interior and a refined beak detail. I would just chalk that up to Honda tunnel vision again if you see significant development. :wink:

Anyways let's not bother with this back and forth between us, I will just agree that we can disagree. You love it, I see lots of room for improvement. To make an attempt at moving towards some constructive criticism, I did a photoshop of the front bumper without the fussy mustache (IMO). Honestly it made it look more like the R8 to me but let's not go there again- I do like it better without the mustache regardless. That mustache is not going to look good in 10 or 20 years, it's gimmicky as heck and I feel like they put it there specifically to make it less like the R8.

NSX Concept Comparison RSZ.jpg

Hi,

i love the car lines as they are.... hope that it comes out as it is.

About the wheels, Ikeda mentions that this is just an iteration that a designer
wanted to show, and there are still no tests by the engineers about their aerodynamics.

Seeing this video, the conclusion i take from what Ikeda tells us, is that the general from is this,
but the details are far from their final form, because tests are yet to be made on aerodynamics and
function, and after those test, some major changes may be needed to those details.

Examples of changes needed to be made to some details:
- wheels
- rear diffuser and exhaust tips may affect the final look of the entire bumper
- side vents may be larger and shaped differently after knowing intake/cooling needs
- center console, because more or less space is needed under it, or just because of ergonomics
- dash, gauge, controls, steering wheel

i look at both the 2012 and this one as they are, evolution steps to reach a final step, but keeping in
mind that engineers may force some major changes...

Nuno

Hey guys, long time lurker just registered to give my 2 cents. Since someone mentioned 'objectivity', I wanted to express how much I love the design of the new NSX concept from someone who has never owned an Acura before nor has any sort of brand loyalty. Simply put, it looks fantastic. And based on my limited sample size that is my Facebook friends list, many seem to share my opinion. People from all realms including girls who don't know anything about cars from die-hard gearheads. While I wasn't a big fan of the original concept's wheel design, I think the current concept's wheel design is quite good and I think it is a wheel that will look much better in the flesh than it does in pics. Usually when you incorporate angular designs and couple it with carbon fibre contrast, pictures just don't do it justice. I haven't seen the car in person yet though, so I'll leave it at that.

That being said, I believe the car needs more revision on the back end. To me, the front is almost perfect although Nero's photoshop looks fantastic as well. The rear though is more confusing. Its angled out at the center and seems to be confused whether its designed to be the front end of the car or the rear end. If they flattened it out more, I think it would look better. Also, the exhaust set up looks gimmicky and badly proportioned. Like someone else mentioned, a more traditional quad exhaust set up would look better. Perhaps even an rhombus or squarish shapes tips a la E63 AMG if they want to keep the angular design cues. Lastly, I wish they would remove the Carrera Targa 4S-like center brake light. To me, even covering it with my finger and looking at the picture looks much better. Maybe someone can photoshop my 'perfect' NSX by tinting the center brake like to body-colour and redesigning the exhaust tips. :)

Back