• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX: Get it right or don't bother

It's too late! Honda won't get it right if we go by Ito's last comments.

However, the ‘new NSX’ will be radically different from its predecessor, with Ito stating that the goal will be to build a car that has a dramatic power-to-weight-ratio as opposed to outright power.

By inferring the last NSX was high powered and that he's going for power to weight as opposed to outright power makes no sense.

did anyone catch that the guy has never actually driven an NSX?

as far as Ito's comments, yeah its a little ridiculous on the high hp thing... the NSX was built around some silly hp restriction they had in Japan and so their gameplan was to make a great handling car. its doesn't make sense, unless you consider the financial aspects...

with the UK getting pretty strict on emissions and the US going green thanks to idiots like Obama... the only answer is to go smaller and lighter. additionally, this tactic lets them use an existing engine to slap together a car and make some money, as opposed to losing money like with the NSX.

i don't believe it will be done right because the original NSX was built with money as no object. built to lose money. the modern equivalents of this mentality are the LF-A and Veyron... while the GT-R can achieve greatness and share parts, its just not an NSX. does this mean it wont be good? nope. i say bring it on.

Yeah I thought was funny , but he'd been in two of them. He loved the S2K so I'm sure the NSX wouldn't disappoint.

Barry O canceled the 2016 MPG requirements so that's no longer an issue. I forgot that the NSX was made with the old "gentlemens agreement" that cars not make over 280hp ,but Ito is calling the old NSX high powered and that doesn't bode well.

Of course in his mind it would be high powered since the most powerful vehicle Honda sells now is only 307hp. I know it's going to be hybrid but I was hoping for at least 400hp now I'm thinking we may only get about 250hp in a CRZ pkg.

Truth be told we'd been hearing about a "high powered CRZ" for awhile I was just hoping that that was fiction.

"Ito is pushing for Honda to push its sporting credentials again, so long as they compliment its environmental stance"<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

The fact that they are attempting to replace their flagship sports car with an econobox sports car concerns me. It's not like they will be building 20million of them like they have the civic. MPG should not be a concern when designing a car to compete with the modern day supercars like its predecessor did so well. The car should be designed/built/improved upon what made the NSX what it is. If the car does not have the following items, it should not be coined the NSX 'replacement':

<O:p</O:p-Mid-ship madness<O:p</O:p
-2 seate<O:p</O:p
-RWD<O:p</O:p
-Light<O:p</O:p
-Exceptional handling<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

The one and only thing the NSX was lacking, (and really only in the later production years when it started to fall behind) is power. As much as I would love to see a strung out NA V8 in the car, slap in a high strung 3.5L with a couple snails on it. Done.

1. Ito pushing anything sporty beyond the CRZ is a lie! Ito has been a new NSX's biggest enemy since he came in. Might be why the bean counters and share holders love him. He's just become embarrassed is all. The people pushing for the NSX are Honda insiders ( engineers and the like ) who won't let it die. Ito has NOTHING to do with it.

2.Unless you can turbocharge a hybrid you might as well forget about it.

^ He's all set then:biggrin:

What I'm really waiting for is to find out what the target is. So far all that Ito has said is that they won't be trying to match Ferrari for HP at the expense of fuel efficiency ( i.e fuel economy ) , but does this mean that Ferrari is still the target??

The problem is that Honda is lost. What was the target for the CRZ? It accomplishes nothing and has to be modified to make it any good. How about the Insight? The new Civic? The Accord? Wait, the ZDx?

Get my point?

Well the CRZ was Honda trying to start a hybrid niche , but essentially it's just a rerun of the original Insight. The four door Insight was/is a cheap Prius fighter. True people say it doesn't get as good as the Prius , but it wasn't designed to be. It was/is $3-4k cheaper and Honda thought people would look at that vs ultimate fuel economy.

The new Civic was Honda thinking they could save a buck and just put out a cheaper version of the current Civic. It may turn out to be a fail sales wise as the competition is super tough. If they hadn't been looking inside their own ass when they made it they would have seen that.

ZDX was/is an X6 competitor that has failed miserably! What's so bad is people don't even realize it's the Acura flagship:rolleyes: Not a bad vehicle just a miss. Hopefully resale values on it continue to plummet as I wouldn't mind having one. It has better fuel economy and performance than the current RL which is also a dude.

New Accord comes out next year and after the Civic has panned as badly as it has with critics Honda can't have another misstep.

Back