• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Nsx Shelved .....

:eek: Hot off the presses (EVO car mag I just picked up)--I quote:

"Honda has canned plans for a replacement for the NSX after a dramatic change of heart, according to sources in Japan. It has been an open secret that Honda was working on a successor to the 15-year-old NSX- the recent HSC show car (picture above) being a public display of a work in progress. Early indications are that Honda now wants to build a large GT coupe instead of a new NSX. Such a car would compete directly with Mercedes' highly successful SL and Bentley's Continental GT.
The move has come as a shock because Honda president Takeo Fukui had told the press that the NSX programme was on-going, even setting a date of 2005 for the car to be introduced (although Honda insiders privately admitted to it being nearer 2006 or 2007). Various factors are said to have scuppered the project, according to information received by EVO. Firstly, Honda had trouble getting the design of the HSC-based NSX to gel. It had tried a number of styling derivations but in the end the designers couldn't finesse the right end result. Secondly"....etc.etc (I can't keep typing--fingers tired!)

So, what might this mean, folks? If no new NSX, are we sitting on (or driving) a true collectible? If Honda does decide to make a GT, will it be priced near the current NSX?

I just got back from vacation and expected to see the boards lit up with this story, but did not see any reference to the EVO story...comments?

That is a similar report to what was in automobile. However, honda officials have never comfirmed anything. Who knows. Just last week on Car and Driver TV they said the all new NSX was coming soon. :confused:

I don't think anyone has a freaking clue.

It doesn't seem like there is anything at Honda have the "class" nor "power" to compete with the Mercedes and Bentley, nor I will call those big hp GT cars a sucess. A lot of these cars relies on tons of electrical devices and gadgets, which, Honda's bag is pretty empty when it comes to that.
With more and more competition showed up in the market, (Aston martin, Jaguar, Ferrari, Massarati) Honda should not have any interest jumping into the middle of it. WE all LOVE the nsx here, but for business pov, Honda took a big lesson from it.

I figured Honda would re-introduce the NSX when they won the Formula 1 championship. Let's wait and see how next year goes.

I actually wanted Honda to discontinue the current NSX as it is just plain ricer ugly and a black eye to the classic styling in my humble opinion. I'm not confident that the conservative Honda company will introduce a GT sportscar that can compete with the big boys. They're better off staying at home with their plain product line.

W said:
I actually wanted Honda to discontinue the current NSX as it is just plain ricer ugly and a black eye to the classic styling in my humble opinion. .

Umm...why are you here?

NetViper said:
Umm...why are you here?
Dave,
I think the guy got a point though albeit blunt. The 2002+ NSXs are "Ricer ugly" in a way. I have always been a Porsche guy because of their smiling faces. In fact, most pleasant looking older classy cars all have nice, cute, smiling faces. The 996 is also critisized as "ricer ugly" with the ugly headlights so the new 997 has gone back to the classic round lights. The new generation Japanese sport cars somehow adopted the menacing/mean looking faces with slanted headlights and big air intakes resembling the stereotypical but derrogatory slanted eyed, buck-teeth Asian look(ricer ugly.) The classic ones are the new Z, Celica, and 2002+ NSX. The 1991-2001 NSX are simply much more classy and pleasant to the eyes. I simply cannot stand the big fish mouth bumper of the newer NSX, an ugly imitation of the Modena.
I truly think Honda should discontinue the NSX instead of letting it age on stage. The Testarossa was once everyone's dream car and THE supercar of the 1980's. Imagine if Ferrari were still selling it unchanged at $350k and hailing it as their top of the line model? People will laugh their butts off. Even Ferrari is sensible enough not to drag on the Testarossa. Honda really should not have done that to the NSX. Look at Mike Tyson and you will understand. NSX was sitting on top of the world for a few years and we all remember that. Honda should have let it retire gracefully.
Steve

Last edited:
whiteNSXs said:
Even Ferrari is sensible enough not to drag on the Testarossa. Honda really should not have done that to the NSX. Look at Mike Tyson and you will understand. NSX was sitting on top of the world for a few years and we all remember that. Honda should have let it retire gracefully.
Steve

Ok, I see where you guys are coming from.

I think the problem with the 2002 NSX is the lack of a power upgrade. Just changing the looks slightly isn't enough to bring a lot of new customers in. The car was borderline underpowered in 1997 with the 290HP upgarde. In 2005 it is so far underpowered, it is a joke.

IMO, if they had gone with a 3.5L V6 with 350HP NA in 2002 sales would have dramatically increased. I guess we will never know. I think the current car would be great with that motor. We would be talking about (guess here) 0-60 in 4.3 and 1/4 in 12.8 @ 112 ish? That would be great! I also think the car would have been all over the magazines again and create a lot of new interest in the NSX. Instead the 2002 got the least amount of press coverage I have EVER seen for a car. It was sad really.

So basically I agree. If they are not going to address the power issue, put the poor car out of its missery.

whiteNSXs said:
Dave,
I think the guy got a point though albeit blunt. The 2002+ NSXs are "Ricer ugly" in a way. I have always been a Porsche guy because of their smiling faces. In fact, most pleasant looking older classy cars all have nice, cute, smiling faces. The 996 is also critisized as "ricer ugly" with the ugly headlights so the new 997 has gone back to the classic round lights. The new generation Japanese sport cars somehow adopted the menacing/mean looking faces with slanted headlights and big air intakes resembling the stereotypical but derrogatory slanted eyed, buck-teeth Asian look(ricer ugly.) The classic ones are the new Z, Celica, and 2002+ NSX. The 1991-2001 NSX are simply

Wow... talk about an overly extreme and overstated opinion! Looks are subjective, but what a nasty way to put it. It seems about as many people in the real world like the 02+ NSX as liked the 01 NSX since sales have stayed flat and lackluster.

As for Porsche guys. Most of the anti-996 crowd is so pompous of full of $hit that its ridiculous. Just admit that the reason you dont like the 996 front end is because it is shared with the downmarket Boxster!

"its water cooled so it sucks!" "it has ugly lights so it sucks!" "it has gadgets so it sucks!"

Witness the 997... Still water cooled, lights that look EXACTLY like a new BEETLE (guess a BEETLE is better than a BOXSTER to some warped minds) and it has MORE GADGETS THAN EVER! Yet, the 993 fanatics LOVE the 997. Its what the 996 "should have been". Well... It's still water cooled... its still faster than the 993 (just like the 996 was) and it has more gadgets than ever. So I guess all of these "purists" are really saying that this huge dealbreaker was Boxster headlights.

Sorry... But NONE of these cars are so different from the pre-facelift versions to warrant such extreme and exaggerated opinions.

spookyp said:
Wow... talk about an overly extreme and overstated opinion! Looks are subjective, but what a nasty way to put it. It seems about as many people in the real world like the 02+ NSX as liked the 01 NSX since sales have stayed flat and lackluster.

As for Porsche guys. Most of the anti-996 crowd is so pompous of full of $hit that its ridiculous. Just admit that the reason you dont like the 996 front end is because it is shared with the downmarket Boxster!

"its water cooled so it sucks!" "it has ugly lights so it sucks!" "it has gadgets so it sucks!"

Witness the 997... Still water cooled, lights that look EXACTLY like a new BEETLE (guess a BEETLE is better than a BOXSTER to some warped minds) and it has MORE GADGETS THAN EVER! Yet, the 993 fanatics LOVE the 997. Its what the 996 "should have been". Well... It's still water cooled... its still faster than the 993 (just like the 996 was) and it has more gadgets than ever. So I guess all of these "purists" are really saying that this huge dealbreaker was Boxster headlights.

Sorry... But NONE of these cars are so different from the pre-facelift versions to warrant such extreme and exaggerated opinions.
All I said was the 996 was critisized for having ugly headlights. I didn't denounce it the way you put it. I like the 996 and went to Porsche factory in Stuggart in fall of 1999 to look at the production. I just don't understand why you reacted so emotionally. Regarding the 2002+ NSX having the ugly face, it is how I feel.

Attachments

• NSXR2002.jpg
    NSXR2002.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 319
  • NSX1991.jpg
    NSX1991.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 324
Back