• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Owner! 1991 Red/Black

I just watched your video.

If you like an open air motoring experience, take a spin in an NSX-T some time. The feel and the sound were key to my choosing my '95 (in addition to the larger tires, shorter second gear that makes it feel quicker in normal driving, and higher exit speeds out of corners vs the '91-'93's). The downside is that I believe the earlier models will appreciate faster.

I just watched your video.

If you like an open air motoring experience, take a spin in an NSX-T some time. The feel and the sound were key to my choosing my '95 (in addition to the larger tires, shorter second gear that makes it feel quicker in normal driving, and higher exit speeds out of corners vs the '91-'93's). The downside is that I believe the earlier models will appreciate faster.

I've considered going for the NSX-T for the open air experience and shorter 2nd gear, but it came down to two things. One, it's way more expensive than a 91. Two, I've heard the chassis flex and extra weight make it a less pure driver's car.

If money was no object, I'd have my 91 turned into a lightweight track beast and a 97 targa for weekend cruising (power steering!) and canyon carving. Some day...

Wish we could have it both ways. I think you made a good decision. The '95 felt a lot faster to me, particularly in corners. However, while '95 costs more now, I think the '91 will pass it. So your asset will appreciate more quickly.

Wish we could have it both ways. I think you made a good decision. The '95 felt a lot faster to me, particularly in corners. However, while '95 costs more now, I think the '91 will pass it. So your asset will appreciate more quickly.

Why do you think so? Because the purists will favor the lighter coupe with manual steering?

I'm very curious on the NSX market's future, and how much each generation will be worth in 10-15 years.

I think the early cars are and will be considered more "pure", with great-feeling manual steering (which necessitated smaller tires) and a fixed roof (which is stiffer).

Don't get me wrong...we sought out a '95 because we love open top driving (we also have a '94 BMW 3 series convertible and a '66 Lincoln Continental convertible) and I really appreciated the upgrades. It has the best EPS I have felt (including that in my BMW 5 series); it allows tremendous feedback. But in the end, the purity of the '91-'93 experience is the key calling card of the NSX.

I think the early cars are and will be considered more "pure", with great-feeling manual steering (which necessitated smaller tires) and a fixed roof (which is stiffer).

Don't get me wrong...we sought out a '95 because we love open top driving (we also have a '94 BMW 3 series convertible and a '66 Lincoln Continental convertible) and I really appreciated the upgrades. It has the best EPS I have felt (including that in my BMW 5 series); it allows tremendous feedback. But in the end, the purity of the '91-'93 experience is the key calling card of the NSX.

Yeah, I do enjoy the purity of my car although I haven't driven a '95+. But I'm undecided on whether I really like the manual steering or not. It does have a ton of feel but the weight doesn't give me as much confidence that I'll be able to catch the back end if it steps out. I'm wary of pushing the car too hard in the corners. Also the ratio is so slow compared to my previous S2000. S2000 had near perfect steering in my opinion. My only complaint was the vague on-center feel.

I've been encountering that a lot driving my S2000 back to back with my NSX. The steering feels hilariously slow. Granted, I haven't pushed the car hard enough the really see what the limits are, I'm hesitant to do so.

I've been encountering that a lot driving my S2000 back to back with my NSX. The steering feels hilariously slow. Granted, I haven't pushed the car hard enough the really see what the limits are, I'm hesitant to do so.

Yeah, the NSX doesn't feel as approachable as the S2000 to drive quickly. You have to almost mentally prepare yourself for the heavy steering input required if you get the rear end to step out. I haven't pushed the car to this point yet and don't plan to on the street. Track day in October will be interesting.

I've been encountering that a lot driving my S2000 back to back with my NSX.

Hah! Me too! The two main issues for me when switching back and forth are the steering and the clutch. On the steering I don't have much of an issue going from the S2K to the NSX, but the other way around can be hilarious and sometimes scary at the same time. Can't tell you how many times in the S2K I've grabbed a big ol' handful of steering wheel and hauled left or right (as if it was manual) and found myself cutting the turn way short. The clutch engagement on the S2K is close to the floor and very narrow so I'll almost stall it a couple of times 'til I mentally make the switch back to the S2K. But going from the S2K to the NSX is the most annoying b/c with the higher/longer clutch engagement on the NSX, it takes me a while to get back to doing really quick shifts. Still, it's kind of an embarrassment of riches being able to enjoy two such fine sports cars whenever I want :biggrin:.

Back