• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New owner. starting issue

Ipj

Hi there, I've had the car since May and am still eagerly learning. I've just experienced my first starting issue and have searched the forums but perhaps did not use the right terms. Anyway, here is what happened:
The car has not run for 3.5 days. Overnight temperatures 32 daytime 50 degrees F.
Open car with regular key, not the remote. The footwell light comes on. insert key and turn to start. dash lights up, there is click noise and lights go off and car does not start.
open hood and fiddle with battery thinking it has died, but no tools on hand to pull it and put on charger.
go back inside car, interior lights come on. insert key and car starts normally. leave it running for 5 minutes.
charge indicator on dash reads ~13 v

turn off car. try to start it again and all dead.

get voltmeter and battery registers 12.7 volts, still connected to battery cables.
try to start it and dash lights up, there is click noise and lights go off and car does not start.

I will go back to it tomorrow and see what it is doing.
Is there a fuse i need to check? Something with the security? I'm not familiar with all the bits and bobs on this car yet so might need extra explanation.

thanks
ian

I had a similar issue. Resolved it by replacing the negative battery cable.

You might want to shim the clamps on your battery cables to see if this is the issue.

HTH,

Matt

Yes it sounds like the ignition switch. Search for information on how to clean it, the info is here somewhere.

Mike

thanks everyone, I went with the easiest first and cleaned the connections and terminals of the battery and it started right up. I noticed that the battery itself did not fill the compartment that held it and that the piece of metal that keeps the battery itself from moving was held down in a haphazard fashion. There were small nuts screwed to the metal rods, however under these nuts were 3 larger nuts that serve the function of spacers. I'm guessing the battery that is installed is not correct.
2012-11-28 12.12.29 crop.jpg

If you wind up removing the batt. for any reason, by all means check/clean the ground cable bolted to the body {behind batt.}. These corrode after years of being low to the ground and picking up moisture on those rainy days. Mine sure did. It's a quick easy check/fix that many are'nt aware can happen.

Back