• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Rolex Daytona Stainless Steel Black Face

OK, a friend of mine is having one delivered, all Stainless Steel with Black Dial. Him and I are debating on which one of us will get to keep it. My wife is bitching and wont let me buy it. My buddy has bigger fish to fry (big investments he is involved in). So I thought I would help him sell this watch. If anyone is interested or has been trying to get one PM me. Obviously the price will be at a premium to MSRP. Bought from an Authorized Rolex retailer.

Jack

I know nothing about watches but I know a lot about $10,000. It looks like a very nice watch - but very plain to my ignorant eye (not gold, no diamonds, etc).

What makes this so special, expensive, and hard to get?

note - asking honestly - not meant as a flame or to put down people who own nice stuff...

i paid 6075 from dealer at christmas. i ordered it about 1 year before that. it is like buying a harley-some dealers charge extra because there are people willing to pay it. i am willing to pay msrp and that is it. of course, any jewelry i buy will be from Gause and Son in Ocala, FL. Jerry and Tedi are great!

The reason the watch brings a premium is basic econ 101. High demand and low supply.

rs250 said:

The reason the watch brings a premium is basic econ 101. High demand and low supply.

That would be it.
There used to be, may still be, a long waiting list for the watch.
The movement is nice but can be found in other watches, for much less $$$$'s. The stainless seem to be harder to find then the Two tone stainless and Gold.
Then if you want the rare bird, go here or solid gold.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31387&item=4916015641&rd=1

I would buy it, then I would sell it. Providing I could get it at 10% above cost.;)

Last edited:
Arata said:
Calling it collecting would be pushing it, I have a couple of Breguets that I wear.

I have some friends who have had colections in the past, it can be a very expensive hobby.

Nice watches. know collecting can get ridiculous, I have stopped. Wittled down to my favorites.
Had a vintage Brequet, stolen.
Had the Rolex Daytona posted about, sold it, his demand was greater than mine. I bought it to sell anyway.

The Rolex Daytonas are a nice piece, The only one I would buy.
The stainless that he is offering for sale will go quick, if advertsed in the right forums.
Good luck.

rs250 said:
i paid 6075 from dealer at christmas. i ordered it about 1 year before that. it is like buying a harley-some dealers charge extra because there are people willing to pay it. i am willing to pay msrp and that is it. of course, any jewelry i buy will be from Gause and Son in Ocala, FL. Jerry and Tedi are great!

MSRP is now higher than that...plus you pay tax. My buddy paid $7100 for the watch from an authorized dealer. And yes you are right, basic supply and demand. People stay on waiting lists for years and no guarantee of getting one.

Thanks for your input.

Supply and demand is only one of the reasons. Rolex's ingenius marketing is another, but most importantly, it's because of the unusually high demand for this watch from the Japanese people.

The Black face stainless steel is in demand in Japan.
The White face stainless steel is more popular over here, the tutone or gold is not a big seller.
Eveybody liked these watches because they were low profile, and most people didn't know what it was at first glance.
One of the resons it was in such demand is the parts supplier for Rolex was having problems keeping up with the demand. They never expected it to do so well, then when it did Rolex put a spin on the hole thing.
Rolex ended up getting rid of the supplier, and making all the parts in house.
We use to buy them in Canada, then sell them in the US, and make a nice profit.

If you want a cool Rolex, look up the old school Paul Newman Daytona.

prova4re said:
The Black face stainless steel is in demand in Japan.
The White face stainless steel is more popular over here, the tutone or gold is not a big seller.
Eveybody liked these watches because they were low profile, and most people didn't know what it was at first glance.
One of the resons it was in such demand is the parts supplier for Rolex was having problems keeping up with the demand. They never expected it to do so well, then when it did Rolex put a spin on the hole thing.
Rolex ended up getting rid of the supplier, and making all the parts in house.
We use to buy them in Canada, then sell them in the US, and make a nice profit.

If you want a cool Rolex, look up the old school Paul Newman Daytona.

you are right...paul newman popularized this watch in the 70's.

Movement on this watch used to be made (outsourced) by Zenith. Rolex has recently (within the past 2 years) moved production of the movement in house.

This IS a VERY hard watch to get, especially from Authorized dealers. You wouldnt want to take the risk in buying from non-authorized.

Jack

Lifetime Wristwatch

Do you buy your watch as a trend? The black faced Rolex submarniner I wear was my Dad's. What's it's worth, PRICELESS!!:D :D

Funny thing is the Rolex submarniner is now trendy, allot of people are picking them up to wear everyday.

gheba_nsx said:
I had a black submariner years ago, I sold it with 0% loss after two years of usage because I got sick of people asking me if it was authentic.

:(
I get that too... kinda makes you mad! The other thing that gets me is I didnt see many people wearing them, untill I bought one... then it seemed they were more popular than a Timex!

But most of the one you see are actually copies:

the lens does not magnofy (2x-3x), there are the two small holes were the bracelet meets the case (real one do not have them), ... and many other details that if you own the real stuff you notice very quickly.

I would like a IWC but they are out of my range... :(

Back