• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

new RPS billet twin clutch - light pedal & big power potential finally delivered

update: 2/4/10: ScienceofSpeed is now producing this clutch with the carbon-carbon technology licensed from RPS:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...oducts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/billet_twin_carbon/

twin_carbon_assembled_800.jpg

We're excited to announce a clutch several years in the making. NSX owners finally have access to a heavy duty clutch with a capacity of 700 lb/ft wheel torque that has a relatively light pedal effort.

Although high capacity clutches have been available in the past, including the single discs offered from RPS, the NSX hydraulic design leads to very few options available for the pressure plate. Options in the past have offered stiff pedal effort making the daily driving aspect of the clutch to be subpar.

By designing a new pressure plate, and using a twin carbon disc design, RPS has been able to develop a clutch that has more capacity than any turbocharged NSX we have seen, but still offers smooth engagement and a relatively light pedal effort. The clutch offers several advanced features.

1. carbon-on-carbon engagement: Unlike other clutches, the carbon discs engage on carbon friction surfaces instead of steel. This results in less warpage and greater life of the clutch not to mention smoother engagement.

2. strapless design: the pressure plate is strapless resulting in a more rugged and durable design.

3. pinned plate & balanced: the locking design of the RPS clutch results in a balanced assembly that is checked and adjusted by the factory - a race quality design.

4. organic liner on flywheel side: by using a organic surface on the flywheel side, this promotes smooth engagement for street driving.

5. By using an billet aluminum pressure plate with the floater plate guides built in, the clutch was able to be made lightweight and quieter than other floating multi plate clutches that produce a load tinny bitched rattle when the clutch is depressed.

The clutch will sell for $2395.00. It is available for BOTH 5-spd and 6-spd NSX. The discs have been designed to be compatible with the factory single spline input shaft used by the factory in 6-spd cars.

Further details and photos of the installation will follow soon.

update 8/24 - review here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126530

Cheers,
-- Chris

Last edited:
Re: new RPS billet twin clutch - light pedal & big power potential finally delivered

Wow keep us updated on the fitment for 2002+ NSX's....

I've been looking for something comparable to the Comptech PG2 type clutch that was on my s2000. Crisp but relatively light pedal feel, but definitely not the mushy stock feel.

I drove a NSX CTSC with the RPS clutch and damn that thing was HEAVY to push and hold down. Fine for weekend driving but definitely not something I want to be stuck with in the hills of San Francisco!

rick

Re: new RPS billet twin clutch - light pedal & big power potential finally delivered

Wow keep us updated on the fitment for 2002+ NSX's....

This clutch is compatible with all NSX years with out modifications. RPS has designed the splines of the discs used in this clutch to engage the single spline shaft found in the later 6-spd NSX.

This photo shows the clutch discs when engaged on a single spline input shaft:
singlespline.jpg

The clutch includes flywheel bolts compatible for all years, so no "extra" flywheel bolts are required for installation. Everything required for installation is included.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Chris:

1) can you tell me about the weight of this versus stock? especially the flywheel?

2) When you say light effort, is it as light as stock?

I really hate heavy clutches. I was going to run another stock one but perhaps this is better.

1. The weights are noted online:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...oducts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/billet_twin_carbon/

The assembly (and you have to go by the assembly as it is what rotates with the flywheel) is 26.5 lbs compared to 43.9 (factory single) and 35.7 lbs (factory twin). This will give you quick engine response making rev matched and toe heel downshifts much quicker - and the car in general a real joy to drive.

2. The pedal effort is comparable to stock. This is the clutch that everyone's been asking for the past 4 years!

Here's a great comparison of the clutches we offer with our recommendations:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/sos_resource/FAQs/NSX/dpp/clutch_set_comparison/

I was going to run another stock one but perhaps this is better.
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...nce_products/NSX/Honda/factory_single_clutch/
As you can see, the factory single disc assembly is a chunk of change. At $2735.00, this one is considerably lighter.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Last edited:

Cody will have my Lovefab stage 3 kit with water/meth completed later this week. He intalled the RPS twin clutch as part of the package. I will be able to give you product review soon. :biggrin:

Rats! Why couldn't my clutch go out three months later?!! :mad:

Cody will have my Lovefab stage 3 kit with water/meth completed later this week. He intalled the RPS twin clutch as part of the package. I will be able to give you product review soon. :biggrin:

Look forward to your review, thank you!

-- Chris

Back