• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

new ScienceofSpeed Laminova Supercharger System

I am wondering about the percent of performance to percent engine safety to percent cost on intercooling a Whipple since the Whipple is a different animal than the Autorotor tested here and produces so much more heat.
I know that any cooler charge is going to be better for the engine.
I know more performance will be gained from a properly re tuned set up.
I'm wondering if its all cost effective for the Whipple guy, especially if he is not running a AEM standalone or AEM FIC already and bigger injectors and perhaps an upgrade on the fuel pump.
Just wondering.....
Trev
This unit is space aged, I just might buy one to put under glass in my office.

I am wondering about the percent of performance to percent engine safety to percent cost on intercooling a Whipple since the Whipple is a different animal than the Autorotor tested here and produces so much more heat.
I'm wondering if its all cost effective for the Whipple guy, especially if he is not running a AEM standalone or AEM FIC already and bigger injectors and perhaps an upgrade on the fuel pump.
Just wondering.....
Trev
Those were my thoughts exactly. Trev. I have my 550's already but no AEM. So, after that cost and the aftercooler and the tuning side of it. Where will we be. Say plus 15hp for just the AEM($) and another say 37HP for the aftercooler($) (for me that is). Tuning($) That damn pipe!!
I also wonder with the pressure lost through the unit for a low boost whipple unit like mine. What would we have? 4psi? I am still on board for one, just questions to ask after other SC lessons learned over the many years with one.
Charles

550's...you need at least 8-10 psi to get those things running....lol.
Boost that sucker.....
Trev
p.s. I got to get my 440's and FIC in, just draggin my A$$ and enjoy driving instead of wrenching.

Just wondering.....
Trev

hi Trev --

The Whipple produces the same, if not more heat than the Autorotor or compressor we use. As horsepower is increased 1% for over 1 deg F drop, with a close to 100 deg F drop with the intercooler, I would expect 10% power gains for the Whipple. On our dyno, we have produced about 350-360 with high boost Whipple setups. This should come around to 385-395 hp with the Whipple.

Regarding your fuel management question, this system puts the power above what the stock Comptech system is capable of supplying. Hence, this requires a proper engine management system (like AEM EMS or FIC) and fuel system (injectors, pump, and 1:1 regulator).

regards,
-- Chris

Last edited:
Yes!
And a clutch that handles the sudden on/off thrust of a supercharge setup which is different that a smooth on turbo set up. Oh, ya, and good denture cream for the older crowd!
Trev

550's...you need at least 8-10 psi to get those things running....lol.
Boost that sucker.....
Trev
p.s. I got to get my 440's and FIC in, just draggin my A$$ and enjoy driving instead of wrenching.

Well that was what I was running with the Old SC system

There were some questions about aftermarket engine covers fitting. The engine covers are only a half an inch or so away from the supercharger with no intercooler installed. The intercooler raises the supercharger 1.3", so aftermarket engine covers or factory coupe covers will not clear with out modification.

regards,
-- Chris

Chris not that I need to be asking this question but... what do you think the power difference will be between a standard CTSC like mine with this cooler and a FIC. versus the larger disaplacement SOS SC you are using is your dyno testing? Provided we setup max boost at the same level.

Last edited:
Chris not that I need to be asking this question but... what do you think the power difference will be between a standard CTSC like mine with this cooler and a FIC. versus the larger disaplacement SOS SC you are using is your dyno testing? Provided we setup max boost at the same level.

An CTSC w/ Autorotor (which I assume is the system you have) on a 3.2L engine with 9 psi non intercooled makes around 360 hp on our dyno. With intercooler, I'd guess around 396 hp.

Our system non intercooled on a 3.2L with 9 psi made 375 hp on our dyno, 416 intercooled.

Hope that helps.

-- Chris

hi guys --

We have the details required to produce the Whipple based intercooler. To do so, we need at least 5 interested customers. To place an order, we are taking a $500.00 deposit.

If you are interested, please call us to place an order.

thank you,
-- Chris

An CTSC w/ Autorotor (which I assume is the system you have) on a 3.2L engine with 9 psi non intercooled makes around 360 hp on our dyno. With intercooler, I'd guess around 396 hp.

Our system non intercooled on a 3.2L with 9 psi made 375 hp on our dyno, 416 intercooled.

Hope that helps.

-- Chris

Well there are no other differences than the fact that it is a 1.7L on the CTSC versus 2.1L on yours, right? Isn't the benefit of the larger unit the fact that it creates less heat? If it creates less heat, shouldn't adding the intercooler help the smaller autorotor MORE than your 2.1? I would expect the power gap post a laminova intercooler to decrease, not increase. You said "guess" so I take it that setup has never been dyno'ed. Shouldn't the intercooler setup be even more beneficial to the CTSC than to your own system and even more to the whipple than to the autorotor?

Well there are no other differences than the fact that it is a 1.7L on the CTSC versus 2.1L on yours, right? Isn't the benefit of the larger unit the fact that it creates less heat? If it creates less heat, shouldn't adding the intercooler help the smaller autorotor MORE than your 2.1? I would expect the power gap post a laminova intercooler to decrease, not increase. You said "guess" so I take it that setup has never been dyno'ed. Shouldn't the intercooler setup be even more beneficial to the CTSC than to your own system and even more to the whipple than to the autorotor?

There are other significant differences between the system other than the larger compressor - namely the engine management and fuel system.

The difference in discharge temperatures are mostly apparent above 9 psi where the smaller chargers have to be run at much faster speeds to keep up with the larger compressors. I can't say whether one or the other would have a larger percentage air mass / power gain.

regards,
-- Chris

There are other significant differences between the system other than the larger compressor - namely the engine management and fuel system.
-- Chris

Well you aren't going to install this intercooler on anything without an EMS or FIC, injectors and pump. So that part would be the same.

Anyway, I am not trying to hijack your thread. Just one last question. There is a heat exchanger for the unit, I am assuming that goes up front... will this affect my DF duct that goes engine fan to R hood?

Last edited:
No worries, lots of questions are good.

We include a reservoir tank and pump that are installed in the front compartment. It would be possible to locate the pump out of the way, and I think the reservoir may clear the duct. It would be possible to use a different reservoir if that's an issue.

regards,
-- Chris

Here's a photo of the supercharger system installed with the intercooler in place. As you can see, the height at the air box is not changed much so that the intake boot is not stretched. It still can plug into the hole in the engine bay to connectin air induction scoops.

Cheers,
-- Chris

enginebayinstalled_800.jpg

Here's a photo of the supercharger system installed with the intercooler in place. As you can see, the height at the air box is not changed much so that the intake boot is not stretched. It still can plug into the hole in the engine bay to connectin air induction scoops.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Thanks Chris. that helps alot for my setup.

Do you have pics of the heat exchanger in the front of the car? I assume it goes in front of the radiator. Will it interfere with the Type R chassis bar?

Also, can this be installed as a DIY with just jackstands and regular hand tools?

The front mount heat exchanger is placed in front of the radiator in the radiator shroud. It mounts to factory mounting locations (no drilling into body required!). It is designed to fit with the NSX-R chassis bars. The design credit goes to Driving Ambition who designed this heat exchanger and reservoir setup.

The heat exchanger sits tucked up into the bumper, so you don't even see it unless you get on your hands and knees:

frontmountinstalled.jpg

Cheers,
-- Chris

Some final testing was done today with the car on the street. Tested was done today in lovely Phoenix 101 F temperature with the pavement at 122 F. After 5 numerous wide open throttle pulls while datalogging, the temperature did not exceed the inlet temperatures produced on the dyno. This is probably attributed to the greater amount of air passing through the heat exchanger when in motion. This has exceeded our expectations, especially with the heat out.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Looks awesome Chris can't wait til Monday to pick it up.

My front spoiler has seen better days. Unfortunately I had to push the car up my driveway when the head gasket went .... no angle. I'll try Mother's black to black.

Do you have pics of the heat exchanger in the front of the car? I assume it goes in front of the radiator. Will it interfere with the Type R chassis bar?

Also, can this be installed as a DIY with just jackstands and regular hand tools?

SOS installed the Type R chassis bars at the same time they did the heat exchanger install.

This thread is REALLY pushing me towards adding the CTSC to my car as well even though I love how my NA car sounds right not, it's just not enough PUSH when WOT is hammered!

ok for a 2004 NSX owner, what exactly needs to be added in terms of parts, pricing, etc for a complete turnkey kit?

Another guy asked this but I didn't see a reply - can you still use the Comptech billet Triangular brace with this setup?

I want the most HP but keep it DD reliable. Would I need a new PG2 clutch too?

This thread is REALLY pushing me towards adding the CTSC to my car as well even though I love how my NA car sounds right not, it's just not enough PUSH when WOT is hammered!

ok for a 2004 NSX owner, what exactly needs to be added in terms of parts, pricing, etc for a complete turnkey kit?

Another guy asked this but I didn't see a reply - can you still use the Comptech billet Triangular brace with this setup?

I want the most HP but keep it DD reliable. Would I need a new PG2 clutch too?

You would not be able to use the Comptech brace with the intercooler without some modifications.

Cheers,
-- Chris

enginebayinstalled_800.jpg

Looks good, though I'd be concerned that your AEM wideband or FIC controller would get really hot and affect the hardware components inside, especially in those hot Arizon summers :) Electronic components begin to break down gradually after extended periods of high heat. There's a reason the stock ECU inside the cabin, just teasing :biggrin:

Great kit!

Back