• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New seats

Hey guys,
Im 6'1", and with a helmet, my head bumps into the cabin ceiling every two seconds. I have been looking into some seats on the science of speed website, and am thinking the Recaro Pole Position. I am wondering if anybody has any input on seats, and preferably, if anybody has aftermarket seats in their car around the Los Gatos or San Jose area that i could sit in to see if they fit well?

Thanks a bunch!
Karl

Karl,
I don't have aftermarket seats that you're looking for, but nice to know someone on Prime that lives close to me. I think you are probably within 5 miles from me. Want to get together some time? I am by Los Gatos Acura.
Alan

Yes of course, it would be fun to get together sometime. I have seen another black nsx once but im not sure if they are in this area, you are the first one i know of.

We can meet over coffee. I think Steve Wozniack still has his NSX. I've seen Steve driving his NSX in Los Gatos a couple of times. I'll PM you when my schedule looks open.

Hey Karl,
Nice to meet you at T-Hill about a week ago. One option is to get the Dali seat cushion. I bought one in cloth but haven't put it in my NSX yet. Should give you about 2 more inches of headroom. Here is the link:

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/ca...n.cfm?focus=547&CFID=2814255&CFTOKEN=67126537

+1 ... about 5-6 years ago I bought one of the Dali cushions (blk leather) I'm 6'2".... works like a charm.

I put velcro on the botom of the Dali cushion and the stock cushion and swap them in less than 5 minutes for track days. Works great!

+1 ... about 5-6 years ago I bought one of the Dali cushions (blk leather) I'm 6'2".... works like a charm.

I put velcro on the botom of the Dali cushion and the stock cushion and swap them in less than 5 minutes for track days. Works great!

Harry, where did you exactly locate the Velcro? I tried right before the edge where the foam has a bulge but it is not holding.

I take the seat completely out for track and use industrial 0.5" foam.

OK, here's the whole process....

Carefully remove the stock seat cushion so as not to damage it or tear the leather. Save the plastic buttons along the front -- you can reuse them each time you put the stock cushion back. It's easier to do all this with the seat out of the car, but I've done two without removing the seat. Breaking loose the white plastic bits that hold the rear of the cusion is the most difficult, followed by peeling the cushion loose of the adhesive holding it to the bottom of the seat.

Use solvent or thiner to remove the bulk of the adhesive residue from the bottom of the stock cushion and the floor of the seat. This will take some time, but get it clean - it will be worth it later.

Get some industrial strength Velcro (2-inches wide, comes in 5-foot-long rolls), this is the stuff with really strong grip (strong loops and hooks) and with peal-off adhesive backing (this glue is STRONG too).

Put the HOOK side on the now-exposed floor of the seat, and the LOOP side on the bottom of the stock cushion. I used four lengths, going from left-to-right across the seat.

If you use the Dali cushion you don't need to put any Velcro on it -- the rug-like material Dali uses on the bottom of its cushion is gripped really well by the HOOK part of the Velcro on the seat bottom.

Follow this course and I guarantee the cushion(s) will not slip, slide or move -- even under the highest fore/aft g-forces on the track.

That's it.

I use six-point belts on the track. I feed the submarine part through the existing hole in the lower-back of the seat (end up sitting on the straps as you would in a sports racer or formula car). Works great.

Enjoy!

Back