• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Newbie, where to start.

I've looked on and off at NSX's for a few years, but always get brought back to the germans. However, I again have the NSX bug, and feel one would be a great addition to the stable. From an owners perspective, first or second gen? What options are a must? What is the most desirable colour? What are common failures of these cars that I should watch out for? I have no fear of milage, I've owned a BMW 850 for years and have almost 270,000KM on her now. I have a dedicated racecar so this doesn't need to be a track rat, though she will see some occasional track time. I am certainly not looking for a garage queen, I love to drive, and I love to put miles on my cars.

I'm sure this has all been asked dozens of times before, so i'm also happy for just links to other forum posts.

Welcome to Prime.

You could burn away a day or weekend going thru links in this post, which might be a good starting point.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...NSX-shoppers?p=1747856&viewfull=1#post1747856

I found those links invaluable during my search and still look thru them. Hopefully they're good reading and also provide some key links to threads & wiki/faq entries that are helpful to a new shopper. I tried to create a starting point for new members like you since quite a few new owners begin with "what do I look for" posts like yours. I think my first post on Prime was something like yours. Wasn't sure if I wanted a coupe or T, 3 or 3.2 engine, 5 or 6 speed, etc. Initially was interested in black or silver or blue. The more you read and search thru Prime, the quicker I think you'll fine tune exactly what you really want. Meet up with local Prime owners and see a few in person - colors, mods, etc. First white NSX I saw up close in person resulted in me laser-focusing onto finding a white coupe. There's a regional section you might want to shout out to:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/40-Canadian-NSX-Owners

Good luck and welcome to Prime.

there is a very strong owners club nsxcc, many are in your neck of the woods.

"first or second gen? What options are a must? What is the most desirable colour? What are common failures of these cars that I should watch out for?"

97-2001 unless you don't mind the slightly awkward fixed headlights.
There are no options. Just a choice between coupe and targa, with coupes rare in later years and non-existant after 2001.
White and imola orange are hot colors.
Watch out for: Climate control computer, power window regulators, ABS control units, factory Bose audio components. OF COURSE make sure timing belt and water pump (and other scheduled maintenance for that matter) has been kept up to date...not just based on mileage but also YEARS!

Do your homework. Lots of info in the Wiki section of Prime.

I would only go with 97-01 since I feel those are the most desirable years. They always seem to demand a higher price and hold their value very well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. I'll certainly take a look. I'll be honest the NSX does have some competition from BMW's M5 with the V10 ( I know totally different cars) but it'll be either or. Once the weather starts to turn, I'll see if i can head out to the track or an owner's club meeting. I'd love to talk to some owners in person too!

funny you say that...the one time I drove the v10 m5 I thought it felt or performed like an nsx sedan.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll certainly take a look. I'll be honest the NSX does have some competition from BMW's M5 with the V10 ( I know totally different cars) but it'll be either or. Once the weather starts to turn, I'll see if i can head out to the track or an owner's club meeting. I'd love to talk to some owners in person too!

Have you driven a NSX? If not I would recommend doing that first. The NSX is pretty sad on paper but the feeling behind the wheel is hard to duplicate. After you drive both back to back you would see that the M5 and NSX are apples and oranges. Not that one is better, but they scratch totally different itches.

Back