• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Next gen?

Hi All,

Any thoughts on how the release of the 2nd Gen NSX will affect pricing of the used NSX market? I really don't know the details on when/if a next gen NSX will hit the market, but I notice there is an entire forum devoted to the topic so it must be likely....

I'm asking from the point of view of buying now vs. after that car comes out.

If you want a NSX now, buy it now. If you want a NSX in 3 or 4 years (that's when probable the next generation comes out) then wait. Prices for the current NSX will drop anyhow during this time.

I don't really expect any real effects of the new model on the price of the used ones. There will be some major hype and renewed interest of course, but at the end of the day, we're still talking about a 15-year old exotic, and the people who are actually going to buy the cars are those who love the car, not those who are excited by the new cover of R&T. Maybe some people will ask more because of the hype, but I don't anticipate them selling at a premium for very long, if at all. And on the other end, NSXs (NSXi?) are completely unique as the world's only reliable exotic, and have a small but dedicated following (to match the small production numbers) to ensure the price will never bottom out. We'll see the same glacial depreciation we have been experiencing, and by then I imagine the price point for the earliest models to be a few grand less than today, say an average of $27k instead of $30k.

I hate to say it but as some of these cars succumb to collision and are parted out, the remainder become increasingly more valuable.

That does not mean that I won't seriously consider a new "NSX" but it is going to have to be one charming car to casue me to shift from the NSX to it.

Aside from that, if Acura dealerships play the Ford dealership game that is presently being played out with the GT, (MSRP $135K sticker price $300K) then I will not have a new NSX for quite some time. I know, you're going to say Acura dealerships would not do that, right? I beg your pardon, but when the '01 CL Type S came out in May of '00, some of the dealerships in my area were tacking $2,500 onto the MSRP just because they had the car. I shopped and finally got one for less than MSRP, but they play those games and I hate it.

Cairo94507 said:
I hate to say it but as some of these cars succumb to collision and are parted out, the remainder become increasingly more valuable.

That does not mean that I won't seriously consider a new "NSX" but it is going to have to be one charming car to casue me to shift from the NSX to it.

Aside from that, if Acura dealerships play the Ford dealership game that is presently being played out with the GT, (MSRP $135K sticker price $300K) then I will not have a new NSX for quite some time. I know, you're going to say Acura dealerships would not do that, right? I beg your pardon, but when the '01 CL Type S came out in May of '00, some of the dealerships in my area were tacking $2,500 onto the MSRP just because they had the car. I shopped and finally got one for less than MSRP, but they play those games and I hate it.

Acura dealerships did it when the current NSX came out...Mine went for over 90,000 to the first owner

chumch said:
Acura dealerships did it when the current NSX came out...Mine went for over 90,000 to the first owner

Im curious, how do you know yours went for over $90K?? I know they did come with a premium. It would be interesting to know how much mine went for seeing that it is an early one. Any suggestions?

Nik

nik3sgte said:
Im curious, how do you know yours went for over $90K?? I know they did come with a premium. It would be interesting to know how much mine went for seeing that it is an early one. Any suggestions?

Nik

I think i either have the paperwork or I saw the paperwork from the first owners transaction with the dealership.

Back