• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Next generation NSX at 450HP

Not sure how crediable this is but Auto Express mention the next gen NSX's HP output to be 450HP with a similiar 3.6L V6.

Seems like just another rumor, but a sweet sounding one at that.

"Meanwhile, sources in Japan have revealed that the next-generation NSX, which is due for launch in late 2005, will be powered by a mighty 3.6-litre 450bhp version of the current model's V6 powerplant."

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/ae_news_story.php?id=42011

There will be hell to pay by all the other cars if the next NSX comes out with 450hp.

That would be great, but the even better news is the importing of the Type R into GB. I would think it would be even easier to get one into the US from GB than from Japan.

450 HP ? sounds a little bit to much. how is it possible to produce 450 hp with that strictly guidelines Honda does have? (environment, low consumption, etc...) We all know that Honda's Engineers are probably the best in the world. They graduated an internal engineering school and most of them have been involved in the formula one project (yearly over 250). In consideration of the fact, that Honda has a head start in the field of engineering, I don't believe they will able to produce 450 hp with a litte V6-engine. this power-output is attainable only with 10'000rpm! I guess Honda will construct a small leightweight - 3.5 Litre V6 with 410HP. For Honda real performance means maximum power considering the fuel cosumption and environment guidelines! If they would have the same specs like Ferrari, 450 or more hp wouldn't be a problem for Honda!

NSX-Racer said:
Would you really like to have a RHD in U.S.? I'm pretty sure they don't swap the steering wheel etc. for us right lane drivers.

My friend has a Mitsu EVO VI left hand drive out of GB. Not legal for the street in the US normally, but Rielley and Scott (race car builders in GB) pulled some tricks being a MFG to get it street legal for the US.

Even if they flipped the numbers I'd be real happy with 405 hp.

:D

-Jim

It goes right on with my predictions.

Over 110 hp / liter and in the best case over 120...

As I already said, this new car will have to show under

2,9 kg / hp to be respected at its debut.

WOW! 450 hp @ around 1250 kg ( my guess ) this is an awesome

2,78 kg / hp!!! :eek:

Combined with a paddle shifting system with seven gears, as I also said before, this new car will be absolutely incredible to drive:

NSX handling in/with the top hp league.

Once again the NSX concept will redefine the absolute in matter of driving exhiliration.

Hope this will be true.

And 3,8 @ 125 hp / liter would mean: 475 hp !!! and 2,63 kg / hp!

Been following this story at vtec.net also. It sounds too good to be true, but it certainly seems possible with a 9 K plus redline, afterall, the S2000 is putting down 120 hp/litre. If true, and if the
MSRP stays constant, it will be deja vu all over again and the new NSX will create another revolution in the world of sportscars.

It might be SC at that level of HP. Which would be fine with me.. but NA.. wow.. it would be amazing... I hope it is true.

as I said before. 450 hp is very high to set a benchmark. Honda will never release a car with a high fuel consumtion. (Ferrari, M5, Vette) I still believe they always are thinking F1-like. The question is; how many hp can I produce with low consumption and high reliability.

danpiu said:
as I said before. 450 hp is very high to set a benchmark. Honda will never release a car with a high fuel consumtion. (Ferrari, M5, Vette) I still believe they always are thinking F1-like. The question is; how many hp can I produce with low consumption and high reliability.

The cars you mention do quite well with fuel economy, especially on the highway.

Now, hard driving and track conditions will destroy the mpg figure these cars enjoy. But, as you know, the same is true with the NSX, which has significantly less power.

danpiu said:
What are you talking about? The Vette with its "low-tech" ( :rolleyes: yea, right) pushrod 5.7l V8 is rated at a better hwy mileage than my high-tech, "efficient" 2.0l F20C. While Honda makes some very green cars and some of that design philosophy leaks into other products it should not be a priority on something like the NSX or even the S2000. I want a powerful sports car, not a compromise.

Obviously Honda is more concerned about emissions than fuel economy, my wife's MDX gets 16.5 mpg but has an ULEV rating.
Meanwile my 11 year old NSX still gets 25 mpg, go figure. Point is , large motor in a small vehicle does better re fuel consumption
than small motor in a large vehicle. I think a 3.6 l iVTEC motor
producing 400 plus horsepower in a 2800 lb. vehicle would still
have fuel economy similar to today's NSX.

JimK said:
Obviously Honda is more concerned about emissions than fuel economy, my wife's MDX gets 16.5 mpg but has an ULEV rating.
Meanwile my 11 year old NSX still gets 25 mpg, go figure. Point is , large motor in a small vehicle does better re fuel consumption
than small motor in a large vehicle. I think a 3.6 l iVTEC motor
producing 400 plus horsepower in a 2800 lb. vehicle would still
have fuel economy similar to today's NSX.

Well, if the NSX had a 7-speed gear box, 7th could be geared for fuel economy and pull 1200 RPM at 70MPH. The vette gets great gas mileage for that reason. Remember, top speed in the vette is in 5th.

danpiu said:

While most Ferrari fuel consumption are in the teens or even single digits, the vette, at least according to manufacture claims, gets 30+ mpg highway. And although most Hondas gets good milage, I think it is emission levels that Honda is really aiming at.

PS: Just found out that there is a dedicated forum for gen2 NSX discussion... I was wondering where my thread went. :eek:

fuel consumption has alot to do with rpm and gearing.My highway milage ~22 Track ~5-8 depending on configuration.High tourque cars that cruise at lower rpm and can accelerate from low speed without a shift can surprise you with good milage.

Daveg27, if you just want a powerful sportscar, you should buy a modified supercharged Viper with twin turbo installed! :rolleyes: Honda cars are not made for people who prioritize only power. their philosophy is to find a healthy mix between low milage, maximum reliability, high quality, greenstyled, driveability, high-tech and power. I hope we will find the same attributes on the next generation NSX! ohterwise the mythos of NSX will die. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ChopsJazz said:
Or 504 hp! (540 hp anyone?) :D

hey ken,

i hope they don't flip it the wrong way and leave the car with 054hp.....:D unless the car weighs 300lbs.

Like I said: If they come out with 450hp, a little lighter and cost about 90Gs, it will sell like cup-cakes. Not to mention now that the NSX or its succesor can legitimately be consider "not to screw with."

Back