• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Nissan abandons GT-R launch control

Hope this isn't a repost. I didn't see it anywhere. Original article here.

It’s not often that a built-in feature can void a product’s warranty — even if it’s an undocumented one. But for some Nissan GT-R owners, that’s exactly what using the Launch Control mode did. Of course, many owners who inadvertently blew up their transmissions were none too happy, and Nissan was stuck fixing many of the cars to avoid a PR catastrophe. The end result? Nissan has removed the Launch Control feature entirely from the 2010 GT-R.

“It’s gone,” a company rep told Edmunds. He said the company simply doesn’t want to deal with the “warranty nightmare” anymore. That will make the 2009 GT-R pretty unique, since it will be the only R35 with the feature.

The Launch Control feature was always undocumented, but secrets are hard to keep in an Internet age. Most GT-R owners know about Launch Control and how to use it. The process involves disabling the traction control and pushing a combination of buttons — nothing needs to be physically tampered with.

At the end of the day, we’re left wondering if Nissan will now be forced to re-state the GT-R’s performance numbers. It’s widely known the figures used in the car’s marketing are only achievable using Launch Control — something that is no longer possible.

Instead of abandoning lauch control, I wonder if they could just beef up the transmisison to make the car perform they way they've marketed?

Instead of abandoning lauch control, I wonder if they could just beef up the transmisison to make the car perform they way they've marketed?

+1 just what I was thinking

They've got to do something. The only thing that car has to counter the ugliness is the numbers.

Therefore, the 2009 "1/2" Nissan GTR released during November of 2008 is a:
0-60 mph 5 seconds
1/14 Miles 13.1 seconds

All 2009 Nissan GTR will be convert to 2009 1/2 during next dealer service for the Window Vista style update, backward in performance.

Vancehuautoreport:biggrin:com

I wonder if this will generate law suits.

+ 2, If they added a feature just to show numbers in car and driver but don't allow the public to use it, that's lame.

I remember in an old old old episode of NSX-Files, an FD RX7 owner had recurring problems after going to a track day. IIRC, Mazda wouldn't cover their warranty b/c of track event use (though it wasn't prohibited). The case eventually went to court and the judge sided with the owner b/c Mazda marketed the car specifically as a "sports car."

Therefore, the 2009 "1/2" Nissan GTR released during November of 2008 is a:
0-60 mph 5 seconds
1/14 Miles 13.1 seconds

All 2009 Nissan GTR will be convert to 2009 1/2 during next dealer service for the Window Vista style update, backward in performance.

Vancehuautoreport:biggrin:com

I wonder if this will generate law suits.

thats going to be a sweet car, "super car killer" style is so 2008.

mini van killer is the next hard core style, and the gt-r has got the numbers for that now

I remember in an old old old episode of NSX-Files, an FD RX7 owner had recurring problems after going to a track day...
I remember that, as well. http://www.fd3s.net/lemon_site/troubles.htm This is how it ended:

mazda2bd1.gif

I wonder how much of that $44k the owner of the car ever saw?

Oh my God you mean FD RX7's had problems:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm sure it's just because the car wasn't properly maintained:wink:

I wonder how much of that $44k the owner of the car ever saw?

It was clear at the end of the arbitration which way the decision would go - I had won. The final award was for $28,182.39 in principal, plus interest at the statutory rate from August 11th, 1994, plus attorney fees according to proof of actual time spent, plus costs according to proof. This worked out to $31,242.39 plus legal fees of $13,057.24 for a total check in the amount of $44,299.63. Subtracting 10% for my lawyer, I netted $28,118,50 after driving the car 44,000 miles over 2 and half years.

In summary it sounds like a great deal, and basically it is. I got to drive the car for 2 1/2 years, put 40,000 miles on it, and it didn't cost me a penny. It cost Mazda dearly. Figure $44,300 to me and my lawyer, probably about $10,000 to their lawyer, at least $10,000 in warranty repairs to their dealers and they would have been a lot better off to just have treated me right to begin with.

Back