• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NJ MVC Collector Car status for NSX

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here had their NSX recognized as a collector car in the state of NJ. The main purpose is to exempt the vehicle from inspection. You still have to bring your vehicle to a state inspection site, but they don't do any emissions or safety inspections. They take a look at your odometer, ask you to drive around for more than a mile, and take a look at your odometer again when you return to verify the odometer is working. The downside for some is that there is a mileage limitation: 6000 miles every two years (3000 per year officially, but inspection is bi-annual).

The requirements for the application process are as follows:

1. Complete application and attach photographs (front, 2 sides, rear)
2. Show proof of insurance with recognized collector car insurance carrier (Allstate, State Farm, Geico, etc are not valid)
3. Submit a letter from the vehicle manufacturer, recognized car club or a collector organization attesting to the vehicle’s limited production status. Must be printed on official letterhead

#3 is where I have trouble. I'm wondering if it's possible to get one from NSXCA. Since they take dues, I'm assuming that they're registered. I know I can just email LarryB for help with this, but I figured I post this in case anyone else is interested. If NSXCA can't help, it's off to deal with Honda -- who will likely take several weeks to provide a letter.

Has anyone gone through this process and what did you use for your #3?

Thanks,
-Brian.

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here had their NSX recognized as a collector car in the state of NJ. The main purpose is to exempt the vehicle from inspection. You still have to bring your vehicle to a state inspection site, but they don't do any emissions or safety inspections. They take a look at your odometer, ask you to drive around for more than a mile, and take a look at your odometer again when you return to verify the odometer is working. The downside for some is that there is a mileage limitation: 6000 miles every two years (3000 per year officially, but inspection is bi-annual).

The requirements for the application process are as follows:

1. Complete application and attach photographs (front, 2 sides, rear)
2. Show proof of insurance with recognized collector car insurance carrier (Allstate, State Farm, Geico, etc are not valid)
3. Submit a letter from the vehicle manufacturer, recognized car club or a collector organization attesting to the vehicle’s limited production status. Must be printed on official letterhead

#3 is where I have trouble. I'm wondering if it's possible to get one from NSXCA. Since they take dues, I'm assuming that they're registered. I know I can just email LarryB for help with this, but I figured I post this in case anyone else is interested. If NSXCA can't help, it's off to deal with Honda -- who will likely take several weeks to provide a letter.

Has anyone gone through this process and what did you use for your #3?

Thanks,
-Brian.

I just pulled my application out and looking at it. nsxprime.com/wiki/production_numbers is the page I printed for them, circled the 98 in the column 1996, NSX-T, row Red/Tan.
Also printed out a sheet from members.tripod.com/thirdrocksvs/nsx.html and I highlighted in yellow for them overview statement where it said the NSX is a limited production car that sold 303 models in 1998.
I don't know which worked, but they sent me the stamped approval shortly thereafter. Any questions or other help, PLMK. :smile:

My approval letter from the state with the raised seal is dated 10/24/08, so if anything changed in a year (which I doubt), you should be good. I went to the inspection station in Paramus where the guy was real nice. Very important that you have proof of collector car insurance, not historic. I had Haggerty ID card. I went in with a fairly loud RM exhaust with no cats and my front plate hanging on with tie wraps, and all he did was check the odometer and issue me a decal to see me in 2 years. Good Luck Brian. :smile:

Back