• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

no full insurance coverage?

So I called my insurance company the other night, telling them I was looking at a used 91 to which they say:

"We can't insure cars over 8 years old. We can only offer liability."

has anyone ever experienced something like this, or know the reasoning why?

my carrier is "standard ins" - a tx based company.
i switched over after i got my own beater and was no longer on my parent's coverage, which was over a year ago.

The reason why - I'm just guessing - is that they're too small a company to have the flexibility that bigger companies offer.

Most of the big insurance companies insure NSXs without any such constraints.

beeker16 said:

"We can't insure cars over 8 years old. We can only offer liability."

Where abouts are you located?
I'm a insurance broker in Calgary, Canada.. They sometimes do that because alot of people drive beater cars, and the insurance companies don't want the liability of such old cars on the road, they (the old cars) in thier (insurance company's) own opinion may break down mechanically and cause a accident, the best advise is to shop around, and make sure you use the appraised value of your NSX if you have done any mods, my brother's got a 1990 Supra which is in Mint condition and he's using the appraised value because the insurance company will only give him ~$7000CDN for it, when its actually wroth over $18,000 with all the mods. You dont want to settle for the "estimated" value in the event of a total loss, for what its worth, its good piece of mind.

i'm located out in the dfw area of texas (dallas / fort worth).
it's been really frustrating looking for good quotes.

humm... down south? My advise would be to keep shopping around and try to avoid those online or companies which only do business thru phones, you think your frustrated now, if u have a make claim, try callin it in, then you'll see true frustration. We have alot of clients that had online insurance and have come back to the "old-school" way because of a lack of service or not enough human contact (too much dealing with machines.. etc):rolleyes: ... Go figure

Back