• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

No more 215/40-17 GSD3. What to do?

At the epicenter of the Zombie Apocalypse
I've been running 215/40-17 fronts and either 275/35-18 or 285/35-18 rears for the last 5 years. Originally SO-3s and currently F1 GSD3s.

Apparently 215/40-17 is becoming a scarce size. I'd like to hear some recommendations on other extreme performance summer tires in my required sizes or whether or not I can get away a different sized front in the GSD3 while retaining my 275 or 285 rears.

Thanks!
Hugh

P.S. I will NOT put POS Michelins on my car.

I've been running 215/40-17 fronts and either 275/35-18 or 285/35-18 rears for the last 5 years. Originally SO-3s and currently F1 GSD3s.

Apparently 215/40-17 is becoming a scarce size. I'd like to hear some recommendations on other extreme performance summer tires in my required sizes or whether or not I can get away a different sized front in the GSD3 while retaining my 275 or 285 rears.

Thanks!
Hugh

P.S. I will NOT put POS Michelins on my car.

that makes us 2, i hate Michelins, they are overpriced, but they are quiet tires on your mom's honda accord.:biggrin:

I've been preaching and preaching, Dunlop Z1 star spec., and they are cheaper than most of the equivalent performance tires at tirerack.

If you are looking at tire rack , there really is no single tire that jumps out at me , actually I just bought tires by listening to their test reports for the first time in my life! I bought the F1 asymmetric ,we will have to wait and see how they are but unfortunately they are not avail. in 215/40/17. In your size , I would probably pick kumho MX , conti SC2 , or star spec , in that order , this is just my opinion and only based on those available from tire rack , not to mention that if I was running 17/18 or 17/17 I would be running toyo r888's!!!

Last edited:
You can always downgrade!

Not only are Michelin PS2 quiet, strong, great ride, light and they offer fantastic performance wet or dry.

Best tire I've ever used, including the very good F1 GS D3.

Dunlops are good for the first 5K miles, then pretty much fall apart. I threw the Direzza DZ101 off my car at 10K in disgust they were so bad.

Any new tire is usually better than a worn out used one. It's how well they are still holding together at 5K, 10K or 15K that separtes the copycats from the innovators with the best build practices.

Let's see, which company X-rays every H speed rated or higher tire they make?

Last edited:
I think the Dunlop Z1 Star Spec would be the tire to get in the sizes 215/40/17 and 265/35/18. I don't think there is a better tire for the money for the street/autocross.

These are totally different than the Direzza DZ101 tires.

I need help with this subject also. What is the best tire size to replace a close to possible to the 215/40/17?

I've read most of the older threads, but no one seems to have the best answer.

-TIA

225/40/17 is a hens' tooth.235/40 rubs,225/35/17 another hens tooth.Might have to back down to 205/40-45/17:frown:

Nitto Invo's are available in the current configuration:

225/45-17 F
295/35-18 R

These will fit 8" wide fronts and 10" wide rears which I have and have a 4.58% differential with is 3.14% from stock so no TCS issues. But....the fronts will rub a tad won't they? Especially on a lowered car.

I'm currently using 215/40-17 F and 285/35-18 R which are an 8.70% differential and within 1.02% of stock.

For reference the OEM sizes of 205/50-15 F and 225/50-16 R are a 7.72% differential. You need to stay within 5% of this number to not upset the TCS.

Percentages were calculated using the front tire as baseline eg. Percentage difference = (F-R)/F*100

I used the circumference numbers however plugging in the diameters yields the same percentage differences. (obviously)

The Miata.net calculator rocks. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Last edited:
Okay, I've made my decision. Listen up DocL my well hung young friend.

Doctor Hughie, the Lateral G God is going with Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs in 215/40-17 Front and 275/35-18 Rear.

Charlotte started her life with me clad with Bridgestone SO-3 Pole Positions, then it was 3+ years of high speed cornering bliss on Goodyear Eagle F1-GSD3s but the King is dead, long live the King. I trusted my life to Dunlops on my Hayabusa and these Star Spec thingies have very good things written about them. I'm not due for a change for a little while yet since my front GSD3s refuse to wear out. But it appears that the Dunlops will be the next tires to grace the HREs.

Don't any of you freaks try to change my mind. Especially by recommending Michelin crap. And no, I'm not putting anything on my car that says "Hankook" on it. WTF were they thinking when they picked that brand name? It's almost as lame as Momo!

I decided to go with the Dunlops yesterday soley because they have the 215/40/17.

So this means I am really screwed!:frown: I just cut the side wall on my right Goodyear 215/40-17 GSD3s on the front. Both fronts have 6.5/32nds left on the inside and 8/32nds on the outside, stock alignment. Obviously this tire is not repairable. My rears have still lots of rubber left. So now what?:eek:

I guess I could offer up my left tire unless someone has a similar right I could buy since getting a pair is not going to be possible. This really sucks since I really loved these tires.

Can the 215/45-17 work with the stock 255/40-17 rears? I hate mixing tire brands but anyone know what would be compatible with my rears?

What a rude awakening to spring, the car just came out of hibernation yesterday when I went to the NSXCA Norhteast dinner, and discovered this in the AM. I guess I'm luck though, it didn't go flat while I was coming back from the dinner.:biggrin:

Tytus

Okay, I've made my decision. Listen up DocL my well hung young friend.

Doctor Hughie, the Lateral G God is going with Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs in 215/40-17 Front and 275/35-18 Rear.

Charlotte started her life with me clad with Bridgestone SO-3 Pole Positions, then it was 3+ years of high speed cornering bliss on Goodyear Eagle F1-GSD3s but the King is dead, long live the King. I trusted my life to Dunlops on my Hayabusa and these Star Spec thingies have very good things written about them. I'm not due for a change for a little while yet since my front GSD3s refuse to wear out. But it appears that the Dunlops will be the next tires to grace the HREs.

Don't any of you freaks try to change my mind. Especially by recommending Michelin crap. And no, I'm not putting anything on my car that says "Hankook" on it. WTF were they thinking when they picked that brand name? It's almost as lame as Momo!
i think hanKOOK was made for you !!!!lol

UPDATE: My local supplier found one front tire available at a warehouse!:biggrin: Should be there tomorrow. He's going to see if he can find another one but I'm not hopefull. My luck is going to run out sooner or later, I'll take getting the last tire at this point.

Now to figure out what to do in the future...Damn, I loved those tires, oh well.

Tytus

So what would y'all think if I remounted the left front on the right and put the new tire on the left to get a bit more wear out of the pair since the tires wear on the insides? The difference in wear is 1.5 32nds so it should not be that noticeable??:confused:

Thanks in advance for any opinions. I hope to get this last tire in the US mounted tomorrow afternoon.

Tytus

Well I got the last Goodyear tire in the US for the front of the the NSX mounted Tuesday and she's back on the road. I didn't swap sides as the dealer said that she might pull if I do it, it made sense, so now I will have one half used GSD3 for the right front if anyone needs one in the future. Still not sure where we all go from here to get the same wet and dry summer performance, I guess the Yoko is the next best thing in this size.

Tytus

Back