• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

No production TLX-Type S in sight? Acura you are losing another customer -

Tired of waiting. :mad:

LOVE our 2008 TL Type S, now with 130,xxx miles and maintained with an open wallet.
About time to move it within family and look at purchasing a new daily driver.

Been waiting. Waiting. Waiting ....... Honda/Acura, anyone give a rats rear end? :distress:
Honda / Acura shows a concept TLX Type S in the past few months. WHERE is word on any scheduled PRODUCTION? Evidently, not for 2020 model year. :confused:

It appears Honda can't or won't do it. I guess then, even if they did, we would have to deal with new model intro dealer markup$, er, I mean fleecing.

We will be seriously looking at the Kia Stinger with 3.3 L 365 hp V-6 and all-wheel drive.

https://autoweek.com/article/car-re...m_campaign=20191022&utm_content=hero-readmore

https://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2018-kia-stinger-drive-review-lots-hype-live

the stinger gets good reviews...

It appears Honda can't or won't do it. I guess then, even if they did, we would have to deal with new model intro dealer markup$, er, I mean fleecing.

We will be seriously looking at the Kia Stinger with 3.3 L 365 hp V-6 and all-wheel drive.

https://autoweek.com/article/car-re...m_campaign=20191022&utm_content=hero-readmore

https://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2018-kia-stinger-drive-review-lots-hype-live

Not all dealers "fleece" clients. I've never sold a car for over the MSRP, no need. The current TLX A Spec is pretty amazing in it's own right. My wife has one and I love it.

Not all dealers "fleece" clients. I've never sold a car for over the MSRP, no need. The current TLX A Spec is pretty amazing in it's own right. My wife has one and I love it.

Yea, Mike, I get that - esp. as you and I are old friends and I recognize there are dealerships/salespeople/you out there who are truly decent. I respect you greatly for
"I've never sold a car for over the MSRP, no need."

Yep, I'm a bit p*ssed. Tired of Honda dragging their heels when we all know what they CAN be.

Regarding the present TLX A Spec - yea, looks sporty and all. Like the paints offered. Like the interior leather and trim. But just a dress-up kit. Has zero performance improvements (oh wait, maybe it is more aero...........ah geez, for the markup-ask why spend on aero accessories) over regular TLX. Same old J 3.5 6 cyl.
Our present 2008 TL-Type S is rated 286 hp. Present TLX is what..... 295? Eleven years later? :redface:

TLX with 350+ hp and all-wheel drive? Too much to ask? Don't even care about all the electronic nannies and b00sh*t connectivity. Still want and expect a four door performance sedan. And Honda does still make sedans.

C'mon Honda / Acura. BRING IT.

Rant over for now :biggrin:

...Rant over for now :biggrin:

But is it? :D

AHM has really screwed the product and Acura really has nothing of substance to offer performance wise anymore.

I just got my first BMW, a M3 Comp with a real 6spd, and I love the car. I don't think the quality of any of the Acura's is close to that of the BMW. If you haven't driven one you should give it a try. Prices are pretty fair for low mileage one's too.

Hey Neal,

I drove a regular 4 cyl. TLX and was quite impressed with it's performance, considering.
To the point where I'd be intriqued to try out a 6 cyl. TLX SH-AWD.

Although, similar to you, I still have the desire to find a clean 6-speed TL Type-S in Kinetic Blue Pearl, for some reason.

Acura is rumored to release a fairly big glut of new models and performance trims in the next couple years. TLX full refresh (base 2.0T from RDX with a 3.0 TT/E-motor Type-S version derived from NSX), MDX full refresh, RLX replacement (rumored rebirth of "Legend" nameplate), and, depending on who you believe, either a fairly heavily refreshed NSX (major chassis revisions and design language update) with a new Type-S trim or a NSX Type-R RWD. All will include the new design language (which I really like), updated infotainment and power increases. I've even heard whispers that the ILX may change back to INTEGRA! [MENTION=12072]alum04org[/MENTION] it might be worth holding onto your TL Type-S (one of my favorite cars- a real Acura classic) for another year- I think you will have some good options for the 2021 model year. Acura lost me as a customer years ago (my driveway is now powered by Ford Ecoboost 3.5 TT) due to their stale, boring design, tired J-series powerplants and shoddy infotainment/connectivity. But, recent events have me thinking they are starting to get their mojo back...

AHM has really screwed the product and Acura really has nothing of substance to offer performance wise anymore.

I just got my first BMW, a M3 Comp with a real 6spd, and I love the car. I don't think the quality of any of the Acura's is close to that of the BMW. If you haven't driven one you should give it a try. Prices are pretty fair for low mileage one's too.

Any chance for a couple pics? I bet that thing is a monster compared to a little 4-cyl Honda.

There's only so much performance you can get out of a front wheel drive vehicle, I wouldn't hold your breath. Given todays vehicles all pushing upwards of 500hp or more and mid 3 second 0-60 times, you're living in an ended era of cars. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's just the way it is.

Acura has a 40-minute announcement spot at the LA Auto Show on 11/20. They are announcing something, and the new TLX is next up for upgrades. My hope is that they will be announcing the TLX Type S at the same time. I am anxiously awaiting a replacement for my TLX A-Spec, whose lease ends in June 2020.

Our resident Acura salesmen here on Prime have indicated in another thread here that the new TLX will be on sale by the end of 1Q 2020, and speculate that the Type S will be on sale shortly after.

Hoping the hype is true and we get a real performance sedan with a reasonable price. If so, I’ll be a customer. Just in case that doesn’t happen, I’m already looking for alternatives. My top choices are currently the Accord (you can’t ever beat an Accord, and 2.0t Sport manual is top of my list) and Stinger GT2.

Copy cat...;-)

Acura is rumored to release a fairly big glut of new models and performance trims in the next couple years. TLX full refresh (base 2.0T from RDX with a 3.0 TT/E-motor Type-S version derived from NSX), MDX full refresh, RLX replacement (rumored rebirth of "Legend" nameplate), and, depending on who you believe, either a fairly heavily refreshed NSX (major chassis revisions and design language update) with a new Type-S trim or a NSX Type-R RWD. All will include the new design language (which I really like), updated infotainment and power increases. I've even heard whispers that the ILX may change back to INTEGRA! @alum04org it might be worth holding onto your TL Type-S (one of my favorite cars- a real Acura classic) for another year- I think you will have some good options for the 2021 model year. Acura lost me as a customer years ago (my driveway is now powered by Ford Ecoboost 3.5 TT) due to their stale, boring design, tired J-series powerplants and shoddy infotainment/connectivity. But, recent events have me thinking they are starting to get their mojo back...

Is this all just cultivated through different various automotive "news" sources? Or dealers, salesmen, or actual Acura corporate entities?

Acura has a 40-minute announcement spot at the LA Auto Show on 11/20. They are announcing something, and the new TLX is next up for upgrades. My hope is that they will be announcing the TLX Type S at the same time. I am anxiously awaiting a replacement for my TLX A-Spec, whose lease ends in June 2020.

Our resident Acura salesmen here on Prime have indicated in another thread here that the new TLX will be on sale by the end of 1Q 2020, and speculate that the Type S will be on sale shortly after.

Hoping the hype is true and we get a real performance sedan with a reasonable price. If so, I’ll be a customer. Just in case that doesn’t happen, I’m already looking for alternatives. My top choices are currently the Accord (you can’t ever beat an Accord, and 2.0t Sport manual is top of my list) and Stinger GT2.
Good to know. Hard to keep up with all the car news lately, been too busy.

Last edited:
Just buy the car you like the most, irrespective of brand. Problem solved.

Is this all just cultivated through different various automotive "news" sources? Or dealers, salesmen, or actual Acura corporate entities?

Let's just say rumors for now. Maybe we can upgrade to "educated guesses" once more Honda releases occur. ;)

Back to this as I've appreciated you gentleman's input and advice.

Heard nothing more about new performance sedan.

No intention of outright sale of our 130K mile MRP 08 TL-S auto. I drove it today to get a nice oil change - it felt gooooood!

Spring 2020 will be looking at Kia Stinger GT (3.3 V-6 AWD), new style Honda Passport, entry b- m- w stuff, older Acura RL's w/low miles, and who knows what else.

I’m also looking at the Stinger, which in GT2 trim, has more features than my TLX A-Spec, and because of depreciation, I can pick up a used top trim car in the $30k’s already. I’m also looking downmarket at the Honda Accord Sport 2.0T manual. It fits my needs nicely and I am one of those who doesn’t mind daily driving a manual. I’m geeked that Honda put adaptive cruise control on a manual car. Looking at a couple of other oddball cars as well.

Welp...looks like I’m the new owner of an Accord 2.0T manual, pending paperwork. Not only have I scratched my new car itch with an inexpensive (compared to my usual buying habits) treat, I can have fun on my daily commute and I can wait out the teething pains for the coming Type S. Accord is just serious bang for buck now.

Echoing the frustrations of a number of those posting above. I've been a loyal Acura customer starting in 2000 with a TL, followed by a 2003 TLS, a 2004 TL, a 2006 TL and my /94 NSX acquired in 2009. Of all these Acuras I still have the NSX and the 2004 TL which I love to death (179,000 trouble-free miles and still looks/drives great -- I will never part with this car). After Gen III TL nothing Acura has produced (other than the new NSX) has been remotely interesting to me. The Gen IV TL was a step backwards in the aesthetics department and I just could not bear to look at that car despite the fact that it was in my opinion 10% better than the Gen III in the ride, handling, braking and acceleration departments. I found the TLX to be a disappointment for a variety of reasons, not the least of which were the funky transmission and the fact that the car was smaller than the Gen III TL. Reliability of the TLX was pretty poor in comparison to the Gen III TL from what I have heard and read. Since my last Acura acquisition we've had a Volvo S80T6 and a couple of Audis in the fleet. I feel abandoned by Acura. I sure hope that this time all the chatter about getting back to Acura's roots, etc., etc. is more than empty words as I'd like to return to the fold. However, until Acura produces something that speaks to me the way that the sweet Gen III TL series did, I won't be back. I'd gladly pay full sticker for a bubble wrapped brand new 2008 TL -- the Gen III TL is that good IMHO. The fact that Jon Ikeda is now at the helm (he was heavily involved in the Gen III TL program) gives me some hope. Please don't blow it Jon.Fortunately I'm good for the next two years -- wife's Audi A4 Quattro has 2 more years on the lease and although I'm no fan of VAG reliability (read: lack thereof), my A6 is only a bit over 4 years old with under 40,000 miles so I'm going to roll the dice and keep it until I can return to Mother Acura (or Lexus if Acura doesn't come up with anything for me) but in no event will I go beyond 6-6.5 years/65,000 miles -- too risky. And of course I still have the old TL for the times when the Audis are in the repair shop -- LOL.Mercedes ran an advertising campaign some years ago -- "Faithful" -- https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...3934C4A1BDDE2B9E0CE2393&view=detail&FORM=VIRE It ends with the following line -- Nothing will make a driver more faithful to a car than a car that is faithful to its driver.That is precisely how I feel about my old TL and my NSX. I want to believe and return! Anxiously waiting and trying to remain cautiously optimistic.Best,Jeff

LOVE our 2008 TL Type S, now with 130,xxx miles and maintained with an open wallet.
About time to move it within family and look at purchasing a new daily driver.

Similar to you, I also have TL Type S and kept it because I don't know what to replace it with.

I'm excited to see the Type S is back and how they kept with the spirit by adding performance upgrades. So many other companies performance trims are basically cosmetic upgrades.
On paper, it sounds really good with its SH-AWD and new V6 turbo. Can't wait to see some real world testing and reviews to see how it stacks up.

One of the great perks of the Type S was the available manual. Too bad that won't happen here. Let's hope the 10 speed auto can keep up.

Spring 2021 / April 2021 where is TLX-Type S ????

Guess I am back to the rant.
Have not signed in to Prime for too long.
New ACURA TLX type anything still vaporware.
Had to go to competitor Honda for a 2021 Passport AWD Elite (takes regular 87 fuel and happy with that here - what she wanted and makes perfect buyability sense to me even tho it may get re-done 2022/soon).
So buh-bye Acura you are tardy to market and premium fuel premium for what/when/never . . . . . vapor.

Will retain NSX's, happily consuming premium and tires! :biggrin: Worth it even though aged. Best of luck to you Acura!!

Signed,

Loyal Customers Past

Back