• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NOS Bottle Heater

Has anyone installed a NOS bottle heater on their car? I was just wondering how difficult that install might be. I have RM's NOS kit and I guess I will go with a NOS bottle warmer. Thanks for any input.

------------------
Jason

Jason, I installed an NOS bottle heater from RM Racing last year and it takes a couple of hours. If you have questions, I would contact Donovan at RM Racing and he can give you some excellent guidance.

Ouch, what kind of vehicle did that used to be?

Brad, Thank you for the reply. Was the heater that you purchased directly from RM? I am just trying to decide if I want to try to tackle this or pay someone who knows what they are doing. (it's usually the 2nd in most of my scenerios
wink.gif
)Thanks for the input.

------------------
Jason

I hate that the guys car exploded, but sueing the company for 500,000 is not justified IMO. He admittedly wired the bottle heater to constant power, that is wrong. He claims if the pop-off valve had worked properly this would not have happened and that may be true, but if the bottle warmer would have been installed properly it would not have happened either. oh well it is old news anyway, but I have never known anyone who had a problem with Nitrous Express. They sell a better kit than NOS IMO.

I have the RM NOS kit as well. I had the heater when I lived in Atlanta, but now that I am in Las Vegas, I certainly dont need it.
(I probably need a bottle cooler !!!)

Anyways, I really did not notice much diff with the heater, although the Atlanta winters are not all that cold. I took it off eventually as I was somewhat concerned about the safety issue.

Regarding the goober with the Maxima, how about a legal system rant? Anytime some idiot screws up, there is always the search for someone or something besides the idiot to blame it on (and sue).

I am in the insurance business, and I can go on for several pages about darwin award nominess who do all sorts of idiotic things in their garages that end up burning the house down, which of course is paid for by the ins company, raising the rates for all of us.

Just a short list, but quickly:

1) BBQ grill in the garage - do you want your garage well done or medium? How about the house next door- coming right up!
2) Space heater in the garage with tip switch bypassed - guess what-- it tipped !!!
3) My favorite- guy used law mower on its side with cowling off as a "fan". It tipped over shortly after the inception of the bizarre experiment, blade shattered, guy lost an eye, gas spilled, house burned down.

OK, now that is off my chest!
Where were we? Oh, I dont think the bottle heater is worth it- would be interested if anyone did notice the diff in a cold climate.

Originally posted by Vegas Boy:
I am in the insurance business, and I can go on for several pages about darwin award nominess who do all sorts of idiotic things in their garages that end up burning the house down, which of course is paid for by the ins company, raising the rates for all of us.

My personal favorite has always been the local sporting goods store. Owner of the store was cleaning golf clubs - with acetone - while smoking a cigar - and burned the family business down. Think he told the insurance company it was all his fault?
biggrin.gif

------------------
The NSX Model List Page

OK, here's one of my favorites- and this is not an urban legend as I was invovled in the litigation surrounding this.

You know those BBQ grills folks make out of used 55 gal drums? This good ole boy in Mississippi steals an "empty" drum from the loading dock of our client, a chem co.
He puts in his garage and gets out his blow torch- as soon as it hits the drum, it ignites the residue in the drum and BANG.
Burns the house down, vol FD shows up, 3 of their guys get injured trying to hose the house off (they get about one call a year, so not too sharp). The runoff flows down the street into a stream- they call the EPA. The
gomer himself escaped relatively unscathed, just blew his leg off below the knee.

So, we have a property claim, a medical claim, a liability issue with the FD and EPA problems. We try to settle, it all goes to trial. Keep in mind this is East Jesus, MS. Jury has a combined IQ of 35 and half of them
(no lie) are related somehow to the plaintiff. Scary stuff.

All this damage, of course, is my chem co clients fault (keep in mind the goober stole the drum).

We are in deep sh*t after the first couple hours, decide to go ahead and hire as co-counsel a local guy who, although appears dumb as a rock and reminds me of the attorney in "Wild Things"- Bill Murray, apparently has some swing in the county. An hour later, he settles the thing for a new pickup truck (nice one- about 30K) for the goober and very reasonable medical expenses. Our "big city" lawyers were ready to offer around half a million. We signed and got out of there real quick.
We later learned that the guys wife divorced him shortly thereafter and got the truck.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the NSX, but funny anyways.

Originally posted by Vegas Boy:
Anyways, I really did not notice much diff with the heater, although the Atlanta winters are not all that cold. I took it off eventually as I was somewhat concerned about the safety issue.

The heater is typically useful in two situations: 1) ambient temps of say 55F or less and 2) repeated back-to-back use of the nitrous (the expanding gas cools the tank)

It's easy to see if you need one - just check your pressure gauge. If it's below 900psi you're losing power.

Originally posted by Lud:
The heater is typically useful in two situations: 1) ambient temps of say 55F or less and 2) repeated back-to-back use of the nitrous (the expanding gas cools the tank)

It's easy to see if you need one - just check your pressure gauge. If it's below 900psi you're losing power.

Will you do any damage to the NOS system or your engine if you don't use a heater in colder temps; or if the pressure falls below 900 psi during use? Or will you just have less power?

Back