• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Now Defending Champ Audi to quit ALMS

Audi pulls out, ends American Le Mans Series dominance.

Associated Press:

FRANKFURT, Germany -- Audi is pulling out of the American Le Mans Series, ending a dominating nine-year run in which its cars won the LMP1 class championship every season.

Audi motor sports chief Wolfgang Ullrich said Friday the German car maker wanted to concentrate on Europe "in these difficult economic times."

The announcement came on the same day that Honda said it was pulling out of Formula One, as car makers around the world have been hit by massive declines in sales amid the global financial downturn.

Ullrich said the decision to drop out was "a difficult one" because Audi helped establish what he called a "fascinating motor sports series."

"Our brand dominated the last season with seven wins in 11 races," he said.

The racing cars in the series used so-called TDI technology -- or Turbocharged Direct Injection for diesel engines -- which "perfectly supported" the launch of the technology in the United States, Ullrich said.

Audi will continue to race in the 24-hour race in Le Mans, France, and will also keep its cars in the German touring cars (DTM) series, as well in the 12-hour race in Sebring, Fla.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Re: How bad will it get?

Audi, Honda. Who's next?
I'm not planning on it..............yet. :smile:

Maybe club racing as a spectator sport will make a comeback? :eek: Yeah right :rolleyes:

Well, back on topic, how about Red Bull?
http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=99766
But almost every team could have a reason depending on the mindset of the owner or the Board. I think the summary (about rules/cost and the timing of those changes) at the bottom of that page makes sense.

I would think one of the 3 prospective Honda buyers will come thru since the purchase is really a commitment to continue the team and Ross is confidently saying they are well ahead of most other teams in terms of KERS if not all the rule changes. And with some cost cutting provisions in the contract, the new owners could (should) be competitively racing for 1/2 of Honda's previous budget.

So, the really burning question is: does this mean that Danica won't get her promised test day? :eek: I'm sure Entertainment Tonight was going to be all over that.

Last edited:
Anyone still left? Maybe the end of ALMS as well? Sad news indeed...

Ted, does this mean you're gonna try D1 drifting competition now?

Re: Quit watching and go racing

Anyone still left? Maybe the end of ALMS as well? Sad news indeed...

Ted, does this mean you're gonna try D1 drifting competition now?

No, don't think I'd be any good at that; hate to waste rubber going that slow. But that's just me.

But really Larry, you lurker, get real, you're going to be racing sooner or later. So here's the deal. FM club racing is stronger than ever here in central CA. And there's a real nice FM for sale right now for less than 1/3 the price of Steve's car and trailer. And you'll be going faster for far less $$ per weekend. So get with the program and go racing before you and all of us can't afford it anymore. :eek:

But back on topic, who know's where pro racing is going. I'd hate to be a hot shot 12 YO kart racer with racing aspirations right now. That might be worse than being a realtor because the housing market will come back eventually. Not sure about big buck pro racing. :frown:

Ted- you're probably right! But you're just introducing to another form of drug.

I blew alot of moola this year on tracking, but it's much better than losing much of ones 201K (sorry, 401K), housing equity, or the stock market. Anyways, I'm waiting for Steve or Hrant to give me the green light to go even faster. In fact, Skip Barber Driving school is planned for '09. Way too much to learn.

BTW, big kahunas and deep pockets doesn't hurt either.

Re: Ah, ha..............

Skip Barber Driving school is planned for '09
Including at least one day in a formula car? :cool: If so, nothing more needs to be said. :wink: I'll wait for your call. :tongue:

I'm waiting for Steve or Hrant to give me the green light to go even faster
Whoa, talk about mixed signals, how are you dealing with that? :eek: I can see Steve waving the green and Hrant waving the yellow. :biggrin: (I'm donning my nomex now) :rolleyes:

Back