• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX brakes - disable ABS or not?

This might not be the time or place for this, but it is kind of along the same lines. :redface:

I have a 91 and the ABS started that squeal that you hear about during the "self test" after I first set out. So I installed an ABS pump from a late model integra. I made a wiring harness to make it plug and play and it worked great. No ABS lights, TCS lights or squeals. It still engages, but I noticed that the back locks up even though I used the '02+ NSX rear proportioning valve. I researched the Wilwood proportioning valves, but was having a hard time finding the adapting fittings. I guess my point to this is that it solved the weight issue (as the teg pump is considerably smaller and lighter), it was a cheaper solution than the SOS '02+ conversion, and still utilized the factory (91) NSX ABS computer without throwing lights. I have also tried installing other, cheaper honda ABS pumps with traction control signals integrated in the pump, but was concerned that the 4 wires coming from the NSX ABS computer (labeled as TCS) might require a different signal than what the wheel speed sensors put out. I would love to know if anyone knows what the 4 wires (labeled as TCS in the service manual ABS computer wiring diagram) require as a signal. I was assuming that they are a direct signal from the wheel sensors OR are a converted signal from the wheel sensors. They cannot be anything else because the wheel speed sensors do not communicate to the TCS through any other means.
This could be relevant to the OP and other Primers in the same boat because the newer pumps have a faster modulation rate and are lighter and cheaper.

Sorry for the novel, its just that I have been working on trying to bring this to the NSX community as an alternative option to the SOS kit as it is now ridiculously expensive now. OP, if I can get these two bugs worked out, this would be a feasible option for you to improve what you have without having to eliminate a valuable asset in your X.

Thanks,
Jay

I used to race rally (dirt & gravel) and even on tarmac I would disable ABS. Imagine the broken up canyon roads with dirt and rocks on the road with elevation changes sending you airborn... sends the ABS into panic. This is a far cry from a clean track, though. I still see merits in ABS on the track and street, especially for the inexperienced driver. Professional racers are even split on the topic, so there is no real answer. As people said, give it a try without ABS to see if its for you.

I pulled my ABS with the dali blocks and lines a few months ago ive done 3 track days since and can say, personally, im glad I did. Pedal feels much more direct on track and no more pissing fluid all over my garage. Since I live in LA the roads are crap and my ABS used to go into a tissy if I was even slightly on the brakes and went over a pot hole or something. If fact, I'd never 'used it' single time.

I should add my daily driver and many of the other cars I own and track don't have ABS, i'm quite used to not having it. If it were a good ABS system thats unobtrusive I would have probably kept, but this 35lb boat anchor that peed all over my NSX, not for me.

Last edited:
I have tracked with my 96 with and without abs and felt little overall improvement in lap times.I now have the whole 02 sos system and it feels good.I'm just happy not to have all those little solinoids getting stuck.

I have tracked with my 96 with and without abs and felt little overall improvement in lap times.I now have the whole 02 sos system and it feels good.I'm just happy not to have all those little solinoids getting stuck.
I'd say the 02 ABS conversion is probably one of the best safety and performance things you can do to a pre 02 NSX. SOS offers a great product.

406952_214239042004331_100002547107278_445857_148980370_n.jpg

Back