• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Brunch in Chicago (June)

T Bell said:
The only event I can think of on the 18th is the BRIC @ Road America.

Ditto.

Is the 18th set for the brunch, or are there some other dates we could consider (or perhaps have the brunch at Siebkins and do both?)

Sounds like most folks are free for brunch in the Chicago area on July 18, so let's do it then, in the Chicago area. badt, you're welcome to join us, of course - with or without your clutch. :( (There are always going to be a few who can't make it on any given date, for whatever reason. Unfortunate, but it's better to have the event than keep postponing it on and on until we find a date that fits everyone.)

If the Wisconsin folks who are going to Road America that day want to do something there, that's fine - but speaking for myself, I wouldn't drive to Elkhart Lake just for brunch. (Especially not for Siebkin's.)

Good crowd for 7/18 so far...

So far we have at least 10 folks :
- Rick (YellowNSX)
- Ken (nsxtasy)
- Manuel (nsx1164)
- Tom (T Bell)
- Mitch (Meeyatch)
- AaronR
- GinaK
- NSX Chi-town
- Fantasia
- Bad TL

Including SOs, this gets us to around 20 people... Rick, lets do it !!

Since July 18th sounds like a hit thats the date!
Now, Where to have it......the last one was north, the one before was south.......do we get closer to the city this time, Go west, or north or south again. Fielding all replies at this time.

Wasn't Lake Geneva our last one? That hardly counts as "north"; it counts as "Wisconsin". Or was it the Barn of Barrington? That's "northwest", not "north". I don't remember any that were truly "north", as in "northern suburbs", not in quite a while.

My general preference is for the 'burbs rather than the city. While the city has WAY more places to have brunch, with WAY more variety (and, many would say, quality), parking is an issue. What I mean is, we wouldn't be able to stand around in a parking lot outside the restaurant and oooh and ahhh at the cars. (And probably many folks wouldn't even bring the NSX out.) Of course, if other folks would prefer to do a city brunch, that's fine with me, I'm still in. It's just something to consider, that's all.

I'll throw out three suburban suggestions:

1. The Cheesecake Factory does a nice Sunday brunch, and the food and atmosphere are great. The menu's on their website; you can also order off their entire menu as well as the brunch menu. I'll suggest the one at the north end of Old Orchard Mall in Skokie, rather than the one downtown (parking) or in Schaumburg (since we have gone northwest recently). Parking is plentiful, in outdoor parking in front of the restaurant (can be crowded) as well as the parking garage behind Bloomingdale's (plentiful).

2. Betise is a restaurant in Plaza del Lago, the shopping center in the northeast corner of Wilmette. Theirs is an a la carte brunch (i.e. not buffet) with dishes such as raspberry-stuffed French toast, spicy chicken hash, poached eggs, steak and eggs, hamburger Betise, etc. Parking is generally plentiful.

3. Allgauer's is the restaurant in the Northbrook Hilton. They do a traditional buffet-style brunch, with everything from entree-type dishes (prime rib, I think) to the more usual breakfast fare. Quality is excellent. Parking in the lot can get crowded, but the parking garage behind the hotel is usually mostly empty.

Among city places, I think we went to Chilpancingo once, and it was a pretty good choice for a city brunch; the food is great, it's right off the expressway, and I think they have valet parking (although I'm not sure if that is a plus or not).

Anybody else have suggestions, toss 'em on the table. I'm always happy to try new places too!

VETO

I personally want to veto Cheesecake Factory ( I love the food, really do), but for them to accomodate 15 to 20 people? In a reasonable amount of time? Almost impossible! :eek:
I am also (personally) against some place that is going to Valet park our beauties.
However, I'm willing to throw out one of my own to see if soneone throws it out: Niko's @ 7600 so Harlem: http://www.bridgeviewchamber.com/archive/nikos.htm

Might also consider something around Oakbrook or Schaumburg as a good option.

brunch 7/18

Meeyatch1 said:
Did I miss the date we are doing this?
Mitch its Sunday 7/18.

I also vote for the buffet lunch/brunch type places -- typically offer more choices, and often offer competitive value, particularly for us, ahem, hearty eaters. Suburban locations typically offer better odds at parking, but not always.

So far we've had good luck recently with The Barn in Barrington, Grand Geneva in S WI (several times), and Countryside Holiday Inn.

I've heard that the Marriott Lincolnshire has a well-regarded Sunday buffet (good seafood/steak selections) -- I think its at their "Kings Wharf" restaurant. Probably comparable to Allgauer's at the Northbrook Hilton.

I've had good experience with Wildfire (casual steak place), with locations downtown, Oak Brook, Schaumburg and Lincolnshire.

I'm easy -- will still eat most things. Don't let the recent size change fool ya :)

YellowNSX said:
I personally want to veto Cheesecake Factory ( I love the food, really do), but for them to accomodate 15 to 20 people? In a reasonable amount of time? Almost impossible!
Not true. I've eaten at the Cheesecake Factory in Skokie with groups that big (bigger, in fact), and they accommodated us just fine (with an advance reservation), and served in a reasonable amount of time, no problems. There are lots of other places too - I'm not trying to push for Cheesecake Factory - but don't reject it for this reason.

Manuel, you mentioned buffet places, then mentioned Wildfire. Does Wildfire have a buffet, or do they just open early on Sundays with their normal dinner menu? (It's not clear from their website.)

Marriott's Lincolnshire, which you also mentions, refers to their Sunday brunch on their website. I'd be happy to try that...

I love and vote for either Cheesecake or Wildfire depending on the food style. If we do Wildfire we should save it for a dinner I would say (no buffet that I know of, but great fillet!).

If you wanted to do an earlier meet (10:30-12:00 ~ish) what about Walker Bros in Lincolnshire or Highland Park. WB in Lincolnshire has a huge unused (safe) rear parking lot and killer food. Just a suggestion....
Aaron

AaronR said:
If you wanted to do an earlier meet (10:30-12:00 ~ish) what about Walker Bros in Lincolnshire or Highland Park. WB in Lincolnshire has a huge unused (safe) rear parking lot and killer food. Just a suggestion....
Walker Brothers gets very busy on weekends and I suspect they wouldn't take a reservation for a large group. We could always call to confirm, one way or the other.

If, that is, folks here are in the mood for an apple pancake...
php_apple2.jpg

(For parking at the Highland Park location, they are on a large block called Port Clinton Square (or something like that) that has a parking garage.)

If you are mentioning Walker Bros. don't forget about the spinach and cheese crepes with hollandaise mmmmmmmmmmm :)

I love apple pancakes at Original pancake house as well, but I think that we might be better off having a brunch where the price is all the same, it makes dividing up the bill is much easier.

Huh? Sure, dividing the bill might be tricky at a dinner, or at a place where you're ordering a la carte off a menu that has everything from $7 egg dishes to $20 steaks, and/or people can run up the bill with alcohol. But dividing up the bill at a place like Walker Brothers, where everyone's order is going to be within a buck or two of everyone else's, is easy. The tough part with Walker Brothers is their ability to seat a large group.

Just my 2 cents but Ken I've had the brunch at the Warf in the Marriott Lincolnshire and in my opinin it was only average the best thing they had was the shrimp other than that it was just average. I went there on a gift certificate so I did'nt even pay for it but that was a couple years ago so they may be better now. It may me worth a try as there is ample parking.

Darrin.

When eating at Walker Brothers today, I noticed a note at the bottom of their menu that said that they have a private dining room at their Lincolnshire location, and it seats up to 30 people...

while I will be at the BRIC all weekend, I do know Ray Walker personally, and would be will ing to see if we can get a reservation there. we will need a general number commitment though!!

Thanks

Steve

please email me, as I am too busy to check these forums often!!

Steve

Honestly, I would like a "Brunch", I go to origial pancake house often enough, But would like a little more selection this time. I just had another Apple pancake today!

Well, there's still Allgauer's. I've been there numerous times and it's always been excellent.

nsxtasy said:
3. Allgauer's is the restaurant in the Northbrook Hilton. They do a traditional buffet-style brunch, with everything from entree-type dishes (prime rib, I think) to the more usual breakfast fare. Quality is excellent. Parking in the lot can get crowded, but the parking garage behind the hotel is usually mostly empty.

another vote for BRUNCH buffet

YellowNSX said:
Honestly, I would like a "Brunch", I go to origial pancake house often enough, But would like a little more selection this time.
I vote for BRUNCH buffet too. Gotta feed us carb-counting "hungry folks" :)

ASENNA88 said:
Just my 2 cents but Ken I've had the brunch at the Warf in the Marriott Lincolnshire and in my opinin it was only average
I've not tried the Marriott -- maybe its overrated... :)

Allgauer's (Northbrook) or "The Barn" (Barrington) would IMO be excellent choices.

Back