• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

NSX cars crashed

incredible how fragile the Lambos are...i mean, wheels hanging loose and everything...it seems that there isn't a normal chassi and only covers attached to a very skeleton structure or something

Two things strike me regarding the NSX and Lamborghini video...

1. It showed 2 Imola Orange NSX's crashed...I assume there are now less than 47 (2002 - 2005 models) on the road in the U.S.- perhaps less?

2. Alot of the wrecked Lamborghini's are from here in Dubai. There were 8 pauses I did during that video to catch the license plate number or wrecker telephone numbers - yup Dubai! The yellow Gallardo and BMW M5 crash happened right outside my front door in 2006...street racing of course.

Let's face it - Our nsx's all aluminum body is good and bad. Even with airbags, it's probably not the car I'd want to be in when getting t-boned by an SUV.
One of the saddest videos I've seen...

You probably DON'T want to get T-Bone in ANY subcompact or two seater sports car. PERIOD!!!

I much rather be in the NSX than Corvette or Porsche 911.

It is called a crash for a reason. If the car is NOT badly damaged, it's called a fender bender. ANY car hit any object pass 30 mph can inflict significant damage to the body/chassis.

The important thing about designing/making a car "safe" to drive is the well being of the driver after the crash.

Did you had a bad dream or something???

800px-Car_crash_1.jpg

carCrash1.jpg

car_crash_0164.jpg

0908carwideweb430x3164sx.jpg

dad_car_photo_2-670x473.jpg

car_crash_0197.jpg

ferrari_enzo_crash_2.jpg

ferrari_enzo_crash_mercedes_slr.jpg

Last edited:
Two things strike me regarding the NSX and Lamborghini video...

1. It showed 2 Imola Orange NSX's crashed...I assume there are now less than 47 (2002 - 2005 models) on the road in the U.S.- perhaps less?

2. Alot of the wrecked Lamborghini's are from here in Dubai. There were 8 pauses I did during that video to catch the license plate number or wrecker telephone numbers - yup Dubai! The yellow Gallardo and BMW M5 crash happened right outside my front door in 2006...street racing of course.

Or that there is 2 NSX that have been twisted and stretched that probably don't show on carfax.

I'm a insurance adjuster, and any head on crash or T-bone above 30mph will most likely total any car or truck so don't feel so bad. Also suspension components that are casted instead of being stamped steel like those found heavy trucks will snap. The snapped pieced will bend with requires you to change it anyways.

I've seen crashed where cars would get rear ended at a red light and the car would be so crushed, the rear seat is literally pushed into the front seat. And this hit would occur at a relatively slow speed.

OUCH! Where's the red asphalt? Nevertheless, new safety codes have resulted in car designs that are bulkier (ie. GTR). Gone are the days of sleek low front ends like the NSX.

Let's face it - Our nsx's all aluminum body is good and bad. Even with airbags, it's probably not the car I'd want to be in when getting t-boned by an SUV.
From what I've seen of serious accidents involving NSXs - and there have been quite a few, relatively speaking - the NSX would be one of my top picks for a car to be in when in an accident. The engineers really designed a lot of crashworthiness into the car.

From what I've seen of serious accidents involving NSXs - and there have been quite a few, relatively speaking - the NSX would be one of my top picks for a car to be in when in an accident. The engineers really designed a lot of crashworthiness into the car.

I agree. Watch the viddy of the wrecked NSXen, and pay attention to the cabin. In almost all of them, the passenger compartment is intact. The rest of the car might be twisted beyond recognition, but as long as the passengers remain in one piece, I'd call it a Good Thing.

Maybe OT or maybe noone is interested in but HOW large do you guess the percentage of crashed NSX?

Any crash test videos of the NSX?

They had to have done it at some time right?

I found one of a Mclaren F1 a while ago...

From the pics, it looks like the cabin held up in all but 2 of the cars.

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/nsx/nsx_20050718_001.shtml

nsx_20050718_001.jpg

"Car:
1991 Acura NSX

Description:
The driver lost control on a two lane road at 100mph. The car slid sideways into 2 curbs before ending up upside down in a the ditch. The driver and passenger ended up without even a scratch

nsx_20051121_002.jpg

nsx_20051121_001.jpg

"Car:
2002 Acura NS

Description:
A nice crash at 40 mph "

If that were a driver's side t-bone, the driver would probably be dead.

nsx_20050526_001.jpg

"Car:
2004 Acura NSX

Description:
Spotted this on the back of a tow truck in Markham, Illinois. "

Doesn't look too good from this pic. But you can't really tell.

nsx_121602_002.jpg

nsx_121602_001.jpg

"Location:
Los Angeles, CA

Description:
Lost control on the 110 North in December, 2002. No injuries."

Wow! how did anyone survive that?

nsx_061702_01.jpg

You can see the side-impact guard beams in the doors. Looks cool. I don't think the aluminum skin does jack in regards to protection. It looks like it just shreds away like a an aluminum coke can, and my intuition tells me it doesn't dissipate as much energy as other metals or CF. But those beams probably do most of the work.

LOL. You can almost see the outline of the bodies on the windshield:

nsx_20060610_001.jpg

"Car:
2004 Acura NSX-T

Description:
Crashed into a couple of pedestrians who were jaywalking

_______

Overall, the NSX holds up pretty well at least based on the limited information I could find. It certainly looks like it holds up better than Ferraris and Lamorghinis. Anyone have anything more objective?

Last edited:
Some people just don't understand crashes and materials used to make cars. The Acura RL is one. It's 5 star crash safety rated for every single test, even rollover. One of the only cars to ever do so. When I tell people that the trunk, hood and front fenders are aluminum, people automatically assume that the car is unsafe. They don't get that sheet metal isn't load bearing in an accident.

You can see the side-impact guard beams in the doors. Looks cool. I don't think the aluminum does jack in regards to protection. It looks like it just shreds away like a an aluminum coke can, and my intuition tells me it doesn't dissipate as much energy as other metals or CF. But those beams probably do most of the work.
I believe that the major structural components, including the side impact beams and the rocker sills, are made of extruded aluminum alloy.

I believe that the major structural components, including the side impact beams and the rocker sills, are made of extruded aluminum alloy.

Yeah, I meant the aluminum skin or sheet metal. I am sure the structural components do their job.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_1_100/ai_75706899

I guess this guy got really luck. Didn't think any one can survive a crash at 100mph.

http://www.autobuyguide.com/2005/12-aut/acura/nsx/crash-tests/index.html

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/88QT5JD46NE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/88QT5JD46NE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
First of all, that driver drove the wrong line and missed the apex completely. Then he probably panicked as he swung way wide and lifted (never lift in a turn). Sometimes an upgraded suspension and stiffer sways will help even a bad driver avoid such a mishap.

Maybe OT or maybe noone is interested in but HOW large do you guess the percentage of crashed NSX?

I have no idea but I suspect that the insurance companies have pretty exact figures on this. I think that there are several insurance salesmen that post on this site; perhaps they could get this information for us.

Back