• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX fuel pump resistor

My car would start but dies a second later. My first thought was the main relay. Had it checked yesterday and found out the fuel pump resistor was bad. The mechanic said there was no continuity. He follow the procedure given in the NSX repair manual that I've printed from the pdf file (credits goes to NSXPrime).

My question is that if the fuel pump resistor for the NSX is not available is there other similar resistor that I can use? I thought of Honda Legend's one since the engine is similar to the NSX. Tell me what you think? :frown:

I cannot help you with the resistor replacement, but have your mechanic check your fuel pump, as that is the likely cause.

My car died on the back straight at Barber last month. It would turn over but just would not fire. My first thoughts were igniter and fuel pump. Long story short, the spark was there, but the fuel was not. Checked the resistor, it was fried. Replaced it, which allowed the car to fire, but the fuel pump sounded bad. Checked voltage on it and it was pulling more amperage than it should have, indicating it was going out. I will be ordering a Walbro Monday.

Good luck in your search.

Thanks for the reply. I would replace the fuel pump resistor first as that is bad. If some problem comes afterward I will check the fuel pump. How much is it anyway?

Last edited:
What happened to Gary is not uncommon- it is the same thing thing that happens to the blower motor speed transistor when the blower motor itself goes bad. The amps draw of any dc motor (the fuel pump is a simple dc motor with a small plastic pump fixed to one end) goes way up when any defect causes the motor to work harder ie; bad bearing, bad pump, etc.
This increased amps draw takes a serious toll on any resistor or transistor which controls the voltage to the motor. This is clearly demonstrated in Ohm's Law, which defines the relationships between (P) power, (E) voltage, (I) current, and (R) resistance. One ohm is the resistance value through which one volt will maintain a current of one ampere.

All that said, resistors do go bad on their own; I have even replaced them on cars still under new car warranty with no other problems. If he hasn't already done this, the tech can confirm the diagnosis by shunting the two wires that the resistor plugs into and the car will start. If it does not, you have a differant or addl problem.

The resistor is still available and is the only part you should use.

HTH,
MB

Back