• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for Fuel Tank Removal Procedure within Service Manual

Hello everyone. I am in the process of removing my fuel tank to install a new Denso fuel pump.

I have searched here in the forum, on YouTube, and within the NSX Service Manual without much success.

The Service Manual is 1420 pages long and for some reason I cannot get my device to do a 'controled search'.

Can someone direct me towards what page to look at within the manual. And, if you know of a thread here in the forum on the procedure, that would be great too. The 2 videos I've seen on YT were done in bad lighting conditions.

Thanks!

Looking at the pdf for a 91 service manual I found it on page 11-108, there isn’t really much to the procedure there it all fit on one page. I’ve taken the tank down myself and it was a relatively straight forward process, I had the car on a lift though so that made the process easier.

IMG_0772.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0773.jpeg
    IMG_0773.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 10
Huge thanks!
The problem I am having today is, I cannot figure out how to disconnect the manual transmission shift linkage cables. I was hoping the service manual would show me the procedure. Thanks again

Oh, those cables actually have a cotter pin that is on the top of them, so you have to take the couple of 10mm bolts off that plastic cover and then reach over the top and close the cotter pin to slide them out and there will be a washer and the cable will pop right out upwards

Attachments

• IMG_0775.jpeg
    IMG_0775.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 11
Thank you Sir for all your help so far. I really appreciate it.

Oh, those cables actually have a cotter pin that is on the top of them, so you have to take the couple of 10mm bolts off that plastic cover and then reach over the top and close the cotter pin to slide them out and there will be a washer and the cable will pop right out upwards
The service manual procedure you just sent saved me a lot of time today. Thanks for your time and effort to help me, it really made my day easier!!

Got the tank out in approx 2 hours. Tested the fuel pump 'per the service manual procedure' within the NSX and couldn't hear the pump running. Then tested it when the tank was removed and still no life in the pump. I should be installing the new Denso pump tomorrow.

I just did this job. Not all that bad. Take the time to replace all those vent lines, etc with new. Why not while you are out and it is cheap insurance. Especially the main high pressure fuel feed line from the tank to the filter.

When reinstalling, don't forget to plug back in fuel level and pump while it is about half way back up.

And I found a cheap, almost exact down to the 3 flex bellows, fuel filler hose for very little $. You just need to cut like 2" off one end. It literally is a direct match for the curve. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0913L9TQ3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details DORMAN 573-064

My car ran 100% better with the new pump.

I just did this job. Not all that bad. Take the time to replace all those vent lines, etc with new. Why not while you are out and it is cheap insurance. Especially the main high pressure fuel feed line from the tank to the filter.

When reinstalling, don't forget to plug back in fuel level and pump while it is about half way back up.

And I found a cheap, almost exact down to the 3 flex bellows, fuel filler hose for very little $. You just need to cut like 2" off one end. It literally is a direct match for the curve. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0913L9TQ3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details DORMAN 573-064

My car ran 100% better with the new pump.
Wow, wonderful post. Really appreciate your recommendations, I will do exactly as you stated. Will also start the process of ordering the parts tonight. Thanks again

So which diagram numbers do ya'll recommend to replace when dropping the tank? seems like a lot of parts are discontinued (at least in the USA, I haven't compared to Amayama yet). This is a 91 diagram.

NSX fuel tank.jpg

All the rubber hoses. Number 25 is most important, I needed to get it from mega zip. took 7 days. All the other you can get the bulk rubber hose in proper size from many parts stores or online. I also bought the plastic part #4 because it was yellowed and only $8. But when I removed it was still super strong and was impossible to crack with my hands. The filler hose I previously noted, that's #18. And a new fuel filter too, since everything is unhooked.

This is what I bought, was more than enough length to do all. I reused factory clips.

I replaced every single hose. Keep in mind that Honda no longer sells the pre-cut lengths (I bought from Amayama). They send you a roll of hose and you have to cut it yourself. I did not replace #14 and now regret it because it is the evap purge valve and is really important to the proper functioning of the fuel system, so I'd replace that too.

Back