• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX OR ESPRIT

if you dont want a purely subjective IMO, just ask exotic dealers what THEY would own.

of the nine ive asked, every single one said the nsx. all said that you get most of the exotic experience without expense/reliability problems. all said the nsx handled as well as if not better than any other exotic at any price.

this is how i wound up with my nsx...every dealer recommended it. surprising since they all had much more expensive cars they could have sold me.....

That seems pretty subjective too. Not surprised they'd push the NSX over the Esprit, since for similar model years, the NSXen usually cost more!

Perhaps all is moot because one of the very recent car mags just announced that the Lotus Esprit will be nixed shortly. Fortunately, a version of the Elise is set to be federalized and imported for US HW use. Woo hoo!

I too share your quandry. The Lotus is exotic, rare and looks like a supercar.

However I used to own a 93 RX7 before I swapped it for a 95 NSX. I had taken a drive in my friends Esprit and I was impressed by the power but the ergonomics sucked horribly. This was made so clear when I jumped back into my RX7 and made me glad I had the Mazda. Fast forward to the NSX which is far superior to the Mazda in everything but performance on the track. So there, it depends what you want the car for. I'm sticking with my NSX until the new model comes out.

Marc

Originally posted by Prancing Horse:
If you have another car as a daily driver, I would say screw the overweight Esprit and look into a ELISE.
LotusElise1M.jpg

Word has it that the redesigned elise will be sold in the US in a year or two. According to the articles, the esprit will be dropped at about the same time.

The exige is even more interesting, but I havent heard anything about importing it to the US market =(

When I started to shop around for an exotic car I had the same problem, it was pretty hard to decide between the two cars but I ended up going with a 93' Esprit. I've driven both cars and agree that the Lotus is very cramped (I'm 6'1") but I got used to it and I'm actually pretty comfortable in it now. The visability sucks! the rearview mirror is useless, and the maintenece is very expensive, but there is something about that car that makes it worth it. The lotus is a bit faster than the early NSX's but it doesn't handle as well, also it is obviously not built as well. The bottom line is it makes more sense to buy the NSX but when I see or drive one it just doesn't excite me like the Lotus does. They are both great cars in very different ways.

Hey guys i dont own a nsx or anything im a 2002Celica man but seeing how u guys got the $$ u should go for this car Its a TOyota Supra with a totally remade body theres only 1 that will be sold its $165,000USD it has 800Hp kinda low but still looks good or you can just get a supra and buy the body kit that looks just like it ;(
http://www.suprastore.com/tokautsalwin.html

go here for better pics
smile.gif

http://www.suprastore.com/abs9supconmo.html

supra_1673_40971689

No offense (seriously), but that has got to be one of the ugliest cars I have ever seen. I have to admit, though, that I really, really hate the "excessive spoiler" look that the import crowd seems so obsessed with. I'd be willing to wager that most NSX owners would agree.

That said, $165k for a Supra?!?!?!?!?!?! For $165k I would much rather put myself into a 911TT, or F360. Or even better yet, just mod the NSX!

Another thing about NSX owners is most of us are into autocross, so super high HP, nearly untrackable, 1/4 mile monsters just don't appeal.

After owning eight Lotus's I saw the light and bought a NSX......I will never return
to the dark side. Remember why the British
drink warm beer... they all have Lucas refigerators.....The NSX is everything
a Lotus and Ferrari should be......

I cannot believe what I am reading! Here in the UK, Lotus stands for Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious. I like many have had a crush on an Esprit Turbo for many years. Who said that product placement does not work! They knew what they were doing when they used the Espit in James Bond, Pretty Woman, Filifax etc. But when you grow up and its is your own money that you are spending, issues such as Build Quality and Engineering Integrity should be paramount. The Lotus has none of these. The thought of spending a fortune at the Lotus dealer on repairs soon made me see sense. It relies on ancient technology and lightness. The only outstanding feature about any Lotus is its chassis. And I have to say that even its looks are now seriously begining to date.

Back