• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

NSX or M roadster BMW

Just got a chance to drive BMW's M roadster, I've heard a lot of talk about M3 but not much about this Z3 that now has the same engine. Small car is great fun with the top down, feels like a rocket with a seat tied on! But steering and suspension did not give me any confidence. Seems like built for straight line speed but not the curves or turns. As a driver of mid-engine car is it just that I don't know how to feel comfortable taking a corner fast in a front engine Hot-rod.

How many NSX'ers feel comfortable driving a front engine car fast?

I agree looks-wise its not the kind of car you can put "NASTY" on the licences plate.

But it hits 120mph in 3rd before you have time to glance at the speedo...or look in the review mirror to see everyone else still sitting at the stop light. And it just kind of feels neat to be sitting out-side in such a tiny car (even if I felt like I was sitting up too high).

But my main question is about handleing. Any one drive a Ferrari 550 Maranello or 456? Viper of ZO6? Taking a corner fast in front- engine car for someone that has driven mid-engine cars for a long time. What should I know? Feels so uncomfortable.

Or who has a NSX and M3? Do you like M3's steering and handeling around the bends?

i had a 97' dakar yellow m3 was nice. however, the tranny sucked big time don't know if the z-roadster uses the same or not but if so that alone would make me say nope. the handeling was good being that the weight of the car was 49/51 or something.

I sold my 2000 M Roadster with 35k miles for my 91 NSX with 15k miles.

Compairson:

M Roadster has a ton of torque and is very fun but has little rush up high in the rev range.

NSX is really fun and just as fast, just different of course with all the rush in the high range. I wish I had shorter gears however, as 2nd redlines at 80mph, a little too fast for me.

Handling:

M Roadster was a comfy ride, but did not handle well, it needed the Dinan stage 2 to really go.

NSX handles like a dream, espically after putting on Dali rolls and bigger wheels and tires.

Brakes:

M Roadster has fantastic brakes, NSX is above adverage, but not as good as the M.

Look:

Roadster looks nice, but the NSX is much better on the exterior, but the interior of the M is nicer.

Sam

I only test drove an M Roadster. Not as fast as my 2000 NSX, no where near as good looking, and the build quality is very subpar. The one I drove twisted like a Winabago (sp) and rattled like a Yugo.

I also drove a Z3 4-banger. What a dog!

Of all the $40K + sports cars I drove, the M3 was the least inspiring. It is impossible for me to compare an NSX with a M Roadster, after all the NSX is an exoctic supercar.

Buy a vette if torque and cost is an issue.

------------------
'00 Candy Apple Blue / Black

If the used NSX was not available in this 30-40K price point, I would still be driving vettes, a Z06 to be exact.
If you can get past the shoddy (not all that bad) interior, and like the excess of power (which I do,) there is nothing anywhere near as awesome in that price range (aside from a used Viper).

I own both an NSX and a 98 M-Roadster. I totally agree with Sam's comments above. The M-Roadster is real fun to drive because of the great torque. There is rarely a need to downshift. The brakes are way way way better than the NSX. But the Handling is downright scary. I drove it at Roebling Road last June. after having driven Roebling three times in my NSX and once in a Boxster. I found the M by comparison is not nearly as confidence inspiring. I was 5+ seconds a lap slower in the M despite as much or more power and better brakes.

OTOH expert drivers can ring out lap times for the M that are nearly as good as the NSX. So it just goes to show how much easier the NSX is to drive fast than the M-Roadster.

As for it being a girl's car, it is my wifes daily driver. But I find it to be a very classy convertible.

Tom Croly

Originally posted by tabasco:

Of all the $40K + sports cars I drove, the M3 was the least inspiring.

I haven't driven the M3, but I was under the impression that it is a great car. Car and Driver picked it over both a 996 and Z06. I am considering getting one, but now you have me wondering if it isn't that great. The local dealer isn't even allowing test drives.

BMW dealers and test drives...

I walked in, looked at the M-roadster for about 2 minutes, and the sales guy comes out and says "want to drive one?"
He gave me the keys told me where the best roads were, and told me to have fun. What a great sales guy. He knew I didn't want to hear a bunch of BS.. the car sells its self.

That was a week ago. I'm still smiling! What a great car. If you love an open top car, I have found no better convertable! The only problem is the steering and handleing didn't feel as good as a mid-engine car... put I highly recomend that car. Straight line speed and pick-up is amazing. You've got to drive one. I'm sure a few aftermarket mods could improve the steering and soft shocks.

Does anyone know how good these engines hold up if you drive the car hard and fast every where you go?

Originally posted by sabashioyaki:
I haven't driven the M3, but I was under the impression that it is a great car. Car and Driver picked it over both a 996 and Z06. I am considering getting one, but now you have me wondering if it isn't that great. The local dealer isn't even allowing test drives.

I had the wonderful opportunity to drive an e46 M3 for about 8 laps at Laguna Seca a couple weeks ago. It was a students car, so I only drove about 7 or 8/10ths. I was uninspired and pretty disappointed for as much as I hear people compare it to the NSX. I'd take the NSX any day, but on the other hand if you want 4 seats it was not bad.

I have had a chance to drive the M Coupe (240HP), (similar to the M roadster, but its not convertible). The car was amazingly fast. The torque was incredible. On the other hand, it was very small, easily oversteered and looks like a shoe.

It felt faster than the NSX's I have driven, but that is just the torque playing mind tricks.

The new M-roadsters/coupe now have the 333 HP (detuned to 321 i think) engine of the new M3. I can only imagine what that feels like!

Still, I would take an M3 over M roadster or coupe because it is more practical - has a lot more space, seats 4, has more power and looks better IMO.

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

Originally posted by NSXocto:
Or who has a NSX and M3? Do you like M3's steering and handeling around the bends?

If you're talking about E36 M3s(last gen), there was a discussion on it awhile ago regarding the M3 vs NSX. http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001415.html

The M3 is a solid car and I am more comfortable taking it to the limits than the NSX. The M3 is a very fast sedan whereas the NSX is a true sports car.

Thanks Justin. I have been looking for a car with a usable back seat, and the M3 seemed to be the best choice. The M5, E55, and C32 are all too expensive for me. Dealers are marking these cars up too much. Any other suggestions on sport sedans with a usable back seat?

Originally posted by sabashioyaki:
Thanks Justin. I have been looking for a car with a usable back seat, and the M3 seemed to be the best choice. The M5, E55, and C32 are all too expensive for me. Dealers are marking these cars up too much. Any other suggestions on sport sedans with a usable back seat?

If rear seat is a prerequisite I would consider the the clk 55 or e46 m3.

I have been looking for a car with a usable back seat, and the M3 seemed to be the best choice. The M5, E55, and C32 are all too expensive for me. Dealers are marking these cars up too much. Any other suggestions on sport sedans with a usable back seat?

Acura TL Type S
BMW 330i

Hi Sabashioyaki,
Definitely get the M3, I owned the new 2001 model. Buy it, the best money I spent on a car (speed + handling + comfort)
smile.gif

NSXocto
M3 is more solid and better car than M roadster.
If the choice is only M roadster or NSX, I will get an NSX instead of an M roadster.

A C32 waiting list time is about 1 year, do you know any dealer that have the car?
I was thinking about buying a C32, but after
looking at the M3 in person and reading the featured reviews from motortrend, I decided that I must have the "Ultimate Driving Machine", I didn't even need to test drive the car
smile.gif

If you test drive the car, remember to push the "sport" button (like a NOS button), you will feel the boost in power instantly, the car will be more aggressive. Turn off the sport mode if you want to safe gas
smile.gif

The Mercedes dealer here in Belmont (Autobahn) doesn't put a mark up on cars, check them out to see if there is cancellation.
I just bought a 2002 CLK from them because someone cancel the reservation.

Or get an M5
smile.gif

Don't forget to check out the BMW short Racing Movies
at http://www.bmwfilm.com
(I like the "Star" featuring M5)
and watch the "driving techniques" too, all using a standard BMW, you will know what the car can do in maneuvering. It shows control, timing and precision.

Back