• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX or NSX-T ?

Finally about to buy a NSX after years of dreaming. But not sure whether to get a targa or not. I know the coupe is more rigid, but is it noticable? Any other factors I should consider? thanks

Headroom

If you are going to track the car and are a tall person the NSX T will give you room for the helmet. I don’t know the down side if any to a T over a coupe. The car is incredibly engineered.

I thought it was the other way around. The coupe will give you more headroom. The T takes up more headroom. Of course, with the top off, you would have more room, but that would not be best for track driving.

Personally, I would get a 97 T because I think the 6-speed and 3.2L engine is worth the extra money. The 5-speed in the 91-94 is not geared as well and the extra midrange punch of the 97 is noticeable over the earlier cars.

As a '97 owner I have never been unhappy I waited for the 3.2/6 speed and the T is a plus. This car stays on the bottom of the Bend Pak so it's ready to go!

It's weird; some of the owners here have the NSX-T and say that in their multiyear ownership of the car they only took the top off a few times, but 99% it stays on. Personally I love taking the top off, and when it's nice out, it's off 99% percent of the time. The only time it's not is when it's a short trip and I have to worry about where I'm leaving it. I do have to keep some leather gloves in the car as during the summer that puppy gets HOT (mines black, so it's even hotter). I like the fact that the tops really light so it's easy to handle and it comes off so easily. I do notice when driving it with the top off that the body has slightly more flex when going over bumps etc so it's definitely not as stiff as the coupe.

I'm with ibDursty.
I really wanted a convertable; I settled on a T. I take my top on and off all the time. It's so easy. My bro has a C5 vette. He never takes his top off because its a two-man job and uses up all the storage space when its in the back of the car. The NSX top is easy to get off/on and the built-in storage on top of the engine cover provides safe storage.

It may be just my opinion, but I think the NSX looks even more exotic with the top off. All that said, I did have the privilage of driving a 91 coup and the car was nice and I could tell it was tighter, not that the T is loose by any means, but the coup is noticably tighter.

I think it all boils down to wheter or not you like the sun in your face and the wind in your hair.

mikec said:
My bro has a C5 vette. He never takes his top off because its a two-man job and uses up all the storage space when its in the back of the car.

I do like the Vette's Glass roof though. That is a cool option.

I had a MR2 T Bar years ago and I hardly ever had the roof off - because of the hassle and the British weather. Then in 1999 i bought a new S2000, that was different because I could lower the roof with a button at the traffic lights. The NSX-T I'm considering is quite a bit more than the coupe I'm considering. I'm assuming the T is more popular for resale?

BabyNSX said:
The NSX-T I'm considering is quite a bit more than the coupe I'm considering. I'm assuming the T is more popular for resale?

Nope, the Coupes were built in such limited production compared to the "T". Most "NSX Performance Enthusiast" would choose the coupe over the T for various performance reasons.

I would say the coupe would have a higher re-sale value than the "T" given the same model year,conditions etc.

Get a coupe if you are not going to take the top off or get the T if you are going to really use it. My convertible top stays down all year long except the raining season. As such, my T stays down all year long also since I only take it out during a dry sunny day:D I love topless.................................that goes to women as well;)

the main issue i think is the weather - most of you guys are in the us, where you get sun more regularly than here in the uk. we get a few weeks a year if we are lucky. hence most nsx's here are coupes and nsx-t's are rare. however, i agree it is the enthusiasts choice, but the opposite applies in terms of which is rarer, which means the targa may be the more sought after here

BabyNSX said:
the main issue i think is the weather - most of you guys are in the us, where you get sun more regularly than here in the uk. we get a few weeks a year if we are lucky. hence most nsx's here are coupes and nsx-t's are rare. however, i agree it is the enthusiasts choice, but the opposite applies in terms of which is rarer, which means the targa may be the more sought after here

Yes I know exactly what your saying as I'm in London. I'm researching into the X at the moment as it has always been my dream car and hoping to get one soon. Personally I would still go for the Targa despite the fact that we only get a few weeks of summer and I think resale is def higher as most NSX's I've seen here are standard coupes so the rarity of the T is always more desirable.

Wiqaas NSX-T said:
How and how fast you guys can take your NSX Top off by yourself :confused:
It's very easy to remove, I think I can do it in under a minute. Maybe it's just me... at first I took the top off whenever weather permitted, but now I almost never take it off because I do not like to be looked at. Maybe it's just me.

I prefer to have it off only if I am going to be on some back roads in the country.

I have a T and I almost never take it off. Its nice to have as an option I guess, but not a real big deal to me. I do love the 3.2L/6 speed though! You lose some tightness by having the T but I say get the T. That way you'll have the option to use it if you want.

Kinda depends on what you want to do with the car.

Tracking: Type-R.:D >Zanardi>3.2 Coupe>3.2T = 91-94.

Non Track use: ANY NSX IS AWESOME:D

Don't get me started;) My 96 targa does just fine at the track thank-you:p

I agree with doc. I did the canyon run with the top off just to see how bad it can get.............none of the issue of body flex, cow, or whatever wasn't noticeable. It drives just like my coupe....FYI, the canyon run here consists of twisted roads, curves, and ....did i mentioned reaaaaalllly twisted? get a T.....if you don't like it, put it back and forget about it.:D

docjohn said:
Don't get me started;) My 96 targa does just fine at the track thank-you:p

Although, I have a T, I have only taken it off three times. The 1st time when the dealer showed me how, the 2nd for a 10 minute drive (got too hot so I put it back on) and and the 3rd was at NSXPO '03 for a photo. Haven't taken it off since. That was last October.
With a T you can always take it off and put it back on. With a Coupe, you have no choice. The question is: are you loooking for a slightly lighter car? If yes, then get the Coupe. Otherwise, it's only a matter of a few pounds. Don't remember the exact weight difference for the additional support needed for a T.

NSXLuvr said:
Kinda depends on what you want to do with the car.

Tracking: Type-R.:D >Zanardi>3.2 Coupe>3.2T = 91-94.

Non Track use: ANY NSX IS AWESOME:D
I have to disagree; Any NSX is AWESOME - Period!!

My bro has a C5 vette. He never takes his top off because its a two-man job and uses up all the storage space when its in the back of the car.

That's odd. I just sold my C5 Corvette, and I took the top off just about every time I drove it. It's easily a one man job, and there is still room for stuff in the hatch area.

Back