• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Price is Right!

(20% less if mostly steel)

And that's pushin' it for V6 power. There's no way if the N/A displacement of 3.4 to 3.8 liters holds that it'll compete with R8s/911TTs/ZR-1s. You can tell just by corporate statements alone - "new kind of fun" that's it's just a continuation of the Honda way (i.e. excuses).

$118,450

NSX pricing needs to be consistent with its performance level. The latest $100k Porsche 911 Carrera S is a 3.5s car with sub 12s 1/4 miles.
My enthusiasm for the new NSX has waned quite a bit after all these years of hopings and disappointments. 25 years between the first and second generation is absurd. If these Honda beancounters did not screw around all these year, the HSC would have been a very nice transition as a second gen, and then the 2015 as the third gen. If the 2015 V6 Hybrid NSX is a contender, Honda needs to back it up with superior performance to win buyers from stiff competitions such as Nissan, Lexus, Porsche, R8, Lotus, Corvette, and many other capable cars. 400+ hp cars are all over the roads nowadays and many are less than $50k. Being an expert of mid-engined cars, Toyota can easily build a $60k MR3 with the ISF engine. Honda needs to package the car with VERY careful pricing or else it would be a flop.
Steve

114,000 - RedWings (changed due to apparent peer pressure) ;)

Nope, changed because I listened to the loud guy in the audience that works as a Sales Manager at my local Acura dealer :rolleyes:

I think they have to think like the Nissan 300zx, price crept up in the mid 90's and it killed it so they reintroduced it (350z)in what 2003(?) for less money. I think the NSX has to show value in order to compete.

My guess is $84,900

Last edited:
$0.00 as I predict additioal delays that push it back (maybe to forever again...)

$155,000 if it makes it to a showroom. Its only saving grace will be that nissan jacked up the GTR price last week by a rediculous amount...

Because people want Honda to be realistic and build a car that some Acura customers can actually afford.

Because they don't want Honda to make a car that only sells 200 per year after the first two years. Because without a V8 or a V10 it's going to be hard to compete with the next-gen Audi R8, 911 Turbo, C7 ZR-1.

Because they want Honda to be successful for the long term with this car.

Because when you get way over $100K you're hitting a different demographic - one that probably could afford a Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lambo or new Lotus Esprit and for these people the name means something and Honda/Acura doesn't quite do it.

-J

This is not a car you bring to production for sales. You bring this car--especially when designed like this--to production to boost the company's brand image and for the trickle-down effect it has. People walk into the showroom to look at the NSX, and end up buying an RSX.

Honda, Lexus, etc. all know that these cars aren't going to be successes in terms of numbers. They make them for different reasons. You make Camrys and Accords to be successful in terms of sales and making the company money.

And I totally agree that going over 100k brings you into a new category and that a hybrid V6 isn't going to cut it. Then again, an NA V6 didn't really cut it for the original NSX in its latter years either.

The NSX never was and never will be meant to make Honda money from direct sales--but form indirect sales and brand image.

I think all you have to do is look at the design of the thing, and ask yourself if that looks more like a sub 100k car or not. The NSX looks way more like an R8/Ferrari-type car than anything else.

As for someone else's argument about the 350Z coming back cheaper: I'm not really sure what the price discrepancy was after adjusting for inflation, but the 350z came back sans turbo with massive parts sharing. It never had an exotic flare about it. This concept on the other hands screams exotic, and imo will be priced as such.

I also wouldn't count on the NSX trying to be the fastest car out there. I don't think Honda ever focused on that even with the original NSX. The very fact that they are planning a hybrid indicates that this is going to be an image/halo car focusing on sportiness and hybrid technology. If they wanted a pure performance machine, they would have gone turbo or V8/V10. They used the hybrid to show off a hybrid supercar, so that ordinary people would look at their hybrid (insert car here, e.g., RSX/integra/whatever) and want to buy it.

Of course none of us, including me, know for sure. We haven't even seen the interior yet, and none of us know any engine details except for some concept overviews.

Last edited:
$94,999, bob!

I think it's stupid that they are even calling this car an NSX. It's clearly just an attempt to exploit the image of the original. Aside from being mid engine this new model is nothing like the first gen NSX. It doesn't look anything like it.

Back