• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

NSX question about engine noise

Hi,

I test drove a used NSX yesterday and it made a whine/whistle sound as the car accelerated. Is this normal?

thanks,
William Tsao

No, that's not normal for a stock NSX. However, it may be normal for an NSX that has been modified, particularly with an aftermarket intake and/or any type of forced induction like a supercharger or turbocharger.

I have a K&N Drop in filter in the stock box and I get a whine or hissing sound at 3500 RPM. The sound is not there on the stock filter.

I checked on the web to find out some other reasons for the problem. I apologize in advance if it doesn't make sense.

Could a bad diode in the alternator cause the engine to whine? Would replacing the alternator fix the problem and how much does one run for on an NSX?

If the differential fluid is low, would you also get a whine? Will adding more differential fluid fix the problem or is the whine a sign that its already too late?

Originally posted by wctsao:
Hi,

I test drove a used NSX yesterday and it made a whine/whistle sound as the car accelerated. Is this normal?

thanks,
William Tsao

Gear noise? Which year NSX is it?

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

Another possibility (if it sounds like gear noise) is aftermarket gears - particularly the R&P (ring and pinion).

A stock NSX should not have noticeable gear noise.

Actually, it could have been gear noise. I've never driven one in the past so I'm not sure how loud its suppose to be. Is there a way to reduce the gear noise (adding additives?)

The car is a 97 NSX-T.

I think the car was all stock. I plan on test driving another 97 NSX-T tomorrow and compare against the one I drove before.

Back