• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-R; new owner and maintenance questions

Hi NSX community, I am new owner of an NA1 NSX-R which just arrived from Japan. I used to be more in the Porsche camp but couldn't me more happy with the NSX - first impressions are out of this world good. I do have a few questions I was hoping you forum members could help me with:

1. May you recommend a good shop for maintenance in SoCal - I googled a few, tried calling them but phone numbers posted were out of date - My NSX has 19k km and seems to be in top top shape, though, the engine cuts out at 7600rpm so I wonder what the reason is for that
2. Any recommendations for a slightly better exhaust set up? Sound in the car is great, outside it's still a bit too muffled for me

Thank you!

IMG_2931.jpg

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:eek:

Very nice, serious R envy going on!

As to the engine cutting out at 7600 RPM, it may not be a serious problem. The Na1 engine has a rev limiter which initiates a hard fuel cut at 8300 RPM. If you hold the pedal to the floor the cut may be experienced as an engine on - off -on - off ... as the RPM drops below the cut and the engine starts up again only to cut out when the limit is exceeded. As @Kaz-kzukNA1 has pointed out, a 500 rpm error in the tach at full scale is not out of the question so you could actually be running up against the 8300 RPM limit in the ECU even though you think the engine is only running at 7600 RPM. Chances are that the capacitors in the tach circuit (and probably the speedometer circuit) have aged out of spec causing the error. The tach and speedo circuits do have a calibration adjustment to correct the error. This does require that the gauge cluster be removed at which time it would be good to also have the capacitors replaced.

The engine has a timing test loop in the igniter circuit. With a tach with a magnetic pick-up or a magnetic pick-up ignition timing light with a tach readout you can use the timing test loop to measure the actual engine RPM and compare to the dash tach to confirm whether there is a tach error. If there is a tach error the error magnitude is non linear being smaller at low RPM and getting larger with higher RPMS

With only 19,000 km on the odometer, the mileage limit on the timing belt has not been exceeded; but, you have blown past the time limit if it is original. I would not be exploring rev limits unless you have the records showing that the timing belt has been replaced in this decade.

Last edited:
NSX-R. Amazing- you might be the first one in the US.

+1 for Ramon at Niguel. Lots of exhaust to choose from. For a car of this caliber, I would go with the Fujitsubo Super Ti. :D

Thank you everyone for taking time to reply and the valuable information. I sincerely appreciate it! I will call Ramon tomorrow and do a little homework when it comes to exhausts.

beautiful....

where about are you in socal?

Hi NSX community, I am new owner of an NA1 NSX-R which just arrived from Japan. I used to be more in the Porsche camp but couldn't me more happy with the NSX - first impressions are out of this world good. I do have a few questions I was hoping you forum members could help me with:

1. May you recommend a good shop for maintenance in SoCal - I googled a few, tried calling them but phone numbers posted were out of date - My NSX has 19k km and seems to be in top top shape, though, the engine cuts out at 7600rpm so I wonder what the reason is for that
2. Any recommendations for a slightly better exhaust set up? Sound in the car is great, outside it's still a bit too muffled for me

Thank you!

View attachment 160603

Last edited:
Very nice.

The 7600 rpm limit may have something to do with the VSS.

Congrats.......nice car.

Does the NSX runs free or there is a 180 km/h speed limitation?

Regarding the value of the car, I would recomment a nice set of JDM MUGEN headers, 200 cpsi SARD cats and Fujitsubo SuperTi.
At my thread, there is a small sound file

Isn't the Fujitsubo pretty quiet?

Isn't the Fujitsubo pretty quiet?
Yes, it is.
Even so quiet that the Fuji could be used with test tipes.

The sound from my car remembers me back to year 1993.
It was the first time that I saw the NSX-R NA1 at the Nürburgring, with Gan san as Driver.
I was really impressed about the sound, it was not the standard NSX sound. (exhaust)
Honda used special exhaust system during their test drives at the N.Loop, think there is also a Best Motoring Video, which shows that.
If I remember right, the exhaust was build by Elbestahl (Fujitsubo)
So good idea looking for decent options. :smile:

I can confirm that the standard NSX-R sound is boring since I test drove that car in 2002.
I didnt bought that car, because RHD is no option for me, since my racecar was RHD.

Last edited:
What a beautiful art of machinery, as white as innocent. :) There was an auction in Japan recently...

Wow!! I'm not too far from you in Temecula....would love to see that bad boy!!!

Take it to Nick at Applied Motorsports in Vista.... He is great and an NSX-clusive shop.

PM if you need any other info or contact info

btw, I wouldn't touch a thing on that car.....leave it just the way she came form the factory!!!

Last edited:
Congrats and welcome! What a beautiful car! We have many gatherings in SoCal, hope you’ll be able to bring her out!

For exhaust recc, come out to a local meet to find out which tone you like best. Generally, I'd keep performance and authenticity in mind. Anything lightweight and from a legitimate Japanese manufacture should be good.

Congratulations!
That is awesome, period.

Seeing those wheels makes me miss my NSX. You have motivated me.

Please post some more pictures.

I'd love to come join you all for drives, meet you all in person, admire cars, and hear some different exhausts in person. Thank you for the messages, though I have not figured out yet how to reply.

Back