• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-R vs NSX Coupe (91-94) Rear Strut Tower Bar

Just wanted to share with those interested the difference between NSX-R Rear Strut Tower Bar and the stock NSX Coupe (91-94) Rear Strut Tower Bar.

The stock 91-94 bar (P/N: 74691-SL0-010) is made of thin-gauge tubular steel and weighs: ~0.6kg or ~1.3lbs

The NSX-R bar (P/N: 74691-SL0-Z10) is made of a much thicker steel and feels nearly solid. Weighs: ~1.2kg or ~2.6lbs

20170409_174448.jpg

20170409_174304.jpg

20170409_174340.jpg

Don't really have any info if there's any performance difference, unfortunately.

Good find! What's the cost difference?
Also, are the holes larger on the NSX-R bar?

Last edited:
Looks like the price of the NSX-R bar is (or was) twice that of the standard. (roughly 70 USD v. 35 USD). And yeah, it almost appears as though the R bar uses M10 and not M8 bolts?

Last edited:
This is very interesting. NA2 Coupes and Zanardi's didn't have this bar but it looks like 02+ NSX-Rs did (from photos I found on Google). I'm going to have to pick one up. Thanks for the part number.

Looks like the price of the NSX-R bar is (or was) twice that of the standard. (roughly 70 USD v. 35 USD). And yeah, it almost appears as though the R bar uses M10 and not M8 bolts?

Good find! What's the cost difference?
Also, are the holes larger on the NSX-R bar?

Yes, the holes are bigger. I just used the new Honda bolts that came with it (still M8 thread). I didn't price a stock one, but it's really cheap for a small-run OEM part.

This is very interesting. NA2 Coupes and Zanardi's didn't have this bar but it looks like 02+ NSX-Rs did (from photos I found on Google). I'm going to have to pick one up. Thanks for the part number.

No problem! I see that theNSX shop has it listed on their website. Also, other NSXPrime vendors like A-S Motorsport probably can get it as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comparison, the pictures and weights really tell the tale.

The original bolts used on the coupes do not properly fit the NSX-R strut tower bar. The correct bolts to get are part # 93404-08020-07. These are the same bolts that come standard on the targa. The difference is that they're black instead of silver and the washer has a larger diameter.

This is how the bolts look on the stock coupe....

11482engine1.jpg

This is how the bolts look on a real NSX-R....

SilverNSX-R6.jpg

The stiffer bar has been around for a lot longer than that. The bar first appeared on the 1992 NSX-R.

This part number (74691SL0Z10) is now NLA.

If anyone on this Forum, can detect the differences that this item makes when installed on your NSX, you need to be an F1 development Driver!

Bram

I didn’t buy it for the performance. I bought it for the bling, being honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back