• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-R wing spoiler dilemma

I know this may seem like a senseless thread to some, but this is why forums exist.

So basically I got a Procar Spec 2 wing (w/ 3rd brake light) and on the bottom consist of a hole that the wire from the trunk lid goes through to power the 3rd brake light.

First 2 photos are of the OEM rubber seal that the wing sits on top of.
I believe the seal measures 2" 1/4 x 1" (57.15mm X 25.4mm)

null_zpsf91d85e2.jpg

null_zps905b454d.jpg

These 2 photos are of the Spec 2 nsx-r wing.
I believe the hole measures 2" 1/4 x 7/8" (57.15mm X 22.22mm)
null_zps52b56aa3.jpg

null_zps9721510f.jpg

The wing does not sit flush around the oem rubber seal, the right side sits on top of the seal. You can kind of see it leave a mark on the rubber seal.

Here are some photos for reference.
This is the LHD wiring hole, it looks bigger than the RHD hole.
null_zps90cd60e4.jpg

This is the RHD wiring hole (this is supposely the true size of the nsx-r wing that goes over the jdm nsx-r rubber seal)
null_zpsb29781ee.jpg

**UPDATE**
I found pictures of the real JDM NSX-R Wing. To me it looks like the hole matches the USDM trunk rubber seal, but I could be wrong.
Realnsxr3_zps5d9dbeae.jpg

Detlef told me that the holes on both sides were cut out to fit the real NSX-R oem trunk lid rubber seal. For some reason you can compare the LHD and RHD, the placement is a little off if you were to mirror it.

So my question to you guys is, should I
1) just leave it be and let it not sit flush over the USDM rubber seal.
Or
2) modify/shave a $3,500 (msrp brand new) wing to fit over the USDM rubber seal to make it sit flush?

thank you guys for your time and suggestions.

Attachments

• nsxr11.jpg
    nsxr11.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 882
Last edited:
It's never fun having something that costs that much not fit properly, part of the game with aftermarket. You don't need to trim a lot of material by your measurements, it shouldn't be to hard to trim what you need to make your seal fit. Me personally, I'd trim the spoiler to fit the seal so everything is fitting correctly and flush. jmo good luck

Or just gets bicycle inner tube, cut it and make your own seal.

I think you'd be crazy to modify or shave a brand new $3500 wing. Is the difference that significant?

- - - Updated - - -

Or something similar to this...

It's never fun having something that costs that much not fit properly, part of the game with aftermarket. You don't need to trim a lot of material by your measurements, it shouldn't be to hard to trim what you need to make your seal fit. Me personally, I'd trim the spoiler to fit the seal so everything is fitting correctly and flush. jmo good luck

Hi Sleek, Please don't get me wrong, the Procar wing's fitment is superb, honestly better than the ones available on the market. It's just the hole was made for the JDM NSX-R trunk and not our USDM trunk.

A possibility.

I think you'd be crazy to modify or shave a brand new $3500 wing. Is the difference that significant?
Well I didn't buy the wing brand new, so my heart is still beating slowly back to normal lol. There is no significant difference. You know how it is man, you want everything perfect on your car.

I guess I misunderstood, I thought it had a noticeable gap when you said not sitting flush. What Dave wrote sounds like a viable option. I guess I'm CRAZY MAN, CRAZZZZYYYY. :cool:

I guess I misunderstood, I thought it had a noticeable gap when you said not sitting flush. What Dave wrote sounds like a viable option. I guess I'm CRAZY MAN, CRAZZZZYYYY. :cool:

haha, I think I'm actually the "Crazy" one.

A Dremel is your friend in a situation like this. That's what I'd do.

If your car is garaged and hardly see's rain, just take off the rubber seal on the trunk. As long as the foam padding on the wing is still good, it should act as a gasket like your tail lights.

As far as the gasket is concerned: pick up some craft foam from Michaels, Joanns, Wally world or the likes. Use the existing wing as a template. A little double sided tape to hold the gasket to the wing during the install is all that's necessary: compression from the fasteners will do the rest.

A Dremel is your friend in a situation like this. That's what I'd do.

If your car is garaged and hardly see's rain, just take off the rubber seal on the trunk. As long as the foam padding on the wing is still good, it should act as a gasket like your tail lights.

As far as the gasket is concerned: pick up some craft foam from Michaels, Joanns, Wally world or the likes. Use the existing wing as a template. A little double sided tape to hold the gasket to the wing during the install is all that's necessary: compression from the fasteners will do the rest.

Hi guys,

thanks everyone from your input. I just received my car back from the body shop. They marked the trunk rubber seal with florescent markings and shaved a tiny bit to make the wing sit flush on top of the seal. The right side of the left wing post/pillar now sits flush with no gap. While that was done, they high speed buff its to get all the old swirl marks out. I did wish I had a before and after pic, but the wing looks super slick now.

Didn't Downforce do a wing that fits perfectly and it's even cheaper too?

From my research, none of the wings fit perfectly besides the $7000 JDM wing. The hole for the third brake light is not even close to the real thing.

Dremel...if you ever sell it, the dremel'd area will benefit the next owner.

Yes they do and I have one. It was about $850.00 in black FRP. I had it painted Berlina Black at a local shop for $50.00. Science Of Speed sells them.

I think exposed carbon fiber is as ugly as a tweed suit. No way I would do that to Charlotte. :)

$3,500.00 for a damn wing? Exactly what were you smoking when your brain made that decision?

Yes they do and I have one. It was about $850.00 in black FRP. I had it painted Berlina Black at a local shop for $50.00. Science Of Speed sells them.

Does it have the (ever so slight) arc...so that it looks right? I understand that perfectly flat R wings look like they sag in the middle from different angles.

I understand that perfectly flat R wings look like they sag in the middle from different angles.

You're confusing R wings with strippers. :biggrin:

Do you really want me to look at my wing from a dozen different directions to try and spot this mysterious sag? Just say the magic word. :)

Back