• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX to a 993 Twin Turbo

I thought I would share as a comparison the Porsche 993 twin turbo against the NSX. While this topic could be under "New & Prospective Owners" I thought it better to place this here so past/present and future owners of a NSX may see it.

As a former owner of a 96t I do miss the car and wish I had room for it in the garage. No regrets about owning the last air cooled Porsche twin turbo ever made but when you step away from one car to another its not hard to tell differences.

The NSX is hands down better ergonomically (sp?). The cabin layout, controls and seating are top notch and good quality. The 993 model is what it is. Simplistic controls and more upright seating. Ride quality/comfort as far as a everyday driver, the NSX wins handsdown. Mine wasn't a daily driver and the Porsche isn't now, but its not even close. HP or DE driving is a toss up in my opinion if the cars are stock. The NSX is crisp and more exact in some areas with the ability to toss the Porsche and to feel it hook-up are real treat. The handling is dependent on how you like to drive and what your preferences are. Power is another thing on the track and thats a no brainer w/408hp with the twins. (Of course the game changes w/F/I on the NSX but thats another story). The power of a twin turbo requires you to be aware as the boost builds real fast and it runs like a sombitch...its addictive and you have to be on your toes if your going to push the car. If you don't watch it, it will bit back, end of story. Brakes....big reds, enough said! Body build quality, I heard from some the P-cars were a POS, some of the more mass produced models may be, but these are not. I would say its very comparable. No creeks, imperfections in paint the fit is equal to the NSX.

So the point is...I don't have one and I'm not telling alot of you guys something you don't already know. I don't care to debate (etc, etc) The NSX is still a great car and a bargin in value. Sure its long in the tooth in some aspects, but still a great preformer, looks great and is a pleasure to drive.

If your thinking about buying and considering something else, don't...buy an NSX. If someone told you the NSX isn't a car on par with this make, or that car....BS, don't believe them....I know!

Great review. The NSX is just an awesome car that is a little lacking in the HP department. The thing is, the NSX just does so many things well. It is hard to find a car that compares. There are faster cars, better handling cars, more expensive cars, more exotic cars --- but very few of them do as many things well as a NSX does. Which is why we all love our cars so much :)

great write up. Ive always wanted a 993 turbo and it was great to get a first hand comparison with the NSX. I love my NSX and would never sell it but id love to add another P-CAR to my stable :biggrin:

nice comparo.

the 993TT is a truly special car.

I too have been hooked on the pcar bug, I've been looking for the perfect 02996TT.
The modability of these cars is HUGE.
I'll be checking out a TT next week w/ the X50 kit w/ adds bigger turbos, intercooloers etc to the tune of 450HP. Get this though, b/c of these factory mods, an aftermarket Stage IV tune is ONLY an ECU flash. Total crank HP=640. Thats just insane! The one big advantage pcars have over nsxs and other modern jap cars is that wile the jap cars are pretty much maxxed out from the factory, the pcar has tons of extra juice left to be extracted. OTOH, porsche prolly does it so tthey can easily upgrade HP in the future.

I cant wait to test drive this 640HP monster, the owner sez it drives JUST like it was stock....absolute power corrupts...absolutely.

i do not own a turbo, but i have a c4 convertible. it is all wheel drive and is a 2003 model. i have seen many of the last air cooled versions (i.e. 1998 and earlier models) and have to say that the older models were purely built for the pure enjoyment of speed. mine is more refined and has many creature comforts. i have always dreamed of owning a porsche ever since i could remember. and i must say i am not disappointed. i bought the nsx because i like to own cars that not everyone has (porsche, nsx and range rover currently in the garage). i will say that the nsx is a head turner. more so than my convertible porsche. i believe both are unique in their own fashion. i am biased in that i, as above, have always wanted a porsche. but as now that i own both, i will say that the nsx is extremely fun to drive, corners better that my porsche-and that is saying something since it is all wheel drive. my porsche has more horsepower and it is obvious to me. i can only imagine that the turbo has so much power as to make your body feel like it has another two hundred pounds applied to it when you floor the car. the nsx sits lower than my porsche and i will agree that the layout of the interior of the nsx makes you feel as though you are behind a formula one race car, and i love that feeling. i do believe the nsx to probably be a better "all around" car, in terms of reliability, cornering, head turner, etc. but i would not agree that one should buy an nsx over a porsche. a porsche is what it is, and truely there is no substitute in the price range (mine was $100,000). now if you believe in best bang for the buck, then go buy a new corvette, but if you want exclusitivity, then find out what the kid in you always wants and buy it. if you want the head turning qualities of a nsx and the power and exhileration of the horsepower of a turbo porsche, then save up and buy a lambo. otherwise, buy a nsx or a porsche and feel priveledge to be able to place the key in a car that few will ever be able to. and enjoy the ride.
joe :wink:

qirex said:
nice comparo.

the 993TT is a truly special car.

I too have been hooked on the pcar bug, I've been looking for the perfect 02996TT.
The modability of these cars is HUGE.
I'll be checking out a TT next week w/ the X50 kit w/ adds bigger turbos, intercooloers etc to the tune of 450HP. Get this though, b/c of these factory mods, an aftermarket Stage IV tune is ONLY an ECU flash. Total crank HP=640. Thats just insane! The one big advantage pcars have over nsxs and other modern jap cars is that wile the jap cars are pretty much maxxed out from the factory, the pcar has tons of extra juice left to be extracted. OTOH, porsche prolly does it so tthey can easily upgrade HP in the future.

I cant wait to test drive this 640HP monster, the owner sez it drives JUST like it was stock....absolute power corrupts...absolutely.

The stage IV is a little overrated, but one did run a 11.1@127mph which is pretty freaking fast.

I too have a Porsche as well as the NSX. I bought a 2002 996TT in 2003. I had always wanted to own a Porsche and had initially test drove and put a down payment on a 1996 Ocean Blue 993TT. Unfortunately the car would not pass emissions so I ended up getting the 996TT instead. I agree with much of the write up above. The 993TT is a beautiful car, far nicer looking than the 996 but the interior is down right primitive. It reminded me of a VW beetle. The pedals that pivot from the floor were downright annoying. The 996 was a huge leap forward in driveability and comfort. Unfortunately, with the comfort came a certain amount of isolation from the road. I've tracked both cars and the Porsche is deceptively smooth and quiet. So much so that I had to upgrade the exhaust just to get a better feel as the what the car was doing. At the same time I went with the stage II upgrade which has dynoed at over 460 hp at the wheels and yes, the car drives just like stock. I have ridden in a stage 4-GT car with over 650hp and it drives the same with the exception of the increased hp. In my opinion, the NSX is a superior car is just about every way except acceleration.

I cant wait to try the stage IV. the seller is flying me out next week to test his car. The most tantalizing aspect is that as a stock X50, it needs NO hardware mods to hit 650HP (crank) just an ECU flash. Oh yeah, he did put the $5k europipe on, so I guess I shouldnt have the problem of the quiet popo.

Its just a shame that the nsx hasnt been updated more, or else I'd be buying one. Call me a puss, but the idea of modding the entire interior of a $60 02 NSX(nav etc) plus heavily reworking the engine to keep up with an STI (in a straight) line is kinda scaring me.

I still smile everytime I see an NSX, hell maybe one day i'll pick up a pre-95 as my beater/track car.

SCS2k, In your opinion, how does the nSX compare to the to the TT in terms of handling/grip? I think that the NSX offers a more direct relationship w/ the road, whilst the TT simply just ourgrips and outruns the X. Just my limited observations based on extensive drives (my neighbor lets me use his 91 at will). I must confess that the AWD thing never appealed to me - takes the fun out of driving, but I guess I just need to drive faster, the TTs traction is simply beyond belief.

I agree with Tom and SCS2K, Having had the 993TT (Short lived, don't ask) and a FI'd NSX I still have to give it to the NSX, sorry I have never really driven a stock NSX more than 5-10 miles, as far as handling and doing a lot of things correctly. The NSX, to me just feels more literal when it's pointed somewhere. The AWD of the TT lets you just grab and grab, However, it does not rebound as fast as the NSX will,if the NSX is properly driven through twisties. The 993TT/996TT pulls like a freight train, The FI NSX does not have the torque to keep up exiting a corner, but on the roll it can be a toss up. I loved the torque of the TT, it never seemed to end, most likely due to the relatively short track that I was on. I felt more feedback from the road in the NSX, the 993TT kind of made it harder to place the feedback, If it were to let go, you wold be hard pressed to know when it was going to. You would have to be doing something crazy to make it let go though.. I have not driven the 01-04 996TT on the track at all. Just the freeway.. It is an all star on the freeway. It is rock steady and just plain fast. I plan on having one one day.... My wife has me on Punishment right now.
It's Prova's Fault...

I would love to run into one of the Stage 4 or 5 in a few thousand miles. Names (My old friend Stephan Kaspar :smile: :smile: )
We'll see.

qirex said:
I cant wait to try the stage IV. the seller is flying me out next week to test his car. The most tantalizing aspect is that as a stock X50, it needs NO hardware mods to hit 650HP (crank) just an ECU flash. Oh yeah, he did put the $5k europipe on, so I guess I shouldnt have the problem of the quiet popo.

Its just a shame that the nsx hasnt been updated more, or else I'd be buying one. Call me a puss, but the idea of modding the entire interior of a $60 02 NSX(nav etc) plus heavily reworking the engine to keep up with an STI (in a straight) line is kinda scaring me.

I still smile everytime I see an NSX, hell maybe one day i'll pick up a pre-95 as my beater/track car.

SCS2k, In your opinion, how does the nSX compare to the to the TT in terms of handling/grip? I think that the NSX offers a more direct relationship w/ the road, whilst the TT simply just ourgrips and outruns the X. Just my limited observations based on extensive drives (my neighbor lets me use his 91 at will). I must confess that the AWD thing never appealed to me - takes the fun out of driving, but I guess I just need to drive faster, the TTs traction is simply beyond belief.

Most of the high hp (650) kits available require some hardware even on an X-50. They often need improved headers, larger intercoolers, stronger outlet pipes, diverter valves and most likely a better clutch.

I agree that the NSX communitcates road feel much better than the 996TT. The Porsche is faster but I feel quite isolated from the road/track. The grip with the AWD is very good but after coming from a low hp front wheel drive civic track car, the PSM saved me more than once when I got a little over aggressive with the throttle.

NetViper said:
Great review. The NSX is just an awesome car that is a little lacking in the HP department. The thing is, the NSX just does so many things well. It is hard to find a car that compares. There are faster cars, better handling cars, more expensive cars, more exotic cars --- but very few of them do as many things well as a NSX does. Which is why we all love our cars so much :)

Well said.

One other thing I noticed as well I though I would share. Contrary to some popular belief, the NSX is well respected in other circles. Lot of P-guy have run into a x or two on the track and they know what it can do in competent hands. Heck, ferrarichat has a huge thread going now about the NSX and its praises by some. I think it a huge complement to a car thats design 15+ years old and such a great value at the same time.

One other important thing I forgot too. For some reason, this car has got me alot harder as far as wanting to mod. I don't know if its the old racer come out in me know that I have a great base to work with or what... My wife says I'm sick and she is right. I'm considering a GT2 transformation and weighting options.

993TT S has always been on my wish list.. one day! the 996TT is just too common and not to mention they make it in tiptronic too many posers..

996TT number ~4k in north america.
sure there's bunch of tips out there, and I know a lot of purists preach 993TT, but honestly, the 996TT is a much more complete car, what it gives up in "rawness" it pays oodles in stability, comfort, And power.

Carreras are dimadozen, i'll give you that, but turbos are much fewer/farther between.

lets not forget that a 996TT is a bonafide supercar.

Back