• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs BMW M coupe?

I recently got a chance to drive a BMW M coupe and it was a ton of fun! The coupe was really fast and cornered well, but it sure isnt pretty. My dream car is the NSX and I still haven't had a chance to drive one yet. Has anyone driven both cars? Any comparisons?

------------------
NetViper -= looking to get an NSX before I turn 25! =-

Has anyone driven both cars?

Yes, I have.

Any comparisons?

There's no comparison. Nice car, but it's not even in the same league as the NSX. The NSX feels totally connected to the road with a feeling of absolute precision in driving manners. The M Coupe doesn't.

NSXTACY...I must respectfully disagree.

Having driven both cars and owned an M3 I must admitt the M3 is much more intuned with the road than the NSX. I was able to out perform other NSX's at the track easily becaise the M3 is so easy to predict. I never had the slightest hesitation at swinging the rear end out on any corner just to have ome fun..it was by far the easiest car to race around traffic in...the view was un parralled.

Where's Marc (aka Flying Low)? He's got both a NSX and a M Coupe.

He'll tell ya that the M Coupe may get the jump off the line because it's got a bit more low end torque, but the NSX will quickly pass it once they get going.

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 03 November 2000).]

Originally posted by mattchu:
NSXTACY...I must respectfully disagree.

Having driven both cars and owned an M3 I must admitt the M3 is much more intuned with the road than the NSX. I was able to out perform other NSX's at the track easily becaise the M3 is so easy to predict. I never had the slightest hesitation at swinging the rear end out on any corner just to have ome fun..it was by far the easiest car to race around traffic in...the view was un parralled.

Matt, I agree the M3 is much easier car to drive (I used to owned one). However the NSX is a faster car in the track than an M3. Given, both cars are stock or both cars have all bolt on parts mods.

My 95 M3 had Koni, w/ H&R, RD sway bars and M lower crossbar. Dinan cold air intake, Jim C chip, RD headers, and Remus exhaust.

My NSX have Koni w/ H&R, Dali race bars, Dinan chip, DC headers, HKS exhaust, custom cold air intake.

With my experience, I can go to all three tracks (sears point, thunderhill, and Laguna) in the area faster than I did in my M3.

Also, a few months back in one of the open track event, The advance people, had the opportunity to measure up against the instructors in the last session. And I was simply the fastest guy over there. There were 2 instructors went offroad, tried to catch up w/ me. One was driving an M3 and the other was driving a 930 Porsche. I'm not trying to be obnoxious or arrogant. But I think given more time and skill on the NSX, U will be surprise how the car will behave and handle. I was skeptical (sp?) at first, but now I'm a believer.

For the record, I am still a BMW fan. Still a member of BMWCCA, and looking forward to the new M3.

[This message has been edited by Andrie Hartanto (edited 03 November 2000).]

I agree with Andrie. IMO, the M will be an easier car to drive fast AT FIRST (especially for an inexperienced driver), but get some more experience behind the wheel and you will ultimately find the NSX much faster.

Still a member of BMWCCA

Me too.

Bring your NSX to a BMW CCA track event and ask one of the experienced instructors to take you around the track in it for some hot laps. If he's never driven one before, watch his eyes light up by about the end of the second lap...
biggrin.gif

I'm not able to speak for the M coupe, but again I just sold a 97 M3 (same engine & tranny)for an NSX. Having the NSX now, I would say that the M coupe would be much more drivable in everday street spirited driving, and much happier in the lower revs. At the limit with experience I agree the NSX would prevail.

[This message has been edited by Lee (edited 03 November 2000).]

What are you feelings on the NSX vs M Coupe acceleration wise? The M coupe felt like a rocket and seemed to have plenty of power. It was really powerful from 60-90. How about the NSX?

------------------

I can't speak for the M Coupe, but I have driven both my friend's NSX and my M3 on the same track and on the same day.

Although I found the M3 to be more forgiving and predictable (thus easier to drive near the limit), I found myself lapping at a quicker pace in the NSX - and I was no where near the limits of the NSX.

Besides, I think the whole driving experience is just that much better in the NSX... The seating position, the view, the point-n-shoot steering, the exotic looks, etc... all combine to deliver an exhilarating experience.

However, I am still a huge BMW fan (specially the M cars) and can't wait to see the new E46 M3 on the road.
wink.gif

------------------
'95 NSX-T: comptech exhaust, eibachs, bilsteins, WW front spoiler, 17/18 Work Wheels
'95 M3
'99 A4

Originally posted by NetViper:
What are you feelings on the NSX vs M Coupe acceleration wise? The M coupe felt like a rocket and seemed to have plenty of power. It was really powerful from 60-90. How about the NSX?

Having bought myself an NSX for my 25th b-day, go for it! (re: your sig) The NSX really jumps from 55-110, especially in a quick drop from 5th to 3rd rolling up the RPMs, I have only ridden in an M Coupe but I couldn't compare the two, just a different league all together.

As a side note, when in the M Coupe most people were looking at us like 'Oh how sad, look what they did to that BMW', when in the NSX, people stare, but it's not looks of pity
wink.gif

My girlfriend thought they were cute though, so hey, they can't be all bad
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Jonathan (edited 04 November 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Jonathan (edited 04 November 2000).]

Guys, I just got back from Heartland park and the only car to pass the M3 coupe was my NSX. This is my first driving school and his second. He took alot better lines and was actually faster than me in the corners but he made couple mistakes and I caught up to him prior to the long straight away and he wave me by.

Man, was I surprised how fast he was. He took the late apex while I took the early apex. The instructor keep telling me late apex, be patient. BTW, I got it on Camera. Oh yeah, I do have over 100 hp in advantage. He definitely drive alot better than me.

I drive an NSX and my wife drives the M Coupe.

They excell in completely different classes.

Around town my wife's M Coupe kills my NSX. It's just faster off the line. It also has a lot of oversteer which is great for low speed handling.

Above 70mph the NSX has the advantage in accelaration and handling. (You do not want oversteer at these higher speeds.)

Truthfully, the M Coupe is more appreciated in daily driving. I love my NSX because I know that she is greater at the limit. But at $42K-brand new the M Coupe kicks butt. Imagine the new 333hp M Coupe next year. It will be fierce.

We need a more powerful NSX soon....

------------------
94 Red & Tan NSX 5spd
1999 Cosmos BMW M Coupe 5spd

The BMW M3 is one of my favorites, thats off course after the NSX. In the past i have done a lot of work on the M3, on the old one (the first), and the new one (not the latest). I find this car very, very well made. Since one off me mates ownes one, we sometimes get into a race, and its never clear who's faster. Personaly i think his M3 is faster then my NSX (1993).
Reading this list it always seems that in the US the M3 is slower, looking at the data of performance, it seems that the US M3 is different from the european one.
Last week one guy i know bought a M3, which was imported from the US (yep, we import cars from the usa, while the car is manufactered next door), and yes, the engine is completely different from the european one!

I have driving both, and yes, the US M3 just misses that last bit which the european one has.

But thats all for comparison, the M3 is for someone who just wants a everyday car with more power, being able to take your children along and have space for laguage or groceries. We have raced it against a 348TB, and the italian never stood a change, all what the italian gained was another wheelbaring failure..............

If you are in doubt of buying an NSX or a M3, go for the M3. A NSX comes with a lot of disadvantages over the M3,a NSX should be bought without any doubt wether it is the right car for you.

When i bought my NSX i was aware of the disadvantages of having this car as my only car, and i am soooo pleased with it, it's without any doubt the best car i have ever driven, and thats icluding the comments like 'god, that new prelude looks great!' or 'Does your car reach 200kmh ?'.

Sorry for bad spelling........

1993 black/black
Dutch Black NSX

I have no doubt the NSX is the right car for me, though I still havent had a chance to drive one. I did drive a 1997 M3 manual 2 weeks ago. I really enjoyed it. It was fast and handled well. I couldnt do anything crazy with it seeing my girlfriend was in the car. I still really want the NSX, but it is hard to find one around here. (Louisiana). My biggest problem right now is money. That car is expensive. I dont want one with 100K miles, so it looks like i am going to spend 32 ish and I just can't afford it. I need a new job or some web page contract work!
smile.gif

Thanks for all the comments.

------------------

I have had several on-track sessions in my NSX at Sebring raceway with a black M-Coupe in my run group. My '94 has intake, exhaust and suspension mods as well as a performance chip. The BMW, I believe, was stock but running on Hoosier slicks. The owner is a member of the motorsports group I belong to and has extensive track and racing experience. I readily acknowledge his driving skill to be far better than my own. During our runs, I have been able to run him down and pass him consistently. The M does work very nicely in the corners, especially with the sticky rubber. The car's styling makes it definitely a model you either love or hate. I think it would be a fun car to toss around for a weekend but the NSX is a car you'll be thrilled to own. Just one man's opinion.

I concur with TampaBay, I have only a few track sessions under my belt, but I can consistently reel in the M Coupes. I don't know their experience levels as all the Porsche and M drivers I pass are pretty tight lipped at track events. Just my experience.

Seems there is a bunch of confusion regarding this comparison. For the record, the M3 moniker refers to the M3 coupe/sedan/convertible which are all distinct from M Coupe which is the hotrod BMW that looks like a shoe (or something else which is too vulgar to specify here).

The M Coupe is based upon the Z3 chassis, but is much stiffer, due to the hardtop. Nonetheless, the handling of the M Coupe is relatively worse than either the real M3 or the NSX. And it's down on power relative to the NSX, so it really can't compare - either from a handling or acceleration perspective. But you can throw a bike in the back, which I haven't figured out how to do with the NSX...

--twc (NSXCA & BMWCCA member)

99 Zanardi (s/c)
95 Dinan M3 (s/c)
95 M3 (stock)

My understanding was that the M Coupe had the same power as the M3, but without the weight, and a stiffer chassis. Wouldn't that give it the edge over the M3?

[My understanding was that the M Coupe had the same power as the M3, but without the weight, and a stiffer chassis. Wouldn't that give it the edge over the M3?]

The Z3 and M Coupe rear suspensions have semi-trailing arms from a pre-E36 chassis. Commonly described as "spooky" handling by BMW enthusiasts. (I certainly didn't appreciate the merits of the M coupe's wandering rear end.) Stiffer chassis than Z3 but don't know how it compares stiffness-wise with an M3 coupe. Power-to-weight ratio is only slightly better than stock M3 coupe (but not my Dinan M3!) and worse than NSX. NSX has a far better performance envelope.

--twc

P.S. The M Coupe was the next-to-last place slalom finisher in Motor Trend's July 99 Top-Speed Shootout, losing to all sport cars (including NSX) and only beating MB E55. The M3 coupe, in a 97 C&D Best-Handling comparison beat most of the sport cars (including NSX) in the slalom. No need to take the respective magazines' word for it though - next NSX-NW lunch, I'll be happy to let you drive my M3 coupe so that you can decide for yourself!

[This message has been edited by Number9 (edited 13 December 2000).]

Back