• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OBD1 engine code 16

Having a tough time this weekend. Need the gurus help, and anybody elses for that matter!!!

Rob Morrison rebuilt a spare engine for me, nothing exciting except for Comptech cams, freshening the block, balancing everything and some head work. Installed RC 440 injectors, a Walbro HP fuel pump as my resistor and pump went south at Barber two months ago, and planned to use the AEM to manage everything. Put the engine in the rat this weekend, hooked everything up and tried to fire her up. She turns over fine, but the fuel pressure regulator was faulty so the pump never stopped running. Replaced the fpr which solved the fuel pump issue, but still would not fire. Changed back to the stock ecu, nothing. Changed injectors back to stock. Two times it tried to fire, but would not catch. Pulled plugs and replace with another set figuring the original (one series cooler) were probably fouled by now with a new engine (oil in pistons) and extra gas due to the bigger injectors. Still nothing, not even the two little bits like before.

Pulled the codes, got a 16 - fuel injector. We have good fuel pressure, gauge on fuel rail reads 45 at key on and 55 when engine turning over. Pulled a plug, now here is where it gets funky. The plug has a tiny spark when the key is turned to on. When turned to start, it does not spark immediately, but does spark on the second revolution (good spark). Replaced ignition module, but will replace again with one from a running car to be sure. Retraced grounds. Retraced vacuum lines, including those that were sealed. Nothing so far. Goodson suggested the ignition module, cam angle sensor, and ecu. First is easy, the second will need to be borrowed, and the third a pain in the ass. Any other thoughts. I am hoping to drive her this weekend at VIR, my first full track event in over 18 months:(

Two Things

When you say "ignition module" do you mean the box about the size of a deck of cards, which is on top of the throttle body?

Before you go the crank angle sensor and / or ECU route, there may be one other item to look into. If I recall correctly, on the passenger side of the engine compartment at the inside top of the rear fender, is a small silver box. I think this is the "injector resistor" that hardly is mentioned. It is relatively inexpensive and a two-minute replacement job.

Sounds like the car is flooded, put everything back to stock and hold the trottle wideopen while cranking should fire up. When you had the aem plugged in did you have a map installed into the AEm. If improper map or no map at all car will flood out. As for the car getting a code kind of wierd. reset cod and try again

maybe it has nothing to do with the engine rebuild and has more to do with scrapping a starting system wire and/or connector while moving the engine out and in of the engine compartment? If you have a spark when you turn the key on, no spark in rev 1 and a spark in rev 2, you have a problem with the cars starting system.

I appreciate the input guys. Turns out it was an ignition module. It took three to find one that worked, but it fires every time now. Not sure why the injectors were implicated:(

Back