• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Observations on JH4NA2167VT000020

Re: It's baaaaack!

"We have been informed by a few members of a NSX forum that this vehicle was previously involved in an accident. Further, the vehicle was converted from T-tops to a coupe by the owner. The conversion and the body work have been done by Acura."

Conversion done by Acura? :eek: :confused:

I think these guys realized they got a snow job from the previous dealer that most likely sold it for a song to be rid of it! It's so sad that this happened to a monte carlo blue, it's my favorite nsx color along with white....

MCM said:
The conversion and the body work have been done by Acura."

Conversion done by Acura? :eek: :confused:
I would bet anything that (a) they don't know who did the conversion and body work (I know it was never mentioned on NSXprime), that (b) the conversion and body work was done by a private body shop that may or may not have been at an Acura dealership (some dealerships have a body repair department), and that (c) the mention of the conversion and body work being done by Acura is erroneous and is actually a reference to a different car (VIN JH4NA2160VT000019, also blue and coincidentally the previous one for the U.S. market on the NSX assembly line). As noted in the FAQ here, the latter car (which has always been an NSX-T) had a new rear end welded on and was driven cross-country to NSXPO '98 by an American Honda employee. And yes, the work on that car (but not the VT000020 one) was done in-house at American Honda headquarters. There may have been speculation on NSXprime that the VT000020 was the car repaired at American Honda, but it was not.

Well, regardless of all that, car looks pretty clean in the photos. I noticed the spare tire is not secured properly and the antenna is not retracted all the way. Interior looks kind of rough though for 10K miles. So, is this a factory coupe or not?

Cairo94507 said:
is this a factory coupe or not?
It is not. It left the factory as an NSX-T. It was in a major accident and converted to a coupe during the repair. You can read more about it in the other, lengthy topic(s) about it.

At least he put air in the tires this time.

And this is great >> "Keep in mind that 1997 coupes are very rare!"
Yea this is true- but this NSX sure as he11 isn't one !!!
-j-

I think they changed the description because I sent the dealer an email via EBAY about how the car has most likely been wrecked and that they should rightfully disclose that to the sellers.

I just feel horrible for anyone picking up this car and thinking its clean

I remember about 5 months back, when this car was in Florida, I considered buying it, and the dealer there said that the car had a few panels replaced because the wife of the owner caught him cheating and she responded by keying the car.

Something told me not to purchase it, even though at $40k, it looked like a steal!

Forums Nazi said:
Already posted, here.

Not to get in a pissing match with the forums nazi, but it is a new auction with "new disclosures." Plus that posting was a couple of months ago. :rolleyes:

Loks like someone fixed the paint (ie-removed it) on the plain brackets on the top corners of the radiator that Lud pointed out a longtime ago when he dissected pics of it with yellow circles & lines (and a paragraph on the back of each one)

NSXFreak00 said:
I think they changed the description because I sent the dealer an email via EBAY about how the car has most likely been wrecked and that they should rightfully disclose that to the sellers.

Ditto. I sent him all the previous links too from NSXprime related to this car.

-j-

comquat1 said:
Not to get in a pissing match with the forums nazi, but it is a new auction with "new disclosures." Plus that posting was a couple of months ago. :rolleyes:
I think the FN was referring to the other thread having been updated (before this thread had been started) to mention the current auction. See this post (which includes a quote from the ebay auction description before it was updated to mention the accident history).

Tom239 said:
I think the FN was referring to the other thread having been updated (before this thread had been started) to mention the current auction. See this post (which includes a quote from the ebay auction description before it was updated to mention the accident history).

I know... I saw...

I think you can see the masking marks around the VIN sticker in this pic:
DSC03880.JPG

Just out of curiosity, if someone were to purchase this vehicle, what is the general consensus on a fair price.....or is this to be avoided at all cost?
It's been for sale when I was looking for mine before I found Prime (whew!!).....I was seriously considering purchasing this a while back :eek:

Shkrmvr said:
Just out of curiosity, if someone were to purchase this vehicle, what is the general consensus on a fair price.....or is this to be avoided at all cost?
It's been for sale when I was looking for mine before I found Prime (whew!!).....I was seriously considering purchasing this a while back :eek:

I'd price it the same as a salvage repair. I generally don't follow the 3.2 cars, but I'm guessing $25 - $30K. It looks like the work was OK. Not great, but not horrific either. If I was choosing between a clean early car and this one for the same price, I think I'd go with good ole #20. It's my favorite color, it's a low mileage 3.2, and it's a 6 speed. That can cover for the flaws for me if they are equally priced.

Dave Hardy said:
If I was choosing between a clean early car and this one for the same price, I think I'd go with good ole #20. It's my favorite color, it's a low mileage 3.2, and it's a 6 speed. That can cover for the flaws for me if they are equally priced.

I was looking at this and thought it was targa because of the roof line and realize it was welded or something? I agree that spending 30 grand for this car would be tops since the engine and drivetrain is pretty fresh.

I would like to let people know that looking at the radiator not fitting flush tells me the car is twisted and probably dangerous if raced or bumped. Why dont' someone report to carfax and mark it as salvaged since that is what it looks like :confused:

gtr said:
I was looking at this and thought it was targa because of the roof line and realize it was welded or something? I agree that spending 30 grand for this car would be tops since the engine and drivetrain is pretty fresh.

I would like to let people know that looking at the radiator not fitting flush tells me the car is twisted and probably dangerous if raced or bumped. Why dont' someone report to carfax and mark it as salvaged since that is what it looks like :confused:

Harrier, the guy who last tried to sell it here privately erased most of his posts on the car and I can't remember if it was a salvage title back then. But my guess is that the title is washed.

Can someone show on that radiator pic how it's messed up? I can't see it.

Shkrmvr said:
what is the general consensus on a fair price.....
You can't come up with one.

You can estimate fair market value for a car that is similar to lots of other cars. For example, if you want to estimate fair market value for a '97 NSX-T with average mileage and condition, you can find a bunch of ad listings for other cars fitting that description, and use their asking prices to estimate a fair market value in a range a few thousand dollars. This means that if you had such a car, you could sell it within a reasonable time at or near that range, and if you wanted to buy such a car, you could also do so.

The problem with estimating fair market value for a "one of a kind" car is that you can't come up with anything comparable. And even if you found ONE other car that is similar, it isn't enough information to come up with an estimate. It will be too difficult to find a buyer if you're selling, and too difficult to find if you're looking for one. The same thing is true for a car that is extremely modified (or real estate, etc).

All you can say is that it should be a whole lot less than a '97 NSX-T with similar miles and condition and without the accident history. But there is no way to accurately estimate how much "a whole lot less" is. One person could say the discount should be 50 percent, and another could say it should be 20 percent, and all they are, are guesses.

I don't notice a radiator alignment problem, it's that things that aren't normally painted, were painted. Those curved grey brackets at the top outside ends of the radiator & headlight buckets as Lud noted.

Back