• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Observations on JH4NA2167VT000020

Re: It's baaaaack!

First Hand Documentation of 1997 blue NSX-T configured as a NSX Hardtop vin # JH4NA2167VT000020

First, my wife and I want to offer a Special Thanks to many members of this forum for their insights and comments, which helped minimize my financial loss after we purchased this car! Also thanks to Acura Automobile Division and Santa Monica Acura for their help. I have a letter from Acura that states, “Our records indicate this vehicle was manufactured as a NSX-T Removable Top as determined by the Vehicle Identification Number. Acura has not to date manufactured an NSX-T Hard Top vehicle…” This is a long story but I will try to condense it. My goal is to assist others when considering the purchase of this NSX-T configured as a NSX Hardtop.

My wife and I owned the NSX with VIN # JH4NA2167VT000020 from approximately February 5, 2003, until May 6, 2004, and I drove it for about 2,000 miles.

A Georgia Dealer, emotorgroup, advertised this car on ebay around January 2003, other internet sites and in the Atlanta paper. Emotorgroup Inc. was in Gainesville, Georgia. Shawn Janes owned the dealership and used the name “harrier” on NSXPrime. Shawn Janes had an associate named “Rudy” Rudranath Maharaj who operates Rudy’s Honda Acura Services, Inc., Gainesville, Ga.

In all the advertisements Shawn Janes identified this car as a NSX Hardtop. It was also identified as a NSX model on our Bill of Sale and related documents. (The title was not available at the time we purchased the car since it was supposedly “floor planned”) When we received the clean Georgia title, the car was described as NSX-T. Actually, Rudy’s Honda Acura Service had been in title and signed it over to Emotorgroup. Then the fun began. When Shawn Janes refused to accept the car back, I sued both him and Rudranath Maharaj. Also I started to document the history of this car for my legal action. My wife found excellent member comments and incriminating comments by “harrier”, the dealer, on NSXPrime. At the same time I filed extensive evidence with the Georgia State Board of Registration of Used Motor Vehicle Dealers, State of Georgia Governor’s Office of Consumer Affairs and the FBI. Eventually, I was able to file the same evidence with the dealer’s surety bond company, CNA Surety.

Here is the history of this car based upon state title documents and my findings. This car was originally was leased from Santa Monica Acura through American Honda Finance on 05/26/1997 with 75 miles on the odometer. During this time it was apparently wrecked, but details unknown. On 09/24/1997 American Honda Finance sold the car to Arthur’s Auto Wholesale through Southern California Auto Auction, Fontana, CA. On 12/02/1997 Arthur’s Auto Wholesale, Burbank CA sold/transferred the car to United Auto Sales, Burbank, CA. The mileage shows as 288. The next sale/transfer occurred on 06/13/2002 when United Auto Service sold it to David Reyes, Phoenix AZ. The mileage was stated at 325 and the sales amount $13,000. An Arizona title number 411M002288001 was issued to David Edcardo Reyes on 10/15/2002. showing the mileage as 3,735. This AZ title was issued from the original California title number CA26010781 which is the original American Honda Finance Corp title. The AZ title shows the model as a “NST”. (Note: there are 2 stickers on the title, apparently from the auction company showing this as a 97 Acur NSX-T Blue). On 11/26/2002 Rudy’s Honda Acura Service applied for a Georgia title. The title application shows the Series/Model as a NSX-T. Georgia title number 774591023306010 was issued as a Model NSX-T on 11/30/2002 showing a purchase date of 11/04/2002 and mileage of 4,287. My wife and I were the next purchasers. So No salvage or builders titles appears in the chain of title and that is how a clean Car Fax can still be obtained.

I paid for two professional appraisals plus had the car evaluated by an authorized Acura dealer and two specialized high-end dealerships. A couple of quotes from Auto Appraisal Group Inc. “ Roof: “Targa” Roof panel and roof assembly has been removed at the belt line replaced with a non-removable roof panel and roof assembly from a coupe. Substandard bodywork and paint. When the owner removed the inner left sail panel cover to inspect the left rear attachment point, a piece of “bondo” (body filler) fell out.” “Frame rails: Right frame rail had a 6” piece welded into it. All frame machine attachment points were very distorted and torn indicating heavy frame repair, …probably the result of a “roll over”.” Neither the authorized Acura dealer nor two high-end sports car dealers were willing to purchase the car. Period. On an open FL title, I sold the car through ebay to a knowledgeable dealer who had a party who wanted THIS car.

In the end, I dropped my suit since the dealer had few assets. I collected some bond money from the dealer’s bonding company, CNA. I don’t have positive words for CNA, as they did not pay out the complete bond. CNA admitted their client’s actions were fraudulent, but basically said, “take this amount or sue us”. Unfortunately, the Georgia Insurance Commissioner was of no help on this issue. Also the Georgia State Board of Registration Used Motor Vehicle Dealers (who requires the bond) never ruled on my complaint saying the dealer went out of business. Also, State of Georgia Governor’s Office of Consumer Affairs refused to take any action. Please note that the dealer, Shawn Janes, is now a Real Estate Broker in the Atlanta GA area. Buyer beware!

When Global Motor Cars of Houston first offered the car on ebay, I contacted them explaining that I had collected under a dealer bond on this car. Global called me, and we discussed the car. I faxed 9 pages of documentation (out of the hundreds of pages I have), including my Acura letter, to Global. Certainly, Global’s claim that, “The conversion and the body work have been done by Acura” cannot be substantiated. There is NO evidence that an Acura dealership did any body work or conversion. Quite the opposite, as documented by two professional appraisals.

That explains a lot of its history. THANK YOU for posting here!

florange said:
During this time it was apparently wrecked, but details unknown. On 09/24/1997 American Honda Finance sold the car to Arthur’s Auto Wholesale through Southern California Auto Auction, Fontana, CA. On 12/02/1997 Arthur’s Auto Wholesale, Burbank CA sold/transferred the car to United Auto Sales, Burbank, CA. The mileage shows as 288. The next sale/transfer occurred on 06/13/2002 when United Auto Service sold it to David Reyes, Phoenix AZ. The mileage was stated at 325 and the sales amount $13,000.
I can just picture them saying, "Gee, if we don't register the car and just let it sit around a junkyard for five years, maybe no one will think it was ever in an accident"...

i had purchased (sort of) this car from a dealer in Naples in Feb 2005 for $40k........ i had someone check it out first and they said it looked awesome.

then.....i found on this website the history of it and i backed out.... the naples dealer didn't seem to mind.... I had even sent a $40k check, but luckily it all worked out for me.

I agree.... now that everything has been disclosed the buyer should have no issues.... they know what they are getting into.

it may be a GREAT car at this point?? supposedly the Naples guy had $10k of work done to it to make it look like new.

What a strange car.

Re: It's baaaaack!

When i attempted to buy the car from the guy in Naples in early 2005, he said that somone in florida had owned it, but it had gotten "keyed" is why it had recently been repainted....ahhaha... then the true story came out after I found it on this website....

florange said:
First Hand Documentation of 1997 blue NSX-T configured as a NSX Hardtop vin # JH4NA2167VT000020

First, my wife and I want to offer a Special Thanks to many members of this forum for their insights and comments, which helped minimize my financial loss after we purchased this car! Also thanks to Acura Automobile Division and Santa Monica Acura for their help. I have a letter from Acura that states, “Our records indicate this vehicle was manufactured as a NSX-T Removable Top as determined by the Vehicle Identification Number. Acura has not to date manufactured an NSX-T Hard Top vehicle…” This is a long story but I will try to condense it. My goal is to assist others when considering the purchase of this NSX-T configured as a NSX Hardtop.

My wife and I owned the NSX with VIN # JH4NA2167VT000020 from approximately February 5, 2003, until May 6, 2004, and I drove it for about 2,000 miles.

A Georgia Dealer, emotorgroup, advertised this car on ebay around January 2003, other internet sites and in the Atlanta paper. Emotorgroup Inc. was in Gainesville, Georgia. Shawn Janes owned the dealership and used the name “harrier” on NSXPrime. Shawn Janes had an associate named “Rudy” Rudranath Maharaj who operates Rudy’s Honda Acura Services, Inc., Gainesville, Ga.

In all the advertisements Shawn Janes identified this car as a NSX Hardtop. It was also identified as a NSX model on our Bill of Sale and related documents. (The title was not available at the time we purchased the car since it was supposedly “floor planned”) When we received the clean Georgia title, the car was described as NSX-T. Actually, Rudy’s Honda Acura Service had been in title and signed it over to Emotorgroup. Then the fun began. When Shawn Janes refused to accept the car back, I sued both him and Rudranath Maharaj. Also I started to document the history of this car for my legal action. My wife found excellent member comments and incriminating comments by “harrier”, the dealer, on NSXPrime. At the same time I filed extensive evidence with the Georgia State Board of Registration of Used Motor Vehicle Dealers, State of Georgia Governor’s Office of Consumer Affairs and the FBI. Eventually, I was able to file the same evidence with the dealer’s surety bond company, CNA Surety.

Here is the history of this car based upon state title documents and my findings. This car was originally was leased from Santa Monica Acura through American Honda Finance on 05/26/1997 with 75 miles on the odometer. During this time it was apparently wrecked, but details unknown. On 09/24/1997 American Honda Finance sold the car to Arthur’s Auto Wholesale through Southern California Auto Auction, Fontana, CA. On 12/02/1997 Arthur’s Auto Wholesale, Burbank CA sold/transferred the car to United Auto Sales, Burbank, CA. The mileage shows as 288. The next sale/transfer occurred on 06/13/2002 when United Auto Service sold it to David Reyes, Phoenix AZ. The mileage was stated at 325 and the sales amount $13,000. An Arizona title number 411M002288001 was issued to David Edcardo Reyes on 10/15/2002. showing the mileage as 3,735. This AZ title was issued from the original California title number CA26010781 which is the original American Honda Finance Corp title. The AZ title shows the model as a “NST”. (Note: there are 2 stickers on the title, apparently from the auction company showing this as a 97 Acur NSX-T Blue). On 11/26/2002 Rudy’s Honda Acura Service applied for a Georgia title. The title application shows the Series/Model as a NSX-T. Georgia title number 774591023306010 was issued as a Model NSX-T on 11/30/2002 showing a purchase date of 11/04/2002 and mileage of 4,287. My wife and I were the next purchasers. So No salvage or builders titles appears in the chain of title and that is how a clean Car Fax can still be obtained.

I paid for two professional appraisals plus had the car evaluated by an authorized Acura dealer and two specialized high-end dealerships. A couple of quotes from Auto Appraisal Group Inc. “ Roof: “Targa” Roof panel and roof assembly has been removed at the belt line replaced with a non-removable roof panel and roof assembly from a coupe. Substandard bodywork and paint. When the owner removed the inner left sail panel cover to inspect the left rear attachment point, a piece of “bondo” (body filler) fell out.” “Frame rails: Right frame rail had a 6” piece welded into it. All frame machine attachment points were very distorted and torn indicating heavy frame repair, …probably the result of a “roll over”.” Neither the authorized Acura dealer nor two high-end sports car dealers were willing to purchase the car. Period. On an open FL title, I sold the car through ebay to a knowledgeable dealer who had a party who wanted THIS car.

In the end, I dropped my suit since the dealer had few assets. I collected some bond money from the dealer’s bonding company, CNA. I don’t have positive words for CNA, as they did not pay out the complete bond. CNA admitted their client’s actions were fraudulent, but basically said, “take this amount or sue us”. Unfortunately, the Georgia Insurance Commissioner was of no help on this issue. Also the Georgia State Board of Registration Used Motor Vehicle Dealers (who requires the bond) never ruled on my complaint saying the dealer went out of business. Also, State of Georgia Governor’s Office of Consumer Affairs refused to take any action. Please note that the dealer, Shawn Janes, is now a Real Estate Broker in the Atlanta GA area. Buyer beware!

When Global Motor Cars of Houston first offered the car on ebay, I contacted them explaining that I had collected under a dealer bond on this car. Global called me, and we discussed the car. I faxed 9 pages of documentation (out of the hundreds of pages I have), including my Acura letter, to Global. Certainly, Global’s claim that, “The conversion and the body work have been done by Acura” cannot be substantiated. There is NO evidence that an Acura dealership did any body work or conversion. Quite the opposite, as documented by two professional appraisals.

Wow, I've seen that car on eBay. I honestly can't believe that some of these people can look at themselves in the mirror. I've been a car dealer for 2 years. I've only sold 4 cars (after driving them for months myself - it's a hobby), but I go to a lot of auctions, so I know what these guys do.

Dealers are normally the dirtbags we all think they are. Even at the auctions, it's a big game of "screw the other dealers," where dealers bring in cars like this, pawn them off on other unsuspecting dealers, and walk away clean. Then you've got the dealers that actually look for cars like this because they know they can get them for thousands less, and sell them at the normal price.

It's extremely hard for an "honest" dealer to make any profit, especially with all the other dealers out to screw you. On the 4 cars I sold, I cost myself around $2000 just satisfying my peace of mind by fixing things that the buyer wouldn't ever know about until months later. One was brakes (rotors) on an Accord - coulda told the buyer "it just needs brakes," and let them discover it needed 2 rotors too (expensive on the Accord). Another was an Audi A4. I noticed a very tiny oil drip a few days after I got it home. Turned out to be a seal. They said $200 to stop it, or $1200 to fix it all like new (timing belt/water pump too). Rather than let the next owner find out that for themselves, I plopped out $1200 to fix it. That was a good move too, since my sister ended up buying that one.

I don't think I could make it if I had to sell cars for a living. Reading stuff like this scares me, and just makes me generally sad. I know I'm lucky to have found and purchased my NSX from the extremely nice original owner, even if it did take about 5 years of searching.

Keep up the good detective work guys!

Back