• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Odd transmission occurance.....

So, I was driving to Arizona for a week long vacation. It is about 12 hours of driving from the Sacramento area. I had the cruise control ON and was going 75-80 most of the time in fifth gear.

I was going up a hill, steep but not too steep. All the sudden i am pushed forward a little, like when the RPM's drop when decelerating. I look down and the shifter is in neutral. I was like oh shit, but then i put the clutch in and shifted back into gear and it was fine. Made it the whole rest of the trip with no incedent. The transmission only has 60k miles and shifts great, clutch is good.

I have never had something like this in the 8 cars i have had (all MT cars)

It seems as though it was a freak occurance, but just wondering if anyone had this happen before

So, I was driving to Arizona for a week long vacation. It is about 12 hours of driving from the Sacramento area. I had the cruise control ON and was going 75-80 most of the time in fifth gear.

I was going up a hill, steep but not too steep. All the sudden i am pushed forward a little, like when the RPM's drop when decelerating. I look down and the shifter is in neutral. I was like oh shit, but then i put the clutch in and shifted back into gear and it was fine. Made it the whole rest of the trip with no incedent. The transmission only has 60k miles and shifts great, clutch is good.

I have never had something like this in the 8 cars i have had (all MT cars)

It seems as though it was a freak occurance, but just wondering if anyone had this happen before

This happened to me right before my snap ring failed.

Well, I was told when I bought the car by two different people that my car was not in the snap ring range.....

Since you guys both report this happening prior to snap ring failure, it scared me into going out to check the car again.

My tranny number is J4A4 1000964, which according to the wiki is not in the range.

My car is Candian though, I am not sure if that makes a difference...

I have put at least 1000 miles on it since this happened, being that it was a road trip, with no issues.

Your transmission does not have to be in the snap ring serial range for it to fail. I think they are more likely to fail if they are in that range. You'll know when the shifter is feels super loose.

While driving slowly, put the car in 2nd and make it lurch, just like you did when you were learning to drive. See if you can feel the stick shifting forward and backward.

Back